Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nikon 8250 ACULON A211 16x50 Binocular (Black)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on November 25, 2013
Pros:
Thick solid metal tripod adapter.
18mm wide eyepiece, vs 16mm on my Celestron 10x50 and 13mm on my Tasco 7x35
1.5 inch wide neck strap with leather backing
Thick, padded carrying pouch, without a strap
My reflection in the Nikon lenses (Objective and eyepiece) are dimmer than in my Celestron 10x50's by at least half, which is good for the Nikons.
Sharp images with easy smooth focus. Not much turning required to focus.
Near focus of 15 feet not 28 listed, but I am a bit near sighted but don't use glasses
Light and easily hand holdable by me, but I've had lots of practice and am young. I can hold it steady with one hand.
Measured exit pupil at thinnest point, and it is exactly 3.1mm, vs 4.3mm on Celestron 10x50
Pressing my eye sockets against the eyepieces does not move the focus
I can see veins in distant tree leaves that my 10x50 only shows the general leaf shape of
The objective covers stay on easily and can clip onto the neck strap.
As I look around my dark house inside, lit only by one computer screen, the view through the Nikons is no darker than with eyes.
The smooth sides of the eye cups makes it easy to tape paper light shields on them to block side glare. It made the viewing that much more enjoyable.
Careful measurement confirmed that the apparent field of view is indeed 61 degrees, a degree wider than my 10x50 wide angle, and that the magnification is indeed about 16x.

Cons:

During the day, I must look straight forward. I can't move my eye to look around the field of view like I can with my 10x50, because the exit pupil is smaller and gets blacked out. This is not a problem at night. At 5pm, with my pupil a bit larger, this is no longer an issue. I get better use during the day if I'm very careful to measure my interpupilary distance and match the eyepiece distance to it exactly.
The eyepiece covers are too big and fall off the eyepieces. But they do clip on the neck strap so they don't have to fall on the ground. With some tape, I can make my own covers that double as side light shields.
The carry pouch, although nicely padded, is small, and you have to really stuff the binoculars in there to barely close it.

===
The Andromeda galaxy and M33 are easier to see with the 16x50 than with 10x50. I did not see a dimmer view with the smaller exit pupil. In fact, the Nikons seem a bit brighter, even when looking at houses without any porch lights nearby. The Pleiades look better and show more stars in the 16x50. When looking at Venus, near sunset, I noticed some faint stars with the 16x50 that I could not see with the 10x50. Orion's belt also had a denser star field in the 16x50 than in my Celestron 10x50, though not by a large amount. Venus looked larger, but I still could not see its phase. Jupiter looked larger and rounder in the 16x50, and the moons were a bit easier to see but still small. I could not see stripes on Jupiter. The moon looked a bit better too, though not spectacular. I did not see any extra details at 16x that I could not see at 10x; however, I did not have to look as hard to see them. Any detail obvious at 16x could be verified at 10x. I was getting tired from being up late, and shake was more noticeable in the 16x than the 10x.
I can locate M82 and M81 in my 16x50, but not in my 10x50. M51 and M101 are much easier to locate too.
During the day time, the 16x50 expands every detail I could be curious about with my naked eyes. It makes me feel like I'm over on that distance hill, walking through that tall grass. The 10x50 is more for seeing the full picture.
16x is as high as I can go and still have good depth of focus on terrestrial objects at different distances. At 25x, I have to refocus for each distance. Also, 16x is as large as I can go and still figure out where I am in the sky just by panning around. At 25x, I can just point and look but not know where I'm truly at unless I recognize and object of known location.

I recommend owning a Nikon 7x35 and a Nikon 16x50 for both big picture views and detailed inspection. Get a telescope if you want more power.
11 comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2013
great magnification, bright clear image. Any more power would be too hard to hold still. Fast shipping, great value- about $110 for 16x50 power- & its a Nikon- the best lenses!
on November 1, 2013
I actually bought these to stargaze, and the magnification is a bit too much for that. Without any image stabilization, the stars just jiggle too much. Same goes for general use during the day- holding it with your hands produces a lot of jiggle and makes me a bit nauseous. But, the image is very clear and the is a great sense of 3D depth, so if you have a stable hand these would be great for you.
on October 12, 2013
Got a defective (one finger print smudge inside the binocular) binocular first time, contact Amazon by e-mail about the issue. Amazon sent the another binocular to replace within a couple of days. Good services Amazon. Nikon Aculon 16X50 is good for the price.
on February 16, 2014
I need binoculars for work, I am a rural mountain and town WiFi installer I need to be able to find small towers as well as inspect cables and settings on gear from the driveway, all I can say is these are perfect
on December 3, 2014
These binoculars are bright and clear and have worked well glassing for deer this year. My hunting buddy has Swarovski 15x50s, and while they are a bit brighter than these Nikons, he paid over $1K for them and these are barely over $100. If you're on a tight budget or just don't want to spend excessively for a brand name, these are the binoculars for you.
on October 3, 2013
Wow! Impressive image providing a sharp and bright edge to edge full view experience. First binoculars I have owned that actually seem to correct for my astigmatism allowing me to focus and see clearly without having to wear my glasses ... Thank you Nikon. Just how impressed were we with the quality versus cost of these binoculars, enough to purchase a second pair so that both spouses will have a pair of their own instead of sharing and one missing part of the action along the coast. 16x requires user to remain steady but it is worth it. Comes with adapter for tripod use if needed. UPDATE 03/14 ... There have been so many positive comments about these from visitors that we have since bought a third pair for our visitors to use.
on July 3, 2015
The binoculars I bought are outstanding. They look good and feel good in my hands. The view is what I expected when looking through them. The price was excellent. I would recommend the product to anyone looking to buy a new pair. Thank you Amazon.......again!!!
on October 4, 2014
We needed a pair of binoculars which would let us see birds up closer than what we were able to see with a 10x binocular. This one is terrific because we can see the ducks, herons, ibises, sand hill cranes and other water fowl as though they were at our window. On top of that, it is a steal for the price. Wish we had purchased it earlier instead of the Pentax 6.5x which had such a good rating but just didn't do the job for us.
on July 29, 2015
In one word...WOW. I have a pair of 20x80 giant binocs, but these are way better. Very light and easy to turn focus. If you get above 16x power, binocs are very hard to hold steady. These are perfect, though you will still have to have a steady hand, but it's worth it for the close views. Great rubber gripping, strap, everything. Can't say enough good about these. Though they have an exit pupil of 3.1, they are still terrific...as they give you a nice wide field of view and super sharp. Plus they are Nikons, which means very good optics. Taking these to Yellowstone in a couple of months and they'll be constantly hanging around my neck.