Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 866 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,084 reviews
on May 19, 2016
Two words: IN. LOVE. I am a (very) amateur photographer with a nikon d330. I have recently found some owls that nest high up in the trees in my yard and so I purchased this lens to help me capture them. The zoom is phenomenal and clarity is great. It's very easy to use, and I'm super happy with it.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2016
I have seen this lens for sometime, and based on the price, I dismissed it. However, after repeatedly seeing good reviews in a certain British Nikon photo magazine, and also after seeing Brian Peterson’s latest edition of his “Creative Photography” book where he uses this lens a lot on a high res D800 series Nikon, I rethought this price equals quality mindset.

I bought this lens and went out to explore a focal length range that I almost never use, basically topping out at the 120mm setting on my zoom, or at 105mm on my primes. Wow! This lens is fun. I am now seeing in narrow angles, and extracting tiny elements out of the environment that I would have not have seen or just ignored. I paid 500 dollars for this (toy), and I have been out shooting so much now with a fresh perspective.

I used this lens on my full frame camera with good results, but on my DX Nikon D7200, the extra reach is even more fun. The image stabilization makes hand-holding effective in most normal lighting. I set my auto-ISO to kick up the ISO when the shutter speed hits 1/400th, and use the lens wide-open on aperture priority. I get a very high amount of technically good photos with this approach.

My photography is better for my having bought this lens.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2017
So excited. First one came and there was no way the back lens cap was coming off. So disappointed so returned it and got the replacement today (FAST) and its amazing. Great lens . . . first shots crisp and I am loving it.
on September 5, 2017
Worked well. Autofocus was a bit twitchy on the D300. Definitely take some time to fine-tune your autofocus or simply use manual focus. Chromatic aberration was present when attempting to record outdoor video on a D3100 under direct sunlight. Not a VR lens, but using a monopod to steady the camera can produce good quality images.

Overall, this lens is ok and can come in handy when you need a little more focal length.
on August 12, 2017
Excellent buy and like the zoom...I only gave it a 4 rating merely because I have a Nikon D3100 and I didn't see the fine print that it would not AF on my unit so it has to be manually focused. I like the convenience of AF but the lens will get used...just not as much as my other lenses.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2013
I had researched on photography sites before spending this much on a lens. This lens is just what I expected and just what I wanted. The 300mm zoom gives me enough length for birds. The VR works wonderfully. I can handhold at 1/30th even at full zoom and usually get a clear picture. The lens is not light, but I didn't expect it to be with that much range. The focus is quick and accurate. I had read some reviews at other sites complaining about the noise the lens makes. Well, I can feel it working at the focus and VR, but it doesn't seem to really make noise - at least not enough to bother me or the wildlife I photograph with it.
on August 21, 2017
Focuses in nice and the zoom works fine, but my photos tend to come out a bit blurry compared to what I think they should. Maybe I just need to adjust my eyesight in what I feel is in focus to compensate. When I get the funds saved up I will buy the more expensive one and come back with comparison update and new review on other lens.
on June 9, 2016
Decent lens. Good zoom. Some times I have to switch to manual focus when zoomed out but that is just to get really sharp in focus photos I guess the auto focus has trouble getting a good fix when the lens is all the way out. If you don't use a telephoto lens a lot, it's a good light use / hobby photography level lens.
on April 20, 2014
My favorite use -besides filming people 5 blocks away- is to go to the race track and take picture of the horses. I have become a better photographer with this lense and with the speed of the horses. My portrait shots have even improved as a result of my increased stability (and use of a monopod). Dont go cheap on a lense - get a real Nikon if you have a Nikon base (ive spent so much money on garbage - you will end up buying it eventually).
on August 26, 2017
Clarity is up there with the competition for a great price. VR works well when tested without it. Focus is good with some difficulty focusing on smaller object at 300mm. Great for day time shots with some difficulty with evening shots because of the high fstop. The P-mpix sharpness is similar to Sigma and both are better then Tamaron. Nikon lens is lighter then both mention lenses