Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Style: Body Only|Configuration: Base|Change
Price:$622.79 - $899.00

Showing 1-10 of 775 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 975 reviews
on December 5, 2015
Thought I'd chime in after 3+ years of use. Still cranking out some great images. I've had mine in Alaska several times as well as Iceland, Africa, Nepal and it's never let me down. I'm thinking of going FF but this is still getting the job done. This is a great camera at 1/2 the price I paid for it. If you on the fence buy it you won't be disappointed.
review image review image review image review image
on June 10, 2011
I went a little crazy last year and bought a D700. I learned that camera pretty well and absolutely loved shooting with it. But I am an amateur and always felt a little guilty having spent that much money on a hobby. What's more, the D700 is big and heavy compared to amateur cameras (it's an awesome size for pros), and I actually found myself leaving it at home on occasion because of that size and weight. So when the D7000 was out for a bit and received such good reviews, I jumped.

I fell in love with the D7000 immediately and sold the D700. Of course, I would have kept both if I could justify the cash, but the D7000 is so good that I usually don't feel like I'm missing much. There are quite a few interesting points to be made comparing the two cameras, but I recognize that the average shopper would not be considering the two in the same class, so I'll just say I'd be happy to answer questions in the comments. The short version is that while the D700 produces slightly better images and generally handles better, the D7000 is at least 90% the camera for the half the price and is better suited to the amateur shooter in several respects.

So why do I like it so much?

-Beautiful images, of course.
-Low light performance is extremely admirable for a DX sensor.
-100% viewfinder
-Flash commander mode for using flash off-camera
-The right amount of heft and size for my taste. Build feels excellent, and it's got weatherproofing!
-Dual SD cards are a nice touch.
-Handling is great. U1 and U2 modes are a wonderful addition. Nikon's command dials have a nice feel and are extremely useful.
-I didn't buy this camera for video, but the video looks great IF you handle it right. Think movie camera rather than family video cam.

What I don't like as much?

-Buffer is a bit small when shooting NEF (RAW). It doesn't affect me because I don't shoot much action, but heavy sport shooting could be difficult in NEF.
-SD cards still aren't as fast as CF cards.
-Viewfinder is a nice size for DX, but it's still nowhere near the size of an FX viewfinder.
-I think I prefer the AF selector on the D700 by a hair. One finger vs two. Not that big a deal.
-See above, but video is obviously not as easy as a dedicated video camera. Who cares?

I mentioned the D5100 in my title because I think many people are wondering if the D7000 is worth the extra cost over the D5100. The short answer is that it depends on how serious of a shooter you are. Do you understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO? If the answer is "No, and I don't care," stop reading and buy the D5100, or even the D3100. Do you want to film your kids playing soccer? The D5100 is better suited for that, although I'd really suggest you buy a dedicated video camera. These are primarily still cameras after all. If you're a more advanced shooter, or you'd like to become one, consider the following:

Some people say the D5100 has the same sensor and the option to shoot video at 30 fps, so why would you possibly want a D7000 instead? There are several very important upgrades that the D5100 does NOT have, some of which I could not live without:

-Flash commander mode: Enables you to shoot your external flash or flashes off camera. Huge capability.
-Continuous shooting speed is 6 fps vs 4 fps.
-Battery life is far superior
-Dual SD cards. Not critical, but a very nice feature for backup especially.
-Lossless compressed 14-bit NEFs. Probably not a deal breaker, but I want every bit of quality available from that sensor!
-100% viewfinder vs 95%. I didn't know I wanted it until I got it.
-Non AF-S lens compatible (for autofocusing), Will meter with AI lenses. Another huge feature. I can use my 30-year-old 85mm f/2 lens.
-Faster shutter
-Better AF system. Another big deal for dynamic shooting situations.
-Flash bracketing

The D5100 is cheaper, lighter, has a swiveling screen, and shoots video at 30 fps.

At $300 more, I think the D7000 is an excellent value compared to the D5100 when you consider the extra features it has.

