Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,395 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,801 reviews
on October 27, 2016
I am a super beginner photographer (wouldn't even call myself that, just a new mama with a camera) with a Nikon D3300. I've had the camera for almost a year and have been disappointed my the photos I was taking (been using the lens kit that came with my camera). I finally decided after doing some reading, that I might benefit from a new lens. I decided on the 35mm instead of the 50mm because I read that the 50 can be hard to use inside of a small house and that the 35 might be a little more versatile, if you can only get one lens. I put the lens on my camera last night, and NOW I AM FINALLY GETTING THE PICTURES I DREAMT OF. The camera makes beautiful bokeh and takes super fast photos, even in low light! I am super impressed with this lens and definitely recommend if you are a mom trying to take up your photos a few notches. As an aside, I stumbled upon the blog "Click It Up A Notch." And read some of their basic tutorials and have learned so much. Hope this helps you make your decision.
Update: I added a picture that I took on my second day of using the lens. Before I got this lens I had essentially stopped using my DSLR because the lens kit was so slow that I was always miss his smile.
review image
1010 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2017
I am a novice photographer and have been using a variety of lenses. From an older (non VR) 70-300 telephoto to a 10.5mm fisheye. Over the past three years I have also used the "nifty 50" Nikkor 50mm 1.8D. This lens has been amazing for portraits, some casual shooting, and the occasional indoor kid's sporting events. One problem I came across time and time again, because I shoot on a cropped sensor camera (D90), is that the 50mm 1.8D (taking into consideration the 1.5x crop factor) actually shoots more like a 75mm equivalent. Time and time again I would find myself only being able to keep one subject in frame, or wishing I had more room behind me to back up farther in order to get more in the frame. Often times I would switch lenses and use an older kit lens (18-70mm 3.5ED) in order to shoot wider, but that of course came at the cost of loss of sharpness and the dramatic depth of field effect that can be achieved with prime lenses like the 50mm 1.8D.

Also, a professional photographer friend of mine was using a 50mm on her Canon 5D Mark III and after looking at the pictures I wondered how she was able to fit so much into the frame while not having to back away dramatically. This was before I knew anything about crop sensor cameras, crop factors, full frame cameras, etc. The fact is that a 50mm lens on a full frame camera and the same lens on a crop sensor camera do not shoot the same way.

After some reading and investigating, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase this 35mm 1.8G lens. I got it, popped on the bayonet style lens good and started shooting. On a cropped sensor camera like the D90 (as well as the newer D7200, D7000, D3300, D3200, D5500, etc.) this lens shoots (with the 1.5x crop factor multiplier) works close to a 53mm equivalent. The results were immediate, I shoot in close quarters with kids, pets, bands and the ability to fit more in the frame was - liberating. I did not feel hampered by what I could or could not fit into the frame.

Pros:
- Feels well built
- Comes packaged with carrying case, good cap, bayonet style lens hood
- Can fit more in the frame
- Fast
- Captures crisp images with lots of detail
- Great in low light, maybe even better than the now older 50mm 1.8D (which by the way does not autofocus unless you have a camera with a focus motor built in)
- If I had a camera that did not have a focus motor built in, no problem, this lens has a focus motor built into it
- Focusing is SILENT - unlike the 50mm 1.8D, which hunts for focus and is noisy as hell
- Manual focus override: a switch on the side of the lens allows you to either manually focus the lens, or to allow for M/A, manual and autofocus. This comes in handy if you want to fine tune your focusing or when shooting video and do not want to rely on the focus motors to handle how and what you focus on as you pan through a scene

Cons:
- The bokeh on the 35mm does not really compare to what I've been used to from the 50mm 1.8D. The Bokeh (quality of blurriness in the background when shooting wide open) simply does not look as good, but this is a relatively minor issue. That said, I may use this lens more as a street photo / on the go / all around lens and keep the 50mm 1.8D for portrait work or product shots exclusively
- There is some barrel distortion with this lens (which is when there is slight curve to the image from the center point to all edges) the effect is very slight and can very easily be corrected in photo editing software

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. The lens came packaged very well, arrived exactly on time and in perfect condition. The images I have attached compare the older 50mm 1.8D alongside this lens, as well as the test shots. The shots are to show how much can fit in the frame using the 50mm lens (on a cropped sensor camera) in comparison to this 35mm 1.8G. I love the 50mm lens, I really do, but I needed more versatility and this 35mm lens gives me just that, the freedom to have a quasi-portrait lens as well as a great, fast, and sharp all around shooter. I look forward to what I will be able to do with this lens as I continue to hone my skills as a photographer.

