- Receive a free 8x11 Shutterfly Photo Book promo code via email with select digital camera, lens, sports & action camera, network attached storage, external hard drive, or memory card purchase. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G Vibration ...” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 45% off the $196.95 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
|Price:||$196.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
Overall score: 81%
See review summary and sample images
What is DPReview and its awards?
Digital Photography Review is the most popular dedicated enthusiast digital photography site on the Internet. Our authoritative reviews have earned us the trust of photographers and camera buyers all over the world, for more than 15 years.
Gold and Silver Awards are given to products that deserve special recognition based on how well they perform relative to their competitors at the time of review.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 18-55mm lens with f3.5-5.6 maximum aperture for Nikon DSLR cameras
- Focal length equivalent to 27 to 82.5mm in 35mm photography
- Features a Silent Wave Motor and and Vibration Reduction (VR)
- 0.28 meter/0.9 foot closest focusing distance throughout the entire zoom range
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Aperture Control Design||Aperture controlled by camera|
|Compatible Lens Hood Part Number||HB-45|
|Compatible Mountings||Nikon F (DX)|
|Focus Type||Micro-type ultrasonic|
|Image Stabilization||vibration reduction, 3 stops|
|Item Dimensions||2.87 x 2.87 x 3.15 inches|
|Item Display Weight||263 grams|
|Item Weight||0.58 pounds|
|Lens Type||Zoom lens|
|Macro Focus Range||0.28 m|
|Material Type||Plastic barrel, plastic mount|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F3.5 - F5.6|
|Maximum Focal Length||55 mm|
|Maximum Format Size||APS-C / DX|
|Minimum Focal Length||18 mm|
|Minimum Focal Range||10.8 inches|
|Number of Diaphragm Blades||7|
|Number of Elements||11|
|Number of Groups||8|
|Photo Filter Thread Size||55 mm|
|Real Angle Of View||76|
|Shipping Weight||0.88 pounds|
|Zoom Type||Motorized Zoom|
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||BlutekUSA||Amazon.com||Audio Dealz|
|Compatible Mountings||Nikon F (DX)||Nikon F (DX)||Nikon F (DX)||Nikon F|
|Dimensions||2.87 inches x 3.15 inches x 2.87 inches||2.87 inches x 3.15 inches x 2.87 inches||2.36 inches x 2.6 inches x 2.36 inches||3.7 inches x 5.2 inches x 3.7 inches|
|Item Weight||0.58 pounds||Information not provided||0.43 pounds||0.73 pounds|
|Lens||Zoom lens||Zoom lens||Zoom lens||Nikkor|
|Max Focal Length||55 mm||55 mm||55 mm||55 mm|
|Min Focal Length||18 mm||18 mm||18 mm||18 mm|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Review summary from DPReview
This is a small, lightweight and versatile lens, which deserves a place in every DX-shooter's bag. Overall there's little to criticise about this lens given its entry-level price point, and the few faults it does possess are scarcely unique in its class.
Scoring is relative only to the other products in the same category.
Sample images from DPReview
Sample images for Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
From the Manufacturer
Nikon is pleased to add to the lineup the new AF-S DX-Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR, a lens featuring a built-in Silent Wave Motor and Vibration Reduction (VR). The AF-S DX-Nikkor 18- 55mm f3.5-5.6G VR is an affordable, and compact, 3x zoom lens with amazing versatility. This new lens provides enhanced shooting flexibility as the latest addition to the Nikon DX-Nikkor lens lineup.
Feature and Performance Highlights
- 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm (picture angle is equivalent to focal length from 27 to 82.5mm in Nikon FX or 35mm format)
- Vibration Reduction enables sharper pictures while shooting at shutter speeds up to three stops slower than would otherwise be possible (as determined by Nikon performance tests)
- Optical design, optimized for use with Nikon digital SLRs for superior performance
- Hybrid aspherical lens element minimizes various types of lens aberration
- High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction while substantially reducing ghosting and flare
- Nikon's exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
- 0.28 meter/0.9 foot closest focusing distance throughout the entire zoom range
- Accepts 52mm filter attachments
- Comfortable lens barrel features rugged construction; separate zoom and focusing rings provide the smooth operation preferred by professionals
What's in the box:
Nikon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom lens, LC-52 front lens cap, rear lens protector
In-depth review from dpreview.com:
Top Customer Reviews
If you generally do lots of flash or outdoor photography, and don't tend to experience slower shutter speeds due to lighting issues, or take most of your shots at the wider end of the scale (i.e. 18-25mm) this lens is probably an upgrade that you can either do with or without.Read more ›
That brings me to the words: walk around lenses and kit lenses; the first implying, correctly, that one is not setting out on a specific assignment or self-assigned photo shoot..its a casual thing, and the second terms "Kit Lens has come to imply a consumer/pro-sumer less than stellar, cheap lens. OK...so let's look at this less than bank breaking optic. Please note; I am a purist and reach for a single focal length prime whenever I can or carry a zoom of exceptional quality. I have other lenses that cover the focal length of this lens with a D700, a wonderful piece of equipment, but I chose to acquire this lens for the lightest carry around possible.
Yes it is, (The popular term of derision "plasticity") but, and there are several of them,; it works well and is sharp! While I am not enamored of the plastic mount; I did not acquire the lens with the idea of subjecting it to the rigors and ravages of situations that will do it in. I don't abuse my equipment by either design or stupidity. It is what it is; one of best "Kit Lenses" you are going to encounter! I have 6 (16 x 20 prints) on my desk now taken with this lens and they are perfect. I am not to give any construction Kudos here, but if you know what you are doing the optics are fine and the out put excellent.Read more ›
When my lens came without the warranty card, I called the company and was told it must be "lost" and I would have to return the lens and order another. So I called Nikon who checked the serial number of my lens and said it is not even in their system. They said unless the lens is sold by an authorized dealer, they will not warranty it. Buyer beware.
This lens is a diamond in the rough because of its relatively superb optical quality in addition to VR. No other Nikon lens has the value of this lens since it can be had used for just over $100 and that is a steal.
Why it doesn't cost more, the cons:
1) Construction materials are plastic
2) Blatant distortion at 18mm and 55mm wide open
3) Slower f-stops (F3.5 @ 18mm and F5.6 @ 55mm)
4) DX design means not fully compatible with Full Frame (D)SLRs
Why is this such lens such a value, the pros:
1) VR ... VR ... VR
2) Super lightweight and when paired with a plastic bodied Nikon is a superb travel companion
3) 11 elements in 8 groups, including one hybrid aspherical element.
4) Produced as kit lens, means used market has saturated
My pros list is short but to expand on the hybrid aspherical element as to what it does it substantially compensates for distortion aberrations at wide angles and effectively eliminates comatic flare.
Its a challenge to compare the Nikon 17-55mm to the 18-55vr since they are built for two different reasons but at a technical level they share a common (albeit different) special lens element technology. The 17-55 utilizes ground aspherical lenses and the 18-55vr utilizes a single hybrid aspherical lens.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Came in a nicely shipped box nothing broken very satisfied with the pics it takesPublished 8 days ago by Amazon Customer
Good lens for the Nikon DSLR's. Worked perfectly out of the box and has a good range. Overall decent lens.Published 25 days ago by Amazon Customer
Excellent product for "used" description. Working great and was like brand new! Very nice!Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
This is a really nice lens for daily use. I am a photographer for my school's newspaper and I use this lens with my D80 on a daily basis. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Luke
This is a nice kit lens, better than what canon has (when compering kit lenses at the same prices). The Vibration Reduction (Image stabilization) is a nice bonus. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Ecolometrics