Nikon Coolpix P7000 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Wide Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3-Inch LCD
|Price:||$389.99 & FREE Shipping|
Overall score: 65%
See review summary and sample images
What is DPReview and its awards?
Digital Photography Review is the most popular dedicated enthusiast digital photography site on the Internet. Our authoritative reviews have earned us the trust of photographers and camera buyers all over the world, for more than 15 years.
Gold and Silver Awards are given to products that deserve special recognition based on how well they perform relative to their competitors at the time of review.
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 10.1-megapixel resolution, large 1/1.7-inch CCD sensor
- 7.1x Wide-Angle Nikkor ED Optical Zoom Glass Lens; 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display
- HD (720p) movie with stereo, mic input jack and HDMI output
- Dial controls for key functions including ISO, white balance, bracketing, exposure compensation and more
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC memory cards (not included), battery charger is included.
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||350 Photos|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||0.7 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Fixed|
|Display Resolution Maximum||921,000|
|Display Size||3 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||10.1 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||3,200|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, C ompatible i-TTL Nikon Speedlights|
|Focus Description||Single AF/Full-time AF, Multi AF, Center AF, Face detection AF|
|Focus Type||Autofocus & Manual|
|ISO Range||100 - 3200 + Hi (ISO 6400)|
|Image Aspect Ratio||1:1, 5:4, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Item Dimensions||3.1 x 1.8 x 4.5 inches|
|Item Display Weight||310 grams|
|Item Weight||0.68 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||7.4 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Weight||0.6 grams|
|Macro Focus Range||2 cm|
|Maximum Aperture||5.6 mm|
|Maximum Aperture Range||F2.8 - F5.6|
|Maximum Focal Length||200 mm|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/4000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||1,280 Pixels|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||3,648|
|Memory Storage Capacity||79 MB|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Focal Length||28 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||60 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||10.1 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Processor Description||Expeed C2|
|Remote Control Description||Optional wireless remote|
|Removable Memory||Secure Digital card|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||No|
|Shipping Weight||2.7 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||EN-EL20|
|Video Capture Format||MPEG-4, AVCHD Lite, H.264|
|Video Capture Resolution||1280 x 720 (24 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (tunnel)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
|Zoom Type||Optical, Digital|
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Nikon Coolpix P7000 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Wide Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3-Inch LCD
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||digideals4less||Amazon.com||PRICERIGHT||Accesories Island|
|Optical Zoom||7.1 x||20 x||7.1 x||5 x|
|Viewfinder||Optical (tunnel)||None||None||Optical (tunnel)|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||10.1 MP||16 MP||12.2 MP||10 MP|
|Display Size||3 inches||3 inches||3 inches||2.8 inches|
|Includes External Memory||N||N||Y||Y|
|Dimensions||3.1 inches x 4.5 inches x 1.8 inches||2.36 inches x 3.9 inches x 1.06 inches||2.87 inches x 4.69 inches x 1.97 inches||2.99 inches x 4.41 inches x 1.89 inches|
|Item Weight||0.68 pounds||0.36 pounds||0.86 pounds||0.88 pounds|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
Review summary from DPReview
Nikon's engineers have clearly been looking to Canon's G-series for inspiration, and the P7000's boxy build, and plethora of external controls put it closer to the Powershot G12 than any previous P-series compact. Ultimately, the P7000's excellent image quality, and functional ergonomics are let down by slow, glitchy operation and lack of responsiveness.
Scoring is relative only to the other products in the same category.
Sample images from DPReview
Sample images for Nikon Coolpix P7000
From the Manufacturer
The Nikon Coolpix P7000 is a compact, high-performance digital camera offering superb image quality and precise imaging control. An ideal traveling companion to your DSLR, the Coolpix P7000 will be found in gadget bags of advanced amateurs and pro-shooters alike. Powered by Nikon's leading-edge technology, the P7000 is designed for no-limits shooting. In low-light or tricky light, for fast-moving subjects, dramatic landscapes and detailed close-ups, here's a camera capable of keeping pace with your imagination to deliver your take on your world.
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Highlights
Superior Image Quality
- 10.1-megapixel, large 1/1.7-inch CCD sensor for stunning images.
- 7.1x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Glass Lens. Versatile 28-200mm lens ranges wide to capture landscapes, zooms in to get close to the action. In the Nikkor tradition of precision optics, the high-quality ED glass lens delivers superb color and razor-sharp results.
- 5-way VR Image Stabilization System
- Optical VR Image Stabilization by lens shift minimizes the effects of camera shake.
- Hybrid VR Image stabilization by lens shift and electronic VR.
- Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and ISO to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO up to 6400 at full resolution for optimum results when shooting in low light or photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Nikon's Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter is pressed, then selects and saves the sharpest image.
- RAW file function compatible with Mac® and Windows®.
- EXPEED C2 continues to expand the possibilities of photography with improved levels of image quality, fine detail and processing speed. Custom-optimized for each Coolpix model, Nikon's renowned digital image processing engine ensures outstanding images.
- 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for still images and movies that come alive with rich detail and improved contrast. The large LCD's wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating make it easy to compose, view and share pictures.
- Large Optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment dial.
- Remote control operation with optional wireless ML-L3.