Comparison images: If the object looks closer I took it with the 50mm lens. Same conditions used for every photo.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2016
Love love love!! Ive been DYING to get this lens forever. This is my second time buying this type of lens and this one takes the cake.
came brand spanking new great condition, box was safe and secure. And the photos it produces are beautiful with amazing depth of field!!
review image review image review image
11 comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2016
I'll spare you a ridiculously long review. You can't find a better lens for under $200. Seriously, buy it if you're in the market for a 35mm prime lens. W/ a 1.8 aperture, it shoots absolutely well in low light. Shots are much less "noisy" at the same ISO settings with my other lenses (3.5 & 2.8) Auto focus is a bit tricky if the light is too low. Two thumbs up!!!
review image review image review image
on May 2, 2017
I use it with Nikon D7200. I had it with kit lenses 18-55 and 55-300. While that covers the entire spectrum, the lenses aren't that fast. Picked up this one as I always had a 50mm 1.4 with my 35mm SLR. This one is roughly equivalent. About 52mm equivalent.

Since buying, I have stopped using the zoom lenses practically. This is fast and gives a natural viewing angle with razor sharp pictures. This is a high quality glass. Don't slap on additional filters in the front. Use bare lens and it will do the magic.
on August 18, 2017
I've been using this 35mm f1.8 for a few weeks now and have to admit that it is a fantastic addition to my 2 kit lenses that came with my Nikon D3300. I should note that because I am using this DX lens on a crop frame sensor, it shoots closer to 52mm than 35mm, but that was to be expected and one of the reasons why I chose to buy the 35mm rather than the 50mm.

The shooting speed is incredible, a testament to the 1.8 f-stop. While the focus is louder than I care for, it doesn't have to search too long to find its sweet spot since it is a prime lens. The body is light and easy to manage in whatever bag I tuck it away in, and it feels rugged enough that I trust it won't suffer as much as my longer lenses should I jostle the bag more than I care to. At 52mm it is fantastic at portrait shots (giving a blur foreground and background, albeit without bokeh), landscape shots, street shots, and even sunset shots.

All in all, this was a fantastic purchase at ~$166 and I'd recommend it at that price point to those looking to branch out from their kit lenses into more general use lenses.
on January 31, 2017
Good lens. This lens takes in a lot of light which is great indoors or other challenging conditions. I'm using the Nikon D5500 and with the crop, this lens isn't tight enough for true portrait photography, but I love it. This angle is wide enough to capture the man and the horse, or the child and the toys. Step back and this focal length is great for some wider shots too. Bokeh is okay. The autofocus is a bit loud.
on December 28, 2013
What can I say about this lens? I love, love, love it! I bought this as my first prime lens for my Nikon D3100 and it's wonderful. The thing to remember is that THE PHOTOGRAPHER has to use their feet to move closer or farther away from the item being shot. I had to keep reminding myself, but once I got the hang of it, I love it even more than when I first took it out of the box. It also comes with a soft fabric case, and lens covers for the front and back of the lens. DON'T FORGET TO REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT WITH NIKON. For whatever reason, I now keep this lens on my camera almost exclusively and only occasionally change out to a different lens. The macro and bokeh results are awesome.
on August 30, 2015
I am so very happy with this lenses ability to take low light pictures. I am able to capture moments that would be impossible with my other slow lenses. The picture with my wife and baby was taken in a nearly dark room just before the baby was put to sleep. Nikon D7200 f/1.8, 1/30 sec. ISO-25600. Yes that's a high ISO, but when i say the room was dark, I mean there were only 2 small windows both facing wooded areas, shades were shut, and it was 15 min before sunset. I could barely see in the room.
review image
on August 2, 2016
This lens seems to be very good for portrait photography, especially in low light. But this what everybody else says, right? Because it is really true. Picture quality is noticeably better compared to stock lens, and so is the build and quality of the lens itself. Focus time is good enough, though I must admit there were a few occasions when it failed to focus and I lost a shot. Also, when shooting outside, watch out for dappled/uneven light, as this lens might not handle it very nicely. But my overall rating is still 5 stars, because price to quality ratio for this lens is simply unbeatable. And, did I mention it comes with a hood and a pouch?