Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on February 25, 2011
I've written a review about the last iteration of these binoculars and I won't repeat it here. Briefly, these are the best binoculars you can get without spending big bucks, and I think they are the cheapest binoculars you should even consider buying (while there might be an exception to this, cheaper binoculars are bad enough to be worthless and a complete waste of money). These binoculars are three times as good as what you can get for $100 and 90% as good as what you can get for $2,000. They are better than most similarly priced binoculars, and better than many much more expensive binoculars.

Since this is one of the most common binoculars bought by beginners (for good reason), I thought it would be helpful to have a breakdown of the uses of the different magnifications as many buyers have probably not used binoculars extensively. I am mostly into birding and wildlife watching, so beware of that bias if your needs are different.

Don't know what size binoculars to get? Probably just get the biggest ones you can afford, I mean, more magnification is better because you see more, right? Not really. There are a number of trade-offs associated with high magnification. This will help you decide what size is best for you (hint, if you are reading this, 8x42 is almost certainly the best choice for you).

Binoculars have two numbers such as 8x42 or 10x50. The first number refers to magnification, typically 8 or 10, but others also exist (6, 7, 12...). The second number refers to the size of the objective lens (that is the big piece of glass farther from your eye) which in turn determines light gathering potential. These nikon monarchs are offered in 8x42, 10x42, and 12x42 sizes. I don't know that I've ever seen 12x binoculars, but 8x and 10x binoculars with the same objective lens (42mm in this case) will be nearly identical in size (and, counterintuitively, the 10x will often be very slightly smaller). The higher the magnification, the more light you need, so a 10x binocular will need a larger objective lens than an 8x binocular to have similar brightness.

First major consideration: trade-off of magnification vs. brightness. Higher magnification means things appear closer, but higher magnification also means less brightness. Brightness is very important to see markings and to have a pleasant image to look at (try watching a movie with the monitor brightness turned way down, not as much fun, is it?) Obviously you can counter this trade-off with larger objective lenses, but that gets expensive and heavy.

Second major consideration is shake. 10x binoculars are hard to hold steady (and I am young and not particularly shaky). If you are leaning against a tree with a low heart rate, no problem, if you just ran up a hill to see something, much harder. As you up the magnification you also increase the problem of shakiness. If you can't hold the binoculars steady, your eyes can't focus on what is in them. This one is really, really, really important. If you haven't used binoculars much before, you probably don't realize how much of a problem hand shake can be. 8x is pretty easy to hold steady. 10x isn't so bad. 12x is more or less out of the question without a very steady support.

Third major consideration: Field of view/ease of finding things in your binoculars. Try this: take your digital camera, put it to full zoom and try to aim at a distant object that takes up much of the screen. Kind of hard, isn't it? Now zoom out all the way and try to find that same object. Much easier. Binoculars are very similar, the larger the magnification, the more zoom you are working with, the the more difficulty you will have getting an object in sight. This is particularly true with moving objects. Lower magnifications make it easier to scan because the give you more peripheral vision.

Fourth (somewhat less major) consideration: depth of field. This is the range of distance from you that is in focus without moving the focus wheel. Larger depths of field are better. Smaller magnifications tend to have wider depth of field. Wider depth of field is more pleasant to look at and makes finding things easier. Mostly a wide depth of field just looks a lot nicer.

So, what size to get? Of the available sizes: 8x42, 10x42, and 12x42. 8x42 is definitely the most versatile. 8x magnification is quite a lot, but shake isn't too bad, depth of field is pretty good, field of view ("peripheral vision") is pretty good. These are ideal for watching moving birds as they are easy to track with. I prefer 8x binoculars and most of what it comes down to for me is that the image that comes through them is much more pleasant to look at: brighter, crisper, more depth of field. Learning to aim your binoculars at something takes practice, and 8x will definitely be easier to learn with. 8x really shines in lower light conditions, in tracking fast moving birds, and whenever your hands might be shaking a bit (which is pretty much always). While 8x is definitely the choice for a beginner, it does not mean that it is only for beginners and many, probably most experienced birders use 8x as their primary binocular.

10x can definitely help show some markings on birds. For still and slow birds in good light, or when it is easy to track birds (think hawks) 10x can be an excellent choice. They are a little bit less versatile, they are a little bit harder to use, require a bit more technique and steadiness. Still a really good choice for birding. 10x make IDing birds a bit easier (in good light and with good technique) but the overall image is a bit less pleasant to look at, and that is really important to me, less so to other people. 10x is a very popular choice among birders (probably slightly less popular than 8x, but not by much). If you are interested in watching how birds behave, get 8x, if you really want to see those faint markings to make a positive ID, 10x may work better for you.