What else can I say that hasn't already been said elsewhere? The D7000 is the camera to beat in this class, if you know how to shoot, and often, even if you don't.
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2011
Hundreds of general reviews of the D7000 have already been written, so instead of trying to reinvent that wheel I will address specific issues that people who are thinking of upgrading may find helpful. If you currently own a D80 the upgrade is a no-brainer. Just do it, you won't regret it. If you're using a D90, as I was before, you may be considering the upgrade to a D7000 a bit more skeptically.

I am a serious amateur/hobbyist with more than 50 years of experience in photography, and have progressed from a D50 to a D80 to a D90 (each owned for two years), to the D7000 purchased two months ago.

Initially I wondered if the upgrade from a D90 would really be worth it. Well, it definitely is. The D7000 isn't an upgrade to the D90 in the traditional sense that we tend to think of upgrades, it's a whole NEW CAMERA. The improvements I'm most impressed with that matter most to me personally for my kind of photography?

1. New sensor with greater dynamic range and superior high-ISO performance. The first DX body to come close to approximating FX cameras in these areas.

2. New 39-point AF module that puts the D80 and D90's 11-point AF to shame in AF-C and makes easy work of any kind of action photography. Not only faster and more precise autofocusing, but also a significantly improved method for quickly choosing different AF modes.

3. Improved layout of buttons and controls on the body, but with a nearly identical menu structure to the D90 that makes it easy to learn and implement everything, including the D7000's new features. The learning curve should be minimal coming from a D80 or D90. And there are enough similarities to the D300 to make it an easy transition.

4. Metering, especially matrix metering, is more accurate in a wider variety of lighting conditions -- definitely improved over the D90 and a major improvement over the D80. A camera's meter readings are always suggestions, not commandments, and EV compensation is often necessary. But the D7000's matrix metering gets the exposure very close to right the vast majority of the time.

5. The D7000's light touch (hair trigger) shutter release takes a little getting used to, but it definitely minimizes the chance of camera motion blur when taking a picture. I understand that D300 and D700 users won't notice much difference in the touch, but it's a major improvement if you're coming from any of Nikon's consumer DSLRs.

6. The 6 fps continuous mode is plenty fast enough to capture very fast action like birds in flight. And the new dial configuration makes it easier than ever to change shooting modes quickly.

7. Programmable U1 and U2 modes eliminate time-consuming menu diving and button pushing when you want to switch instantaneously between settings for different situations (landscape or scenic shots vs. action photography, for example).

8. The introduction of several "pro body features" in a consumer camera like AF fine tuning, which is not something you need all the time or want to use indiscriminately, but it's wonderful to have when you need it.

9. Better construction gives the D7000 a "pro feel" not present in other consumer grade Nikon bodies. A subjective opinion, I know, but just picking up a D7000 tells you that you're handling a very solid, serious piece of equipment.

10. Yes, we all bemoaned the introduction of a new D7000 battery. But this new EN-EL15 is a powerhouse that will give the Energizer Bunny a run for his money. A very positive new enhancement.

11. Last but not least (lest we forget the real purpose of a camera), I am taking better pictures (technically, at least) with my D7000 than I did with my D90 -- and doing so much more easily and efficiently. Compared to the 2-3 months it took me to adapt to the D80 and D90 when I upgraded to those bodies before I began getting really satisfactory results, there hasn't been any such prolonged learning curve with my D7000.

I have not commented on the D7000's video capabilities because I don't shoot video with it. I have noted that autofocusing with any lens in Live View is rather slow, even in good light, and many lenses may have difficulty achieving an accurate focus lock in low light. And a few lenses may fail to autofocus in Live View at all. This is not really important to me because I very rarely use this feature, but it is something to be aware of.

A word about lenses: Achieving the best results with the higher resolution of the 16MP D7000 does require good lenses. The 18-105 VR kit lens is adequate and will yield perfectly satisfactory results. However, obtaining the superior image quality that the camera is capable of calls for better quality glass. For an excellent general purpose "walkaround" lens that is also a Best Buy at $449, I personally recommend the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Nikon Mount Digital SLR Cameras. I prefer this Sigma to the somewhat overpriced Nikon 16-85 VR. To cover the telephoto range, I would suggest adding the excellent Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras to your arsenal.

