Hill Climb Racing 2 Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 12, 2017
There are no words, and my mastery of language is insufficient to describe the beauty of the writings of Tanith Lee. In "Night's Master", the first of a trilogy, the reader is introduced to the Flat Earth, Azhrarn, prince of the Vazdru, and Sivesh. First you will find out how a mortal pays the price for betraying the demon that loves him, then you will follow that demon as he treads the world and experiences the world of mortals whilst toying with them... and learning about himself.
The stories are ornate, robust, and complex. Lee makes the entranced reader feel all of the subtle, and not-so-subtle emotions of the characters. This is one of the very, very few books that can pull the reader to a greater realm where they can learn more about even themselves.
on July 25, 2017
Somewhere back in the late '70s or very early '80s, I first read "Nights"s Master". I was in my teens and thought I was so very aware of the world. I loved the book then, I now realize how young and innocent I was. But that is a good thing! Upon reading it again, 30 something years later, I found a richer, more wonderful story. Suffice it to say, the book I read then, and the book I read this last week were, while exactly the same words in the same order, not the same story. An excellent read!
on July 29, 2013
I use this novel as a textbook in a course called "Sympathy for the Devil" (4 fantasy novels, all by women, featuring supernatural male protagonists who are all defined as "devils" in some sense). This book is actually more of a collection of interrelated stories than a novel. It is meant to seem both ancient and timeless, and has an "Arabian Nights" feel. Every story includes a lesson, and the climax of the plot is both logical and unexpected. Tanith Lee's jewelled language perfectly suits the subject-matter. There are 2 versions that I know of: an out-of-print paperback from DAW Books, and a larger, more expensive paperback from Norilana Books, with a cover designed by the author's artist husband. (The Norilana book is more attractive, but the DAW cover is delightfully cheesy.)
on July 19, 2012
After reading several short stories written by Tanith Lee in an Arkham House publication and being suitably impressed I decided on a whim to buy "Night's Master". All I knew when clicking the buy button on Amazon was that the book contained Demons, Gods and fantasy elements revolving around the premise of the Earth being flat. Because of Lee's skill and eloquence in writing the short stories mentioned above I was prepared for an interesting read but I was not prepared for the sheer beauty of how this book is written and how pleasurable it was to read. Lee writes with the constant and steady flow of a stream with the book comprised of various short stories threaded together seamlessly. Having just finished reading and looking back I guess I could say that there is no grand plot to which the short stories adhere to other than perhaps Azhrarn's "growth" in spirit. The book contains many subtle lessons to be learned by the reader from the various human and supernatural characters and their adventures contained within. I was reminded more than once of old European fairy tales and folklore before Disney purchased and homogenized them. More to that i can not say as it would reveal too much but what I can say is that each story is as unique as it is interesting and I found myself smiling at each point of discovery at how they were related to each other. A thoroughly enjoyable book that i shall read many times in my life i think. I have recommended this book to several like minded friends of mine but I would not recommend it to anyone with strong religious beliefs. Spiritual yes but religious no.

As for the binding of the book (hard cover version), the boards are solid and strong, the paper is quality and thick and the binding is tight. Overall a quality pressing for the price. I did find that after reading the front cover wouldn't close back down completely almost as if the page contents had swelled and wouldn't allow the book to close all the way but i found that placing the book between two larger books over night remedied this.
on March 5, 2013
I read this first time in french in high shcool in the late 1990's and i fell into a world ten times wonderland, ten times Lotr! It's unique, it's fantastic and it's like looking at an ancient richly embroderied tapestry. If you step back, you see one complex coherent fluid tale take place. If you step closer, you see a million of little stories being lived and toled like only a master of such story telling can deliver the product. The imagery is rich, the story is rich, the characteres are attaching. I find myself 15 years later remembering their names, their adventures, their stories.
on September 3, 2017
Flat Earth is one of Tanith Lee's best series, and this does not dissapoint.
on February 15, 2014
Once in a very great while, we encounter a perfect book. Tanith Lee's NIGHT'S MASTER is just such a work. I won't say "I wish I could give it ten stars" because in truth, Lee's collection of interwoven short stories rises well above the conventional star system. Flat Earth is a place where imagination is completely set free. Engaging, passionate, sensual, and cruel; with surprising and fulfilling moments of true heroism. Told with prose that reads like poetry. I could keep raving about it, but really, YOU should be reading the story instead. Get a copy of this book. You won't regret it.
on February 18, 2014
Tanith Lee is a excellent story teller! I have never fallen so deep or in love with any character, as I have with hers. These tales read as if your gazing at the beginning of time and of things that have been lost. The poetry and prose is sensual on the tongue. This really is a treat for the mind. The way things stay long after you have turned the page. This is a all encompassing mythic world that drags one through relentlessly and w/o remorse. It's as beautiful as it is terrifying and death truly takes all equally. All in all though this is an amazing book.
on March 2, 2014
As a fantasy reader, Im not quite sure how I had never heard of Tanith Lee before. Her prose is beautiful and reads with power. The worlds, and quests and characters are dynamic and imaginative, the worlds you are transported to are like a dream. Makes me look at the night sky with wonder. Outstanding.
on August 15, 2014
I first read this book in '88. I enjoyed it then and still find it a great read a quarter century later. For those lovers of the classic literatures you will find this a more than suitable companion to add to your collection.