Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on May 20, 2016
Still my go to camera. Produces the best images to date in my opinion. Micro-contrast is what separates this from all others. You normally have to spend thousands of dollars to achieve similar results with any other camera. Neither the D810,D800, nor 750 can reproduce this. I don't understand why more people don't buy these up. I'm keeping mine forever!
10 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on October 31, 2014
When I purchased a Nikon D800, I was about to sell off my D700. I never did sell my D700 because it is still my preferred camera for walking around. (The D800 is really a camera that should be mounted on a tripod to get those hi-res sharp images). It's low-light performance is good and it has all the shooting options one could want. So, now I use both cameras... the D700 is perfect for more casual and mobile shooting of high-quality, full-frame images.
12 people found this helpful
on August 16, 2013
I bought this used on Amazon in pristine condition, which opened up a number of opportunities to use my Nikon lenses from the film days in the way they were intended. This is a boon for folks who gravitate to the wide-angle end of the lens spectrum.

With lens factor no longer a consideration, wide-angle lenses like 28mm are again true wide-angle and not the equivalent of something between 35-50mm anymore. My decade old Sigma 12-24mm wide-angle zoom has found new life, particularly at 12mm.

The D700 has surprisingly respectable low-light/high ISO capability, allowing the use of ISO6400 as the upper range of the "Auto-ISO" setting.

The relatively small image files are easily manageable on the computer due to the 12.1MP sensor. In fact, this may a good reason to go for a used D700 rather than a new D600/D800 -- the files from the D700 are smaller and more convenient in terms of work flow in Lightroom or Photoshop.

There are a significant number of cost-effective Nikon film-era lenses available used which will work on a D700. One can easily procure an entire set of used iconic Nikon lenses for the cost of a single modern-era F2.8 pro zoom.

The best thing about the D700 may be the coverage and size of the viewfinder.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 4, 2012
I just got my new D700 yesterday. I have use a D40, D3000 & D90. I wanted the D700 for the low noise low light performance. I shoot events.
I was trying to decide between the D700 and the D7000. I labored with my decision for months. I had always wanted the D700 but had begun considering the D7000 due to the much lower price...and lens inventory. The reviews swayed me left and right and was no closer to making my decision.
I decided not to wait any longer and get the D7000, after all, some of the reviews claimed as good or even better at high ISOs. I only used it for a couple hours and knew it was not the move I expected from the D90. It made me realize that the D90 is an excellent camera up to ISO 800...I actually have greater respect for my D90 now. I found the D7000, even though fairly good performance in ISO 1600, was soft. It reminded me of Canons..whose high resolution are pretty good but soft in low light. This may be due to excessive noise reduction, so please don't take this as a negative comment about Canons. Just my preference and experience(limited with Canons) I could have kept the D7000 and enjoyed marginal performance over the D90 but I was looking for a leap.
So then I waited and waited for the D700 to be available. Amazon.com alerted me via email of availability and I did not hesitate. It came immediately, I paid for next day for just 4.00, being a prime member. I instantly checked my shutter count and it was 6 after shooting several images!
It is here now in my hands and due to time limitations, I have not given it enough tests but so far, I am floored...my eyes are tired from popping in amazement from the performance.
I have shot at ISOs 2500 and to my disbelief, images were actually brighter than my eyes saw them. This has to be due to excellent dynamic range. This was similar to the D7000 but the images were sharper, bokeh cleaner, colors richer and more honest.
Will provide more updates to this review because it is premature but I cannot contain my immense fulfillment so far with this product. BTW, the D800 was not a consideration because I honestly did not want to deal with the heavy resolution image sizes for an event.
on August 31, 2015
I have transitioned from the D50 to the D90 to the D300s and now to a used D700 (from Green Earth Values). i am always a bit behind the curve, not being an "Early Adopter." I am, at best, an avid amateur, so the latest and greatest is not necessarily an issue for me. I had gotten used to the dual card slots on the D300s, and so was a bit concerned about losing that capability, but so far, it has proved not to be an issue. The color rendition is superb, and it seems to fit my hand comfortably. I paired it with the Nikkor f/4 24-120VR offering and I believe that it will work for me.

I made the switch in order to get into FF, and I considered the D600/E but the oil issue caused me to back off, but perhaps that will happen someday.
3 people found this helpful
on October 27, 2017
I love this camera. It exceeds my expectations in picture quality and autofocus. However, KEH listed it in very good to excellent condition but the body I received from KEH is scratched, banged up a bit, faded, etc. I can see where the rubber has come off at some point and someone did a very poor job reapplying it. Shame on KEH but kudos for Nikon for making such a great camera.
3 people found this helpful
on January 24, 2013
4/1/13 Update: It's been nearly a year and this camera has still met all my expectations. I've shot a variety of subjects from sports to studio to street and it's not let me down. Recently, I've done a car shoot and some night street photography during SXSW here in Austin with some amazing results.

With the money I've saved (vs. getting a D800), I've been able to add other photography gear like a studio strobe, lighting modifiers, and the AWESOME Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AFS.

I'd eventually like to add a D3S or D800E as a primary (and keep the D700 for a backup camera) in 8-12 months.