I hope Amazon shoppers for the D7000 body only who thinking of upgrading from a previous DSLR find my observations helpful.

UPDATE ON 03/16/11 --

Here is a link to my Flickr photostream if you would like view some of the photos I have taken with the D7000. They include the EXIF info and were taken with the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM and Nikon 70-300 VR.

[...]

One feature I didn't mention in my original review is in-camera editing. This is not something new, but it's much more robust in the D7000 and I use it quite a bit. For example, JPEG shooters will appreciate the in-camera WB adjustment that lets you correct color balance that's way off right in the camera and then make subtle adjustments in post processing. Likewise, in-camera B&W and sepia conversions produce images with a full tonal gradient for later creative manipulation on the computer. Both of these are handy time-savers, and your original image always remains intact. The in-camera cropping options have also been expanded to include virtually all of the popular formats and provide excellent flexibility for basic cropping.

The more I use my D7000, the more I appreciate what a significant upgrade it is to the D90.
1717 comments| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2016
This is my second Nikon D7000. In addition to D610, D5300, D90, D3200 and D40x, I use this one the most because it fits into my hand perfectly. Although I like full-frame too, it's heavy to carry it around, especially when I travel. I also like the ergonomics and the design of the D7000. It's a joy to use it and nice to look at it. The body is partially metal and feels study. Unless I need to make a super large print which will require D610 to do it, D7000 serves most of what I do.
on January 26, 2014
If you look carefully through the DSLR offer from all major brands, there are very few things that might make you buy a different one than the D7000. You might say it's a subjective point of view, but since I've been shooting film too (with the great F5) and has my share of digital compact experience (Lumix LX3K), I've been wanting to upgrade to a different, (presumably) better DSLR only a few months after I bought this one, thinking that it was obsolete. It has now been over a year, within which new, amazing DSLRs have been launched. The fact that this one sells for under $900, makes it a no brainer for anyone who's been doing (or wants) a bit more than just snap shooting with a do-it-all-good-for-nothing compact camera. Of course, if a few hundred buck is no problem, get the D7100, or if DX is not good enough for you, by all means get the Canon 6D, the best, cheapest full frame to date. But if you want the SAME picture quality (as seen on any computer screen), flexibility and ease of use as a professional FX body, for a lot less money, THIS is still the best choice. With the money you pay for a 6D with kit lens you can get a new D7000 + a new Tokina 12-28, f/4 (best DX wide in my opinion) + a new Nikon 35mm, f/1.8 DX (most versatile DX prime) and a spanking brand new Nikon 80-200D-ED, f/2.8, a great FX zoom lens that gives you the best portrait focal length (120mm) and goes all the war to 300mm at a constant, professional aperture of f/2.8.
But that's just me :)
on May 13, 2014
I got a GREAT deal on this camera used on Amazon. It only came with the body and cap and battery and charger, but I have multiples of the extras that come with the camera out of the factory (cables, straps). My model had just over 18k clicks when I got it, and in the past 4 days of owning it, I've put it to over 19k. I can't put the thing down.

I was upgrading from a D5100 because I needed manual exposure controls for video, and I had heard loads of great things about this camera. I love that everything can be controlled by a button or dial. I can shoot so much faster now that I never have to navigate menus. I used to have my D5100 configured so I could change ISO, shutter speed and aperture all using the single command dial plus a button and I thought that was nice, but I didn't realize how limited I was until I got this. If I wanted to change AF modes, drive mode, white balance, metering mode, I'd have to hunt through menus. Now I can control every exposure/shooting function using only the camera's external controls and the top LCD. It's great.

I know people complain about the lack of 30 fps in 1080, but let's face it; 30 fps is really only used in broadcast television, and approximately 0% of people who shoot for TV are shooting with a DSLR. Yeah, so higher frame rates would be nice for slow motion stuff, but if you are at a level where you're using features like that, chances are you know another video guy with something you can borrow for that shot. For 90% of my video needs, this camera satisfies. If you do mostly video though, maybe a Canon system would better suit your needs. Personally, it's about 80/20 photo/video for me, and this camera stretches my dollars much further than most. AF is useless for video, as expected, but most serious video people know that manual focus is the way to go while rolling anyway, so not a deal breaker whatsoever.

