Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED Vibration Reduction Zoom Lens with Auto Focus for Nikon DSLR Cameras
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on July 2, 2012
I was about to give up on my new Nikon D-800 camera - images were fuzzy with fringing in pictures (using Nikon 24-120 VR lens). This wonderful lens has allowed the D800 to live up to its full 36mp potential. Images are sharp and falloff in corners is not as bad as with some previous Nikon extended zoom lenses. This lens is the perfect compliment to the D-800 camera.
on May 11, 2015
I had read good things about this lens, so I had high expectations. I have to say, this is my favorite Nikon full frame lens. When extended, the quality is still excellent. The f-stop flexibility really has helped me create some wonderful images as well
on January 1, 2016
I have a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8 but lugging them during vacation can be a problem. This lens fits my need when I'm on a family vacation and want to travel light. It's a bit soft though... that would be my only complain.
on August 4, 2015
I have both a full frame D610 and cropped frame D7100. This lens works on both though I prefer it on the 7100 since its 1.5 multiplier gives the lens the effective max of 450mm, which works nicely when shooting people in large crowds at events. Not as sharp as the 70-200 2:8, but good for most shots.
on March 28, 2015
I'm an avid amateur but not a detail techie. I have an FX format D610 and have several Nikon lenses. I got the 28-300mm to avoid having to change lenses at various events where I like to take photos. Before I used a 70-300mm for long shots and a 24-85mm for closer work. I tested the 28-300mm against the other two lenses. I used 300mm for the long range test and 28mm for the short. For my purposes the results were virtually identical. I could not tell the difference on the 300mm test. There was a very slight difference with the 24-85mm doing a bit better job. That was offset by the convenience of not having to switch lenses. I'll continue to use the 24-85mm when taking portrait type work. At this point I don't think I need my 70-300mm anymore. I used the 28-300mm to take pictures of my grandchildren playing in a band concert indoors. I was near the back of the auditorium and they were in the back of the stage in less than ideal lighting. With a little photo editing I obtained very satisfactory images of each in a waist to head crop. The VR capabilities and FX format worked very well. The total weight of the camera and 28-300mm is noticeably heavier but not a deal breaker by any means.
on April 5, 2015
An all round very good lens. I had to get used to it a bit, because this is an FX format lens. The light is low in certain conditions. It is good for outdoor shooting. Sometimes I feel the F3.5 is not good enough especially when nearly fully zoomed in. Overall a versatile lens. In good light it focuses very fast. The lens is very heavy. Even though I am just an enthusiast and not trained in photography, I have taken some really great pictures with this. I know a bit more now and will take out this lens again this summer and see what results I get. The cropping is significant when used on a DX format camera. I don't think there is a single lens out there that fits all needs. You would not see so many lenses on the market, there would be only one lens then, the Apple Lens or something.

A short while later Nikon came out with the 18-300. I would rather get that one. As other reviewers have said the actual rating is from about 56m to 400 something because of the DX FX format thing.

If you buy this then take millions of photos. Even though the new 18-300 has fewer elements, I suspect the 18-300 is the successor and the above lens may be phased out.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2011
Build quality of this lens is very good. Image quality is excellent, VR works with 1/30 of second (i used to get blurred image with my kit lens). One issue is with aperture it reaches 5.6 so quick so you can not use in lowlight much without bumping ISO, that again reduces image quality. Taken images in ZOO and some of the wild life and it comes out really good. I have not changed this lens, it is staying on my camera all the time. I am going to use 50mm 1.8 when i go to aquarium.
on April 22, 2011
The hood supplied with this lens rattles and fits very loosely - you can brush it off just resting the camera next to you - the teeth don't lock. Nikon will not replace, insists the whole kit must be sent to them. I've put tape on the locking teeth to some degree but this is neither the quality nor the service one expects with a $1,000 lens, especially from Nikon, who refuses to send a replacement hood.

Else, the lens is very good, sharp, responsive, reasonably quick to focus.
on November 2, 2012
The AF-S Nikkor 28-300 VR was my favorite lens on the D7000 and D5100
Much better quality than either of my 18-200 versions.
It is now dedicated to our D600.
I just bought a second one for my D800.
It only comes off in very low light or a special use,
then I use the 14-24, 17-35, 28-70, or 70-200 f/2.8 lens.
on May 12, 2015
I bought a D610 at my local store, knowing I would use it with my legacy manual focus lenses from bygone days when I was a pro. Then I got the idea that I wasn't using the camera to its full potential, so I got the 28-300 ED VR lens.
This lens is great in that it covers the full range of focal lengths, has Vibration Reduction, and its quick Auto Focus capability makes using Live View a snap. Plus it allows Program and Shutter Priority modes, which are unavailable to MF lenses.
But the lens is big and has a large petal shade, which is disproportionate to the D610 sans the battery grip. And I felt that for a lens costing over a grand, the optics should have been slightly crisper, especially at the 28mm end.