For those considering the D600 and D700: if you're a hobbyist, the D600 will probably meet 99% of your needs. It's got a great 24MP sensor, improved high ISO capability, smaller body, dual card slots, movie mode, etc. Basically a mid-range DSLR camera with all the features one would expect in 2012/2013. I can't speak to the quality issues regarding oil spots on the sensor, but on paper, the D600 is a great full frame camera for the money. Pro's may consider one as a backup body.

Where the D700 trumps it is in ergonomics, weather sealing, and autofocus. If any of those matter, then the D700 is still a very strong contender.

Original review: I won't get into the specs, but give my take on how this camera holds up being a generation older than the current competition.

At current used prices it matches up very closely to the new Nikon full frame kid on the block-- D600, although the ergonomics and features of the D700 are closer to the the D800.

The D700's lineage is from the mighty D3 so you're getting essentially the same camera in a smaller body. Slap on the optional hand grip and you can fire away at 8 FPS. The sensor and processor don't quite match up today's semipro DSLRs, but it is still VERY GOOD. Unless you're always shooting in the dark with no flash, images are clean up to ISO 3200 and still usable at ISO 6400 with the proper exposure and post processing. I rarely go up to 3200, so that was no big deal to me.

The only major omission is the lack of a movie mode, though that really wasn't a deal breaker for me. Other features you may miss: No custom modes on the mode dial, single card slot (unlockable), and live view isn't that useful.

It's hard not to get caught up with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), but you really have to consider that last gen cameras are still capable of producing the same high quality images as any new camera today. Besides, the money saved could be best used for lenses, lighting, and photography lessons.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I've been trying to relive the feeling I got shooting Ektachrome and Kodachrome for years. Especially printing on Ilford Pearl paper. Somehow, my D200 and D300 (let alone my $1K 995) always fell short, and I tried to make up for that by shooting HDR exposures. It was a real joke on the photo trips I've been on, firing off nine frames at a time. The first couple of days after I bought this camera, I was shooting along the Chicago river with a group. This was the final bridge raising for people to get their boats out of Lake Michigan to safety for the winter. I didn't bother to read the manual except on how to map the function button to use the virtual horizon feature, which I thought was neat. Here I am, standing in the shadows under a bridge and trying to figure out how to bracket exposure for HDR. There is no bracket button on the camera, unlike the D200 or D300. I give up, and just start shooting. I'm underneath a raising bridge, shooting a sailboat, with a bright sky and the Tribune Building in the background. I shot a couple hundred frames in a couple of hours, following the boats down the river, when I got home I expected nothing. I later found out I had remapped the Fn button from bracket to virtual horizon. Lo and behold, I was able to pull out shadows beneath the bridge, clouds, the "Chicago Tribune" lettering on the building, and even the John Hancock's building antennas in the distance. This is all with a wide angle Nikkor 14-24 lens, so it's not like I was zooming anywhere, let alone a half mile away. I just can't say enough good things about this camera's exposure latitude and detail retention. I'll still bracket, but not be obsessive about it.

On a more practical level, I did not want to buy this camera. I kept thinking a new model is coming out, so I would wait. But, I injured my right hand really bad, which will most likely take another 6 months to heal, and I figured the ISO boost along with some fast lenses, would at least let me to get out shooting again. I'm happy, I set the ISO to go up to 3200 on auto, went out shooting, and those shots with a little bit of noise reduction are fine. With my D200 the limit was about 400, with my D300 realistically 800. The first shot I took with this camera was in my apartment, and I couldn't believe that a black light stand in front of a black subwoofer still showed definition.

Keep in mind that low light shots at ISO's higher than 3200 are going to show noise. A lot of noise in low light.

Also on a practical level, I was also able to use all of my D300's accessories, except for a right angle viewfinder and a diopter adapter. Plus, this model has been going down in price. I bought this and a Nikkor 14-24 as a combo from Amazon for about 3650, the equivalent locally was 1250 more, and I can only imagine the next model will be more money with no instant rebate.

[...]

I'd get this camera for what it does now, and not wait to pay a whole lot more for the next model. This might actually be the last camera I buy for a few years.

As far as I'm concerned, I've gone back 30 years in time, I love it.
on February 18, 2013
I've had this camera for over two years now and I recently purchased a Nikon AF medium zoom lens for it. (I chose this camera because it was full-frame, had a live-view screen, and supported nine of my older but still excellent Nikkor AI lenses.) Every time I pick up this camera and I aim, compose, focus (sometimes I have to gently touch the shutter release button to have it auto-focus) and shoot, I realize that we mere mortals are unworthy of such a wonderful piece of photographic equipment. It's too easy...

I felt really bad about abandoning my two old Nikon Fs, but I love this camera. Over two hundred npeople gave this camera a 5-star rating because it's that good. They can't all be Nikon employees :)
7 people found this helpful
on March 21, 2017
It's a full frame DSLR with a big LCD screen and a pretty extensive menu. This being my only digital camera, it has and is serving me well. Digital cameras come and go while my film cameras stay...however, I know this will be my final digital camera because it is absolutely perfect.
2 people found this helpful