For stills, AF is lightning fast, and is even great in low light. Silent focusing with all my AF-S lenses, and still pretty quiet on my 50 1.8 AF D as well as the couple of AF zooms I've used on it.

Since I've only used this camera for a few days, I'll end it there and keep this review updated in the coming months after more use.
on April 27, 2017
This is my second d7000, I got my first copy back in 2014 and it honestly is the BEST camera that I have ever used. Period. The features are great and I probably haven't even used most of them. I wish it had more than 39 AF points and while the auto focus isn't outta this world it certainly is better than some entry level nikon cameras that I've used. I should note also that I primarily shoot in manual mode and also use manual focusing for like 90% of my stuff, so I can't really say anything to bad about the AF. When I do use it it works and it locks on and I get a great image. Also note that the lenses and the light that you are in you will also have an impact on how your camera focuses.

I've shot 3 short films and plenty of low light dancing at parties, weddings etc on this camera and it holds up daily well except for in clubs/bars with strobe and disco lights. So whether it's a wedding or some other large event, or even just taking portraits this camera certainly seems to easily handle whatever I've thrown at it. Battery life is really good for photography, but if you're doing video bring quite a few extras as well as a battery grip, because while the battery can easily last a while on a full charge you certainly don't want any unpleasant surprises while out shooting. So with 2 sd cards slots and the external microphone port and HD 1080p at 24fps, 16mp and a host of other features this camera certainly holds its own.

So if you're looking for a solid around camera, or even a 2nd back up camera- this is definitely one to consider.
on July 30, 2015
Fantastic camera. Bought it as a replacement for my aging D70s and I absolutely love it. Even with the exact same lenses this takes far better pictures, especially in lower light situations, for some reason. Wasn't crazy that they switched from Compact Flash media to SD variant, but I like that it has two card slots, so I guess that's kind of a wash. Rear screen is nice and large, the menu system is improved (though similar). Good size and weight, nice and comfortable in my hands. Very happy with it.
on November 19, 2014
I purchased the body only since I had 3 Nikkor lenses from my Nikon 80 film camera. The lenses, almost 14 years old, are completely compatible with this camera and the transition from my Nikon 80 film to this digital camera was seamless, as I'd hoped. Much like the Nikon 80 film, many features are similar, but with soooo much more. I recommend reading through the manual to get familiar with the camera and to make the most of your creativity. I especially like this camera because I can use the view finder like the old-style film cameras and I was able to adjust to my eyesight. The images are amazing, and it's really fun to use. For my first digital SLR, I am very happy with this choice of camera.
on September 19, 2013
I'm a semi pro photographer in a third world country with low budget, but some kind of a talent :)
for almost 6 years i had my old good pal the nikon d40, i mastered it and from some time ago i found so many flaws in it .. it even started jeopardizing my work by not working properly, not shutting quick and all.. so i decided to get another camera, i was so eager to get a d700, d300 or d600.. but budget was not enough so i decided the d7000 was the next best thing, and i wasn't wrong at all!!! i invested my money on this incredible camera and the tank the nikkor 17-55mm f2.8... awesome couple! blew my eyes when saw the result of the first wedding i shot with this jewel! i know it is not the fantastic and perfect d3 or d4 (i hope when i become a master photographer in the upcoming years i'll be able to buy one) but for the money and features it is totally worth it! the quality is awesome, the controls are easy to handle, has many advanced features that will help you to improve as a photographer. Works great in low light conditions, focus fast and along with my tank lens it is just as fast as sound.. click click click! no more "wait a second..." issue i had with my ol d40...

it might have some issues as any equipment, i read a lot before deciding to buy this one, but as for me i got a diamond (not a lemon thanks god) :) pretty happy with my purchase

if you are in my case (moving to the next semi pro level) this is the right camera to buy, invest more on a great lens. If you are already a super pro, then go for the d4, i think you would see the flaws in the d7000 as i see on the d40 now..
as for me, i'm completely satisfied :)