12x is not for birding. I've heard of some birders using them in some situations, but I have yet to actually meet one. 12x is better suited for astronomy or looking at targets or any time you know you can be sitting still and resting your binoculars on a large static object. 12x is a very specialized tool, it should not be the only pair of binoculars you own.

I hope this helps.
2323 comments| 962 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 30, 2011
I wanted a binocular for general viewing, one of my priorities being getting the most magnification without compromising the ability to use them handheld. These binos fit the bill. The 12x42s provide a sharp and brilliant view, and are, at barely 22 oz. easy to hold with a minimum of the "shakes". In addition, the higher 12X and the greater apparent field of view (the apparent diameter of the image circle seen when looking thru the glasses) adds to the unique visual experience, compared to the 8X and 10X Monarch ATBs with their less apparent field of view (but larger true field of view), and it's probably not too far off the mark to compare the sensation of observing thru these binos as similar to but better than watching a large screen 3D HD TV. They appear to excel in subdued lighting situations, as in early morning and at dusk. These are not just an ordinary pair of binoculars.

Low light performance seems very good for a 12x42 bino. At dusk I can train these on a black hole in the woods 200' distant and see a surprising amount of detail in the trees. Sharpness of the image is impressive across the field of view, except for a small area of softness at the top and at the left and right edges of the fov that do not, however, distract from the overall viewing experience (not noticeable unless you specifically look for it).

Contrast in these binos is inherently high, and there is some false color in contrasty lighting situations. Construction of the Nikons seems sturdy enough. Achieving best focus requires some care, as the binos can seem to be slightly out of collimation if focus is off.

Regarding complaints about the loosely fitting eyepiece cover falling off, instructions in the owner's manual (fig. 1, page 13) show the neckstrap threaded thru both sides of the eyepiece cover. If these instructions are followed correctly, the cover will not fall off, and will always be in position to protect the eyepieces until viewing an object; then, all one need do is lift the cover off the ep and pull it back toward the viewer. I think it's a great solution that resolves the lost eyepiece cover problem while keeping the optics protected until ready for viewing.

A nice padded black belt case and a wide black canvas neckstrap with the gold Nikon logo are included.

Since these binos are so contrasty and bright,they are great for stargazing. Comparing them to an older pair of porro 7x35s and a roof 10X42, the Nikon was the clear winner. My suburban skies are not that dark, but globular cluster M13 in Hercules was found immediately, as were the brighter galaxies M81 and M82. Under darker skies the 12X42s provide a major "wow" factor, with the night sky becoming alive with glittering celestial objects.
on April 22, 2010
These binoculars are mostly just like the old Nikon Monarchs, with maybe just a little more light in low light conditions. An excellent pair of binoculars for the price, five years ago binoculars of this quality would have been more like $500-600. An especially cool feature of all the Nikon Monarchs is the close focus distance, which with my eyes is probably even a little under four feet. If you like looking at butterflies and dragonflies as well as birds, these binoculars are an excellent choice for their price tag.
11 comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2013
Unfortunately I missed the sale on these, and paid full price. I bought them for mom and pop, but I've used them a lot as well. The optics are good, but I have to back-out the eye-cups... or else hold the binocs a bit in front of my eyes, to eliminate the black separation between the stereo view. The eye-relief specs on these seemed high enough that I didn't expect this. If you're a binoc expert, feel free to comment if you've compared these to other binoculars.

There's a common term about "eye fatigue"... and while I can appreciate the crisp optics of these binoculars, the attention required to maintain a cohesive circular view (distance the set is "opened" as well as the proper distance of the eye-cups) has limited my enjoyment in using them.

The latest generation Monarchs have gone up significantly in price as well. The best advice I can give is that you might want to check these out in person, or even buy them in person, before ordering from any online store.
on December 13, 2011
I bought these as an early Christmas present for my wife an avid birder who has been using a small pair of opera glasses really.

I have no information to add to Thomas McFarland's review and the FAQ in the product description they were both very helpful to me in choosing.

I chose the 10x42 because a) my wife has very good distant vision and can spot small birds very far away and b) she is also very good at quickly getting something in the field of view of the glasses.

These binoculars are very bright (42 is a good size aperture), excellent image quality, almost no color distortion all the way to the edge, and relatively light weight. They focus easy and adapt quickly from one person to another.

She has been using them for about 2 weeks (I think that's about 5 outings) and is very happy with them.