- Optional Wide Angle Converter (WC-E75A) for 21mm coverage (requires UR-E22 adapter ring)
- Dial controls for key functions including ISO, white balance, bracketing, exposure compensation and more.
- PSAM (Program, Shutter, Aperture, Manual) exposure control, custom function control.
- ISO can be set as high as 6400 at full resolution; 12,800 in Low noise Night Mode (3-Megapixel).
- Tone Level Information provides photographers with 9 levels of grey scale information about the scene for fine exposure analysis according to user's creative needs.
- In-camera editing functions include Exposure Compensation, Coolpix Picture Control, Noise Reduction Filter, Quick Retouch, DLighting and Active D-Lighting.
- Electronic Virtual Horizon Display enables precise leveling of the camera in landscape or portrait orientation during LCD monitor shooting.
- Coolpix Picture Control can be customized for Image Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation, Filter Effects, and Tone.
- HD (720p) Movie with Stereo, Mic Input Jack and HDMI Output. Records at 30 fps with Zoom, Autofocus and stereo sound. Mic Input Jack allows for optional microphone to be used during recording and HDMI output allows easy in-camera playback or convenient playback on HD-TV or computer.
- Ultra-fast start-up, autofocus and shooting.
- Subject Tracking tracks a moving subject to ensure sharp focus.
- Shoot Continuously up to 45 pictures at approx. 1.3 fps at full resolution.
- Interval Timer Shooting captures images at specified time intervals Convenient Features
- Smart Portrait System
- Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles.
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects most instances of red-eye as you shoot. You may never see red-eye again.
- Face-Priority AF. Nikon's face-finding technology automatically detects up to 12 faces.
- Skin Softening smoothes skin tones at three different levels for optimal portraits; can be applied while shooting or during playback.
- Built-in Flash plus i-TTL Flash function when used with optional Nikon Speedlight System.
- 18 Scene Modes, including Scene Auto Selector, for optimized shooting in a variety of settings and situations.
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you're shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
- Macro shooting as close as 0.8 inches.
- 350 still shots (approx.) with supplied EN-EL 14 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras on our review page: Point-and-Shoot Cameras
Top Customer Reviews
I've been shopping for a new P&S easily for a year. Got interested and then uninterested in the Canon G11/G12/S95 because the lens is too short (even the extenders don't push it out far enough). Similar higher-end P&S cameras don't have the length I was looking for, or didn't fit the size criteria (ruled out the 'super zooms' largely because of this).
Nikon got my attention first with the P100 - but I read about image quality issues. When I learned about the P7000, I was intrigued. Could Nikon overcome its perceived issues and produce a P&S that makes picky photo people happy?
I made the plunge and bought the P7000. After reading a few more reviews and having a burst of post-purchase cognitive dissonance, the best plan was to just take the new acquisition out and A:B it against my D300 and the Lumix in a variety of conditions.
I'm glad I did.Read more ›
Size and Handling -- This really just depends on what you are looking for. If you want a pocket camera that can fit into shirt pockets, jean pockets, etc then this is not the camera for you and you really should look elsewhere. For me, it's the perfect size, not too big and not too small. The camera is solid but not too heavy.
Picture quality -- I shoot mainly in RAW and the quality so far is excellent. Little noise up to ISO400 and usable to ISO800. Can go to 1600 in a pinch.
Autofocus -- Focus is fast and accurate. There are options for Autofocus, Macro Focus, Infinity, and Manual Focus. Be sure to read the manual and spend time understanding the focus options. Some people are reporting focus issues and I believe many are related to users not learning enough about the focus system.
Write speed -- This is where I would have given a 4 1/2 instead of a 5 if I could. JPG write speeds are good but RAW is fairly slow and doesn't appear to buffer. It doesn't affect me much based on the way I take pictures but there are times that it would be nice if it were faster. Of course if you shoot JPG then this is a non-issue.
Viewfinder (I don't use it too often but nice when you need it)
Menus (intuitive, easy to use. Even better if you're familiar with Nikon DSLR menus.Read more ›
Now I will have to look forward to sending it back to Nikon (on my dime) and waiting a couple of months for Nikon to "repair". Not what I expected from Nikon. We have vacation planned for next month and the whole idea of purchasing this camera was to have one which took quality photos but was easier to carry around than our D40x. Now it looks like I will have to purchase an equivalent size camera from Canon or another company if we don't want to carry the D40x.....
I should have read others reviews before purchasing as I see this issue is not unique to us.
I contacted Nikon Customer Support and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label since the problem was back less than six months from their "repair". I can't complain that I had to ship back "on my dime". Still unhappy the camera has been at repair facility for about 1/3 of the time I have owned it.
After a few weeks my wife called and checked on repair. Nikon stated it was shipping out the next day. After a couple of weeks it hadn't showed up and she checked back.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I do much of my "serious work" with a Nikon D700. Well at least that was my intent. As I look over the mass of my work for the last four years, most of it has been shot... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Bill P
i think it came to me new because i couldn't find so much as a scratchPublished 4 months ago by Amazon Customer
I had the same problem as another person with the lens cover sticking and having to open it with my finger. I sent it back and it was repaired under warranty. Read morePublished 14 months ago by George A.H. Cooke
As a professional photographer who decided to use my serious DSLR for studio shots only, I needed a portable camera for snaps on vacations. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Saffron Dust