Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
asked by Mr. Bill on July 24, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 122 answers
A
check out dpreview.com in the Nikon forum. Seems like all cameras thru #3114394 have the defect. I think this represents ~2.5 months' worth of sales, *plus* whatever is in the inventory pipeline.
Mr. Bill answered on July 26, 2009
Comment | 4 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I purchased a D5000 in July and have been very satisfied with it. Great camera. I recently received an email from Nikon about this problem. My s# is 304**** and they say it has the problem. I haven't sent it in yet. I'm having a problem with fixing something that works fine.
John Peterson answered on July 31, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just went to my local Best Buy today. They had 3 D5000 in the box and I had them check all serial numbers at Nikon's web sight. All were within the recall. Most recalls give customers a serial number range so I also would not be surprised if all D5000s are recalled either.
Book answered on July 25, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Mr. Bill answered on July 31, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Oh, one other point. From the Nikon webpage FAQ:
Q. My D5000's serial number was verified as affected by this Advisory, but my camera is working fine. Does it still require the service related to this Advisory?
A. Yes. Even though your camera may not yet exhibit the indications related to this Advisory, Nikon recommends that the service be performed at your earliest convenience.

Nikon recommends you send your camera in.
Mr. Bill answered on July 31, 2009

A
I sent mine in on July 27 and got it back today, Aug 4. Everything went perfectly.
Michael Schrock answered on August 4, 2009

A
Thanks for the reply! I do have a back up, a Sony 2.5 megapix I got around 2001. The D5000 gives you a much better picture to work with , I like to use RAW files with Photoshop which the Sony doesn't do. I've read the info on Nikon's site and will send it in. Our grandbaby (4 months old) is coming for a visit tomorrow for a few days and I plan to send it in after the visit. I'll miss it. . .The camera and the grandbaby.
John Peterson answered on July 31, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I saw that also. I want to say the ones I had checked were in the 308**** range if I'm remembering right. 30** for sure. Bummer. I'm running out of summer and I've got the itch for a DSLR. I may go for the Canon T1i. But I really like the user menu Nikon uses. That and the pictures seem better.
Book answered on July 26, 2009
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
yes, I've asked twice and haven't gotten an answer. I've returned a recall unit. If I could get a clean one, I'd buy it. I think it's a very nice product. But, I for one, am not going to pay retail for a "fixer-upper". At a "refurb" price, I'd think about it, because units below ser 3114200 are exactly that - refurbs waiting to be refurbed. I'm going to wait another week to see if I get an answer, and then just get something else. Sigh.
Mr. Bill answered on August 4, 2009

A
http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/D5000-Service-Advisory.page
A. Callico answered on August 7, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   13   Next ›

See all questions about this product