And when Mama's happy, I have a chance to be happy.
on September 20, 2012
this Monarch ATB [2010] (_ X 42) is the same as the newer/st Monarch 5 [2012].
it is only a name change. the same, with a Dielectric coating and almost same in
price! and that Nikon has stopped producing these older model ATBs anymore? Nikon changed the name of their new ATBs to Monarch 3, 5, and 7.

few more left of this older ATBs in some shops. if you can get the price of this older ATBs cheaper than the M5, better. only if you're in a budget like me!
one shop here on Amazon- Overstock Deals Storefront has sold 20 of these binos only last July selling it for $206.23 only and lower.. great deal!! Sold Out in a week!
i'm planning to buy one that time but my fund is not enough. i had to pay for my son's school too.
now, i bought it higher- at $250! (duh! same price with the black M5 at this time!). can't complain (now) though because that is only my budget for this excellent bino that has the Dielectric coating on it which is good in low light condition and is also very light to hold as well as also it [both models] has my favorite color- Camo!

*Looking for a good Nikon binoculars?

It's in their Lens and prism coating [ plus Phase corrected! ]:

1.) Dielectric coating [ >99% reflectivity or 'perfect mirror' ] ---- models: ATB, Monarchs 5, 7, X, and EDG

2.) Silver coating [ 95-99% reflectivity ] ---- models: Premier, Monarch 3

3.) Aluminum coating [ 88-92% reflectivity ] ---- model: ProStaff 7

hope this helps. thx

*UPDATE: [OCT. 02, 2012]

Today's price:

ATB- 7298 TRT 10X42 = $287.09 Overstock Deals [Free shipping fulfilled by Amazon]
Monarch 5- 7546 TRT 10X42 = $279.95 Amazon [Free super saver shipping]

Now it's your choice.. cheers!

*UPDATE: [MAR. 05, 2013]

The UK/EURO Monarch 5 has an ED Glass ( better! ) with a 10 year warranty!
The USA/N.America Monarch 5 has No ED Glass but with a 25 year warranty?

Hmmm...
on December 3, 2012
I'm really impressed with these binoculars. I read through so much information regarding these binoculars that in the end, I wasn't sure what to go with anymore. I've had decent binoculars before, (10 year older Nikon model, unfortunately lost so can't give model number)) with bright images, good field of view, no image distortion etc, but these surpassed my most hopeful expectations in a smaller, tighter design.

Thanks for all the Amazon reviews on this product. Clear, informative and accurate.

The brightness of the image is amazing. In the end, I'm glad I paid for the dielectric coatings, they're much brighter that I had expected. During daylight the brightness is basically what you see with your naked eyes, if you're taking off your sunglasses to use them, beware. At night, well, I saw the moons of Jupiter when it came up last night.

I almost opted for the 8X magnification due to the supposed hand shake issues associated with the higher magnifications, however set properly, (focus, eye cup width, etc,) the 10X are relatively easy to hold with a great field of view and rock steady with a support. That being said, 12X magnifications would require a support to utilize properly so keep that in mind. Also, 8X would be a touch weak, but that's probably just me.

Basically, when I looked through these binoculars I wanted to see visual magic. And I do.

I'm very happy and if I wasn't living outside the US, they would have been cheaper without the duty charges, but still, would do it again.

In the end, a good solid product exceeding my expectations with a very fair price. I know I shouldn't but I'm giving them 5 stars for the value/price ratio.

Also a great thanks to Adorama Camera who somehow got them from the US to Thailand in only 4 days. 11/29/12 (thailand time 18:55 PM) to arrival at my house by 11:35 AM on 12/03/12 Thailand time.

Recommended vendor & product.
on January 7, 2013
These are the same as the new Monarch 5 binoculars. I bought these binoculars for Bow Hunting and bird watching after extensive research and comparisons in stores. They do produce a very bright crisp image that shows a lot of detail and contrast at the center. I do notice chromatic aberration (the purple fringe effect) in bright lighting. It doesn't adversly affect the image until you get about 50% out from the center of your view. The sweet spot on the pair that I got was only about 50% of distance from center. After that things get blurry and loose contrast. I bought them despite several professional reviews that agreed with those downsides, because I liked how they looked in the store. However, once you take them OUT of the store, into bright sunlight, those flaws become more obvious. I'm returning my pair and purchasing a pair that was more favorably reviewed, the Carson 3D with ED glass. Hoping those have a better sweet spot.
on May 26, 2017
I have two other pairs of binoculars (10x50 and 7x50) that I use regularly for boating and back porch bird watching. However, they are a bit bulky and heavy for travel, hiking, etc. I wanted a decent quality lightweight pair and these fit the bill perfectly for me.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2017
Well made. Quality. Effective. Weather proof ( water & fog). Great for outdoors. Great for hunting. Great for most applications. I'm sure my son will get this when I expire LOL
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.