Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 I have the VRI, whats the difference between this and the new upcoming VRII? I wonder if its worth upgrading to the new one.
asked by El Primero on September 8, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 answers
A
Saravanan Suriyanarayanan answered on September 9, 2009
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The biggest difference with this lens isn't the VR II, but that you shouldn't get the vigetting with the FX sensor like you do with the current 70-200 f/2.8G VRI. The improvement of the VRII isn't the selling factor for this lens, its the rummor that it is more compatable with the FX. Now, whether they have fixed the vigetting on this lens is not certain, no one i know has had the chance to test it. If you have a 700, D3, or D3x, wait and see if they have fixed the problem. If you personally don't have a problem with your current lens, don't waist the money.
Ty answered on September 16, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
First review I've found for the new model

http://cliffmautner.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/10/101309-the-new-nikon-70200mm-f28g-ed-vrii.html
JK answered on October 18, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ummm no, "active" is if you're using VR while in a moving vehicle. "Normal" is for normal hand held shooting.

http://www.nikon.com/about/technology/core/software/vr_e/index.htm

"In Normal mode, slow and wide camera movement is regarded as recomposing movement and VR operation is controlled accordingly. In Active mode, however, even large amounts of camera movement are compensated for to give a smooth viewfinder image. This mode is quite useful when shooting from a moving vehicle or some other unstable position."
B. Krause answered on November 17, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Bill, there are a few variables... Do you plan to go to a FX sensor in the future (D700, D3)? Do you plan on hand-holding or will you be using a mono/tripod? Are you someone that must have the latest and greatest things? Personally I'm going for the VR II, I shoot a D90 now but want to have room to move to a FX camera without worrying about vignetting and edge sharpness. Plus after looking at some of the review pictures that people have posted, especially the side by side shots, I think the VR II is worth the extra $500
Kevin Holst answered on November 24, 2009

A
I am an amateur photographer and do not plan on going to an FX sensor. I plan on shooting from both a monopod and free hand. I do enjoy having the best but only when it makes sense. I have not had much luck shooting my son's hockey games with my current lense and need the 2.8 to get the low light, high speed shots. A friend has the VI and she is able to get some great shots. That was the lens I was orignally looking at until this one came out. Can you point me to a site that has the comparison shots. In light of ths information, what would you go with. Thanks again for your response.
Bill Klueber answered on November 24, 2009

A
Devout Patriot answered on November 27, 2009

A
AMDG answered on November 25, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Kevin Holst answered on November 26, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Not absolutely sure, but on this lens there are two VR setting, besides "off"! One called "normal" which is for normal hand held use... the other is called "active" which is supposed to work well for taking shots from a moving vehicle. Initially I thought it was for sports photography... duh!
Devout Patriot answered on November 2, 2009
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product