Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 21-30 of 883 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 990 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2012
The Nikon 55-300mm lens is nothing short of a miracle. Nikon, for whom I have always sung their praises, especially in the area of lenses, really outdid themselves with this one.

Clear images, a solid build and not as heavy as you would expect - it takes photography to a whole new level.

Although listed as a DX, it works perfectly well with Nikon's FX series of cameras (the D800 inparticular). You get good, crisp shots. The con is, there is a noticable lag when shooting but the quality of the photo's, added to the low price, more than compensate for the delay.
review image
on December 28, 2012
I required a lens like this due to the 18-55mm (which came with my Nikon D3100) not being powerful enough for bringing distant objects in close for detail. I also contemplated the 55-200mm lens for less money, but figured that it wouldn't have the overall magnification I really wanted. I have to say, the 55-300mm is like a godsend. A small howitzer of a telephoto lens that fits the bill for an entry level one, and definitely helps to take some very nice, close-in shots.

What I feared somewhat is how well this lens would autofocus. I heard of some users complaining that this one doesn't at all. In my experience so far, it autofocuses, though not super quickly. It may take just enough time that you could miss a shot of a frightened bird, though I'm thinking it isn't going to be much of a problem, as there are so many photographic opportunities out there.

The weight and size of this lens is less than I expected. However, it is beefy, though certainly manageable. I had no problems lugging this little beast around for my initial tests. When it is fully extended for zoom and focus, the length might prove a little cumbersome if you are taking pictures in a cramped space.

Manual focusing this lens is smooth enough. It may feel a little rough when new, though I am sure constant use will smooth it out for more precision. If you have a lot of trouble with determining the focus quality, get a routine vision check.

Lastly, I received my lens clean and with no defects. I trust Nikon's quality and the distributor took care to package the lens with protection well in mind. This unit is cleaner than a barracks with disciplined soldiers.

If you want this lens, give it a shot. From what I have seen for it, there are plenty of satisfied customers. Me included. I tried to think of something really bad and star rating negating to say about this lens, but I am at a loss for that. A total loss I could care less about.

Happy shooting!
on June 26, 2012
I'm not a photography expert, so don't take what I say as a conclusive review. My time using this lens proved that it was exactly what I wanted from it. I have a Nikon D5100 and use the 18-55mm kit lens, a 35mm f/1.8 prime lens, and this 55-300mm telephoto. At an equivalent 82.5mm on the wide end, this isn't a lens you will probably be walking around with, but it isn't so restrictive that you can't get a shot quickly if you have it on--you just have to back up a bit and rearrange yourself. The equivalent 450mm zoom, though, is great, and even near dusk I was able to get respectable shots without cranking up the ISO too much. Nothing you would want to blow up, but it looks fine on a standard computer screen. The VR and auto-focus worked well with the latter being respectably quick (though I can't compare, really, as this is the only DSLR I've used). Overall, I like this lens, and am happy with the price-point.

One point worth mentioning that I was not aware of and did not see in the description or other reviews. This comes with both a protective bag and a lens hood.
on December 1, 2015
I love this lens! Works great for closeups from a distance and the AF works well with my D3200. Must buy if you have the 18-55mm already!
review image review image
on August 28, 2016
This is by far, my most favorite lens. I am in NO way a professional or even hobbyist. I use it very casually.

My only regret is that I used a D3100 body. It really could use the pixel count of a 3300 or 5x00
on August 30, 2011
I've read reviews that call this a "Slow" lens both in terms of F-stop and auto-focus speed. While I'm sure that is true compared to professional lenses, for the average person who wants a long zoom for a reasonable price, I find this lens to be very adequate.

I was recently at the lake and out of the corner of my eye noticed a loon coming in to land on the water. I quickly brought the camera up to my eye, zoomed in and grabbed a couple of shots both gliding in and then splashing down onto the water. While the resulting images weren't perfectly composed, they were focused and clear.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the lens and am glad I choose this lens over the 55-200mm as the extra reach will come in handy.
on January 14, 2015
Great Lens, Use it on my d5100 and have a ton of fun playing with it. It is heavy so can be a pain if you are lugging it around but I've used it to take a bunch of different action shots at sporting events. Obviously i'm not a pro and my gear isn't high level stuff but it is pretty awesome some of the stuff you can get with this lens. Attached is a picture i took with it. I've cropped some so you can still see the nice clarity.
review image
on April 24, 2015
We got this lens to go with a D3300 for our trip to Africa (South Africa and Namibia). It was invaluable for getting far-off wildlife as well as getting close-up shots of closer-in wildlife. The zoom was excellent and we got some amazing shots. I'm not much of a photographer so I can't get into technical pros/cons, but feel very happy with this lens.
on February 18, 2015
I use this all the time for my sports shots. I photograph local high school sports and in regular sunny weather this thing is great. I have issues with indoor and low light but that is to be expected with a slower lens in low light. If you are outdoors this lens works well too for distance shots.
review image review image review image
on December 26, 2014
Awesome lens! I purchased a refurb version and I have no complaints at all. The adjustment between 200 and 300 has some slight resistance, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. The lenses are crystal clear - no scratches, blemishes, etc. I'm impressed with the increase in utility compared to smaller zoom and prime lenses. 300mm really draws in the subjects, and some great bokeh can be created at any zoom.

Update (1/3/15): the resistance between 200-300 zoom is gone now. I can adjust smoothly from 55-300.