Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 150 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 155 reviews
on January 6, 2012
First of all, ignore the "For Dummies" part of the title, as this book is aimed at users ranging from beginners to those with some experience, and it's certainly not written for dummies. It is one of several excellent books that focus specifically on the Nikon D5100. Each has its strengths, and in this case, the book offers many color photos showing the camera's controls and menu screens along with a wealth of helpful information. It is well organized, the author goes into a lot of detail, and she presents the material in a way that allows the reader to quickly find just what he or she is looking for. Then, if you want to go further, the information is there.

For me, this has become my go-to reference manual for the D5100. It has a very good index, so when I want more information on a certain topic, it's easy to find. I usually find additional information that adds to my understanding of the camera, and photography in general.

I have not worked through this book in a systematic way, as I have with Rob Sylvan's book Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots, but instead I use it as a supplement. In fact, these two books make a great combination. Sylvan presents his material almost like a course, starting out with basic concepts and building up to more complex ones, while King covers each topic in detail from the beginning. I certainly refer to this one often enough that I would not want to be without it.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
I was disappointed that Nikon only provided a very basic printed user manual for this excellent 'just above entry level' DSLR camera. The full information is supplied on a CD - which is fine if you want to take a laptop with you on early shoots and keep referring back to it. This book is easy to read, with a few little humorous asides, and covers all the bases - both for beginner and the more experienced 'not so dumb' reader. Very well illustrated too. Decent index. The lady knows how to teach as well as how to shoot images. Recommended.
on January 4, 2012
I have owned my D5100 for several months now and have read numerous books/manuals for this camera, and in my opinion, this is the best book for individuals new to the D5100 and DSLR cameras in general. There are other highly rated books that, while informative, are more complex/detailed and better suited to more experienced photographers. As someone new to photography, there is an overwhelming amount of information available, and it is easy to get bogged down in the details. This book cuts to the chase, is organized in an easy to read format and will help you get up to speed on the ins and outs of the D5100 quickly.
on February 13, 2012
A Nikon D5100 can be a little intimidating, well let's be totally honest, it can be a lot intimidating - and Nikon's supplied manual covers the surface capabilities - - fairly well. This is my first ever 'for dummies' book and I am quite impressed with it. It's not elitest in it's explanations, you understand what the writer is trying to communicate and you're ready and excited to go out and test your new knowledge. You need this book if you really want to understand the capabilities of your new camera. It's well worth the price!
When I opened this instruction book, Nikon D5100 For Dummies, I was amazed how little I knew about the settings of my camera. The orginal instruction booklet was hard to comprehend at best and I'd have to admit, I muddled thru it for about a year. This new book for Dummies jumped alive with easy to read and understand instructions for every setting of the D5100 and opened my eyes to new avenues of photography from my camera. It even showed detailed instruction for settings in either manual or auto that the orginal instruction booklet never informed me was available.

I highly recommend this book to anyone (seasoned or beginner) to expand your skills and knowledge of photography. I would never sell the information short of this manual for the insight and expanse knowledge your will gain once you start reading and applying the easy-to-read Nikon D5100 For Dummies.
on February 16, 2012
I have not finished the whole book yet, but wanted to say that just having a book about my specific camera, telling me how to use all the options etc. is really good. The pictures are exactly like the camera I am holding in my hand as I read, and it explains things I hadn't thought to ask about yet.
on October 25, 2013
Most have for beginners. The manuel with the camera tells you very little.
I have been working my way through the book, trying each instruction on the camera as I go. I'm picking up something new on each page. The book is very informative. Don't be thrown by the "Dummies" part.
on June 12, 2013
I really like this book for new dslr begineers, there is a lot to this camera so I am taking my time going through this book. It is the most helpful book I have read,but I noticed that the Nikon D5100 takes excellent pictures in the automatic mode for a rookie like me so I have a long way to go to get any wear near a medium photographer yet. but I,m getting ready out here in the middle of nowhere in az on hwy 89 north outside of flagstaff. The Nikon 55-300mm lens is a very nice lens to practice with so I will be working on my problem because everything is very far away off the road. (mountains etc)
on March 6, 2014
I am not new to digital photography, but I am not a professional. I wanted a book to help me learn more and dig deeper into all the functions my camera could do. This book is very helpful. The first half I pretty well knew, but was a great refresher. It went over very basic information. It would be really helpful if you knew nothing about your camera.

The second half is very helpful to me. It is explaining things I knew a little bit about but didn't really understand and telling me things that I didn't even know I could do!

It is a great resource to have and I am very glad I purchased it!
on January 15, 2014
Nikon D1500 For Dummies explains and shows how to use the many setting on this camera in an easy to understand way. It helped with special Christmas pictures that would not have been possible without it. It is money well spent. The book arrived in a timely manner and is everything other reviewers said it would be. Very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone else with this camera. The owner's manual that comes with the camera is not as informative.