Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 139 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 150 reviews
on May 3, 2013
I bought and read 3 books titled with Nikon D5200. I have never considered myself as a "Dummy" or an "Idiot" so those type book titles never appealed to me. However after reading the first 3 books and still not sure how to use my $1000+ toy I was beginning to wonder if maybe I was ????? ... so... I ordered this one for dummies. This lady is a teacher!!! Best laid out and executed instructional book on any subject I have ever read. Book is on quality paper, full of instructional pictures (worth a 1000 words) and the author anticipated my needs and questions. There is a difference between knowing how to operate a camera and how to "use" a camera (I figured out the left-right arrows, scrolling, and selecting stuff all by myself in less than 5 min) this is all the other books dealt with, endless pages of sequence button pushing. By using this book I learned how to "use" my camera, not just "operate" it. Don't waste your time or money with the other rewrites of the owners manual, this is an Excellent book, Ms King is to be congratulated!!
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2014
I haven't gotten through this entire book yet, but from what I've seen of it thus far, I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs to get up to speed with all the ins and outs of a digital SLR camera, especially the Nikon D5200 which has an amazing amount of functions. The book starts out giving you an overview of the basics and then gets into the more technical aspects. The pages are filled with color photos, which I found to be extremely helpful, and there are also little icons in many of the margins that give you special tips, as well as some warnings, about what to do and what not to do. The fact that the author occasionally throws a little humor into her words was sort of a refreshing touch. I think you will enjoy her writing style while you are also learning how to make the most out of your D5200. I know I have been gaining a lot from the information "Nikon 5200 For Dummies" provides. It is an excellent reference guide that provides a wealth of information written in language that is easy to understand.
on August 26, 2014
I think I have to agree with some of the other evaluations. I found that some of the pictures and instructions did not match exactly with my D5200 camera. One of my biggest frustrations was with the basic step of Adjusting the Viewfinder to your eyesight. I could not find exactly how to do this critical step. How far away should the subject be; what kind of lighting? I wear glasses, how does that impact the adjustment? Should I wear my glasses or not? One other thing I would like to see is a way to convert suggested settings from other sources to match the settings on this camera. For example: I recently received advice to set my exposure to EV=+1.3. I have no idea how to do that on my Nikon 5200.
on June 2, 2016
Great book makes learning your camera much easier. Offers you the technical term along side the it's laymen explanation. If you need to know anything about the Nikon D5200 this is the book for you. Don't suffer trying to understand the manual if you've never had a photography class you'll struggle with the terms. No more of that. Enjoy it and buy knowing you'll be using your camera like a pro.
on August 17, 2014
This taught me soooo much! I took notes while I was reading through here & in my notes I refferenced what page # that was in the book that way if I ever forget what I learned I can just go back through my notes!! This book is AMAZING she really took her time to explain things in great detail!!! I have started a small photography gig on the side now that I know how to use my camera I'm getting some amazing pics!!! Great Buy!!!!
on December 5, 2013
Tells you what you need in an fairly easy to use format. This book is a very good reference work and learning tool. Everything that I was looking to learn about my D5200 camera was in the book and was presented in a fairly easy to use\learn way. I purchased the digital version and installed it on to my Ipads, Ipod touch and Android tablet so it is there for whenever I need it. If there is any fault with the work it is with the index when looking for help with a very specific function. It can be a little hard to find exactly where the information that you are looking for is located. Don't get me wrong, all the info you need is there, just finding that little specific thing can take a bit of work. IE: Setting the function button to be used to put the camera into HDR mode.
That little fault aside it is worth every penny.
on March 17, 2016
Excellent book! Even though I have an older Nikon, the information works just as well for what I have as it does for the D5200...worth it! Explains in basic, easy-to-understand terminology what each piece of the camera does, how to adjust for various effects, and more! Would recommend this to any Photography beginner!
on May 19, 2017
A very good book for beginners. It's easy to understand and very helpful to someone who just had their first dslr. The manual that comes with the dslr is pretty confusing and this book gives more detail, clear instruction.
on January 9, 2016
Great book for learning your way around the D5200. It contains so much more information than the user manual that comes with the camera. Easy to understand and great for beginners. I've long been a fan of the Dummies book series. In spite of the name this book will make you smarter about the D5200 in no time.
on September 9, 2013
I am just starting to delve deeper into DSLR photography, and bought this book along with my camera after reading reviews of other D5200 guides. I have to agree with the majority of reviewers and give this book 5 stars. It is an excellent guide that will help you to make sense of all the buttons and features on the D5200. It is well written, easy to understand, and has an excellent index for quick reference. It takes a somewhat intimidating load of information and breaks it down into usable pieces. I don't think I could have gotten such a good start with my new camera without this book.