Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on July 18, 2010
Forgive my very poor english... It's been only 10 days since I have this amazing camera, so I'm not really aware of what it can do, but I have already taken pictures for two asingments. The first one I already delivered it, and the client (a huge hotel downtown San Jose Costa Rica) was so impressed by the results, he even called me to congratulate me. They have been my clients since 4 years. I used to shoot with a Nikon d2x and I made up my mind and decided to invest in this piece of wonder. The quality of the image surpasses by far my expectations (and my client's as well): The photos are much more detailed than anything I had seen, maybe only comparable to pictures shot by my film Hasselblad. Even if you tak photos at a high ISO, like 1250, they come out very detailed, so that gives you a lot of freedom. The files are really big, so you need a fast computer to work on them (I have a 24" iMac that I bought a year ago, that works perfectly well). The tonal gradation is fantastic. If you shoot in "raw" you then have the possibility to make other decisions like fine tuning on the color temperature of the pictures, or make a curve on them. I like the D-Lighting option, but not that much when taking pictures of people, the skin tones come out a bit unrealistic. Something that I love is that the photos have a wider dynamic range than its predecessor, the D2x, so when you open the photos in photoshop (when shot as raw files) you have much more information than before, let's say, more details on the shadows and highlights; this is very convenient, specially when you take pictures of architecture. When you shoot in "raw" you have the option of compressing bit the files with no quality loss, this is very usefull, I tried it and it works very well. So in average they would weigh about 25 MB each one. I guess this is not the best camera to shoot sports since it's not as fast as the D3s, but for what I do (architecture, weddings, products, people, fashion, food, tourism) it works very well. Once you have it in your hands, and you shoot the first photos and look at the amazing quality, then you forget about the high price you paid for it...
I'm still learning how to use this camera, so I may update this later.
on January 15, 2018
very good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 25, 2010
What can I say? The price debate has gone on and on, so I have no intentions of adding to that. It is not about the price but what you get for it.

I bought the Nikon D3X with the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor for my studio last week and have shot outdoors with natural light, indoors with low ambiance light, and also (and most importantly for me) in the studio with my wireless sync flash system. If you are looking for the best DSLR money can buy, the D3x is for you. It produces professional work of the highest degree.

Detail is astonishing, at low ISO it is unrivaled, virtually noise-free, clean, artifact-free, and with a world-class output pixel-level detail. Resolution is amazing.

I know without a shadow of a doubt the money I invested in the D3X will make me more money than I have ever made. Business is already great. I am looking to do even better now that I have the best available tool in the DSLR universe. My only regret is that I waited this long to buy it.
on November 29, 2009
I've had Nikon Cameras for quite some time and this is not a novice camera. The spec's tell the story. I had mine up in Alaska on a Pop foto Trip and it worked wonderfuly. I did loose a pixel, turned into a red hot spot, 1 in 24mega pixels. Inconvient yes but easy to work around. Nikon repaied and returned quite quickly. The heart of the Nikon System is I can use a lens built 50 plus years ago, Other camera makers change there mount as time march's on. Most of the Nikon System is backward compatable so with the change from film to digital the len's didn't need to be upgraded at a saving of Big Dollars.
on April 22, 2014
. . . and work on it's products with Adobe CC to fully appreciate this camera. Get the finest lens!
on April 22, 2015
The Nikon D3X was my dream camera. Most people can only dream of owning such a remarkable, excellent and unbelievably outstanding camera like the Nikon D3X. I recently has a burglary in my home and in all that they stole my Nikon D3X was included. I knew I would never be able to replace such a wonderful and precious camera. But when I looked on Amazon, there it was, my baby. My super excellent camera and so after the insurance company settled my loss I ordered the Nikon D3X that very day. Now I have my outstanding camera back in my hands and I recently spent 10 days in Dubai in the UAE. I came home with over 50,000 photos and after edit I was left with 41,750 photos of the beautiful and unbelievably splendid country and all that it has to offer. I placed the Nikon D3X in many different settings and even had the chance of 2 helicopter assisted aerial shots of all Dubai has to offer. There was not one challenge that the Nikon D3X could not handle. From the darkest of shots to the sand storms to shorting from 5,000 feet over the Palms Islands and the World Islands. I even had the chance to take beautiful photos of the "SKI DUBAI" ski resort in the city of Dubai. Temperature changes and lighting changes and fast moving photos were not any bit of a challenge for the NIKON D3X. If you are able to buy this then I say go for it and you will NOT be disappointed. This is truly the most perfect and unbelievably remark
on May 12, 2016
You can now get this camera for around 2 grand. It is superbly built, and its image quality is on a par with any of the newer 24 megapixel cameras of today. If you are looking to get a max, high end professional camera. At a fraction of it's original cost. Give this a look.
on December 29, 2008
Owned a D3 for one and a half years and traded in for the D3x after trying out the new model for a day. My review is not about price - for the record I think Nikon stretched the barrier on the price point for this which I am not happy about - but as far as performance goes I am happy. The D3x results is are perceptibly superior for landscape and macro photography - which is what I typically shoot - even on just A3+ prints.... so I can imagine that the results would be that much better for larger sizes. Just as many of you, I have also read arguments on the net re the megapixel myth ad nauseam and was half convinced about it but nothing speaks as clearly as prints (and I'm comparing studio shots of the same subject taken with the two different cameras).

Have not tried the D3x for sports photography yet but I suspect that unless you are shooting either motor-sports or winter sports, the moderately slower 5fps in large FX mode compared with the 7fps for the D3 is not going to be an issue.

I also spent a day with the Sony Alpha-900 given that is the only other player in a similar mega-pixel category. The output was all right but overall just not in the same league as the D3x in terms of handling, build quality etc etc (I'm probably biased as I am very familiar with Nikon controls - just found the Sony too 'fiddly' and 'plasticky' and couldn't see myself spending hours with it without getting irritated).

Early days with the camera but so far it feels like one of the best DSLR's I have used especially when the medium format alternatives would involve rendering my large pile of Nikon lenses useless and the replacement cost would be prohibitive. As mentioned earlier the D3x pricing is a different issue altogether and I think that the right price point would have been around $2K lower......will update if and when I discover any shortfalls or glitches.
1818 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2016
perfect replacement for the one that was stolen
Love it
on March 21, 2012
I have to say that I was slow to reach for the wallet on this one and delayed my purchase way too long. I should have gotten the day it came out, I would have been so much futher along. But now that I have it...I am shocked by just how good it really is.
The photos are out of this world. I am also a Canon CPS shooter and I can say they dont have anything that comes close to this...
Not it I wonder how they will top this...