Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 146 reviews
on November 24, 2010
This package comes with a DSLR bag and 2-DVD set (one for 3100, another for d3000, d5000).

DVD: For the beginner of DSLR, the DVD can be helpful, but you can also get the similar information from internet. If you are already into this world, and want to get advanced knowledge, this DVD would not be much helpful.

Camera case: This is really a high quality bag (a little heavier than you thought). Compared to the previous starter kit, this bag has great improvement in terms of both build quality and space. It appears bigger for holding d3100 with kit lens and 50-200mm zoom lens. This is expected as it is also designed for holding d7000. So this bag is for one camera with two lens. There is also large space on the front pack for holding accessories.

Check my uploaded pictures of the bag in the share customer image section for a look.
review image review image
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2011
I got this bag for free when I purchased Nikon D5100 in a amazon offer.
I have all the three versions of Nikon Bag including this one. This one is the best of all the three. See below:

Bigger One: Nikon 5874 Deluxe Digital SLR Camera Case - Gadget Bag for DSLR D40, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000, D5100, D7000, D300s, D3 & D3s

Previous Starter Kit: Nikon D3000-D5000 DSLR Starter Kit with Nikon School DVD Fast, Fun & Easy III / IV and D-SLR System Case

Bigger One: As I told, its really big. Carrying it on your shoulder looks as if you are carrying a suitcase. If you are travelling on a plane, you better carry something else. It still can carry a Camera, 2 Lenses (one lens fit to camera 18-55 or 18-105, one seperate 55-300, 55-200 etc) and a camcorder. And its very spacious. Good one for a Pro.
Compared to this: This bag can carry exactly the same, in half the space, half the weight, more stylish. If you have more accessories to carry, it may be tough.

Previous Starter Kit:
I didnt like the bigger one. So bought the previous starter kit. I definitely liked that one. Especially the yellow border made it pretty stylish. This one can carry a Camera and 2 Lenses (one fit to camera and one seperate). You can also keep a camcorder. But it will become cramped. And it does not have any more space. I fit in my 18-55 and 55-200 lens and it was perfect for me. No issues at all. But I replaced the 18-55 with 18-105. The bag became cramped. But still no issues. I can carry it easily.

Compared to this: This bag can carry the same + one camcorder. But its still light weight and the width of the bag is less. I have a 18-105 and 55-300 + JVC MG30 camcorder in the bag now.

Conclusion:
* If you have the bigger one, its definitely a good buy.
* If you have the previous starter kit, you need not buy this unless you plan to have a bigger lens + camcorder like me.

Cons:
1. If you want to keep two lens + Camcorder, you need to keep the camera upright (i.e. resting on the LCD side). Otherwise not possible.
2. In both the previous models, the front zip had holders for memory card, keys, extra battery, cleaning cloth etc. But this one, nothing. Its just a giant open space.
3. To make it lightweight, they have removed the hard sides and replaced with soft cloth + cushion. Dont worry about the protection. Its more than enough.
on June 17, 2011
Hi,
I purchased this case for my D3100. This case has enough room for the camera with the 18-55mm lens. It also has a separate compartment for a bigger lens, maybe 55-200mm or 55-300mm lens.
There are also other compartments on the side near the straps. 2 more compartments: one on top and one on the front.

Overall this is a good sturdy bag for the camera, extra lens, extra battery and battery charger.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who has D3100, with an extra lens.
on October 3, 2011
I got this starter pack as part of a D5100 bundle with a Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens and a Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR. At first glance I thought that it wouldnt be able to fit the 55-300mm lens inside of such a small case but I was amazed that I was able to fit the following items into this small case:

1) Nikon D5100 Camera
2) 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
3) Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
4) The manuals (in case I want to look something up), the battery charger, driver cd's, all the cables, 4 memory cards, and accessories that came with the lenses such as lens caps.

I might be able to fit one more lens inside but it would be cutting it pretty close and stuff would be rubbing against each other inside which is what I want to avoid. The included Nikon school dvd set has 3 dvd's in the case, "Explore New Techniques (for the D5100), Fast, Fun, & Easy (featuring the D3100 and D7000), and Fast Fun, Easy (featuring the D3000 and D5000)". The DVD's are pretty useful if this was included with your first DSLR camera to help you learn some techniques and how to better use your camera.

Pros
-----------
- The case fits your camera and 2 lenses along with most of your accessories.
- The case is made out of very high quality materials and has the Nikon logo on it.
- Very cheap price for everything that is included, some customers will get it free bundled with their camera purchase but others will have no trouble finding it online for $20-$30.
- The information on the DVD's is useful for first time owners of DSLR cameras.

Cons
-----------
- Not enough space for 3-4 lenses and a camera.

Conclusion
-----------
Its a very good bundle for first time owners of a DSLR camera if your getting it for free or getting it for under $25 but dont expect to carry more then 2-3 lenses inside of it along with your camera. I recommend getting a Case Logic SLRC-203 Large SLR Camera Bag (Black) when you need space for more then 3 lenses. Overall I am satisfied with this product but when I buy another lens I will need to upgrade my camera case as well because it wont fit in this case.
on February 23, 2011
Luckily this was included for free with a promotion on my D3100, as I would have been extremely disappointed had I actually paid for this kit.

The DVD is not truly a 2-DVD set...each DVD has a "feature" for two different cameras. Unless you have multiple cameras, really you're only going to use one DVD...which really isn't worth your time anyway. The entire 1-hour program just tells you to use macro modes on your camera.

The bag is made of high quality material -- it really is. The problem is in the way the top flap was designed. It doesn't seal the top entirely, and there isn't enough overlap where such a design is safe. It has multiple small "holes" where the elements or some such would be able to get into the bag.

I ended up purchasing an AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras and Accessories (Black) instead, which offers much more storage space, multiple pockets, and zippers to keep the compartments sealed. After six hours of walking around carrying the Nikon bag, I decided a backpack would be better for me.

If you're looking for an actual bag instead, the Canon Deluxe Gadget Bag 100EG is a pretty solid little bag. Sure it's a Canon bag, but it is made from good material, the top features a flap like this Nikon bag, as well as a zipper to keep it sealed. The downside is it barely fits my D3100 with lens attached (lens down) and two extra lenses. If you have a large setup, it won't work, but if it's just the SLR and a couple smaller lenses, it will offer better proction than this Nikon bag.
on March 23, 2014
Bought this for my Nikon d3100. The design of the bag is flawed. Any good engineer would have seen that when you pick this bag up with gear in it, the sides of the bag are pulled up by the handle, exposing equipment to the elements, It fine for all other purposes but this serious design flaw has me miffed and only reason I gave it 2 stars is build quality is good with multiple storage areas. Because of this serious flaw I would not buy again. I use to to keep my gear at home in one place but for a road trip I now resort to a good backpack to carry the camera and lens plus all other accessories. Buyer beware!
on January 29, 2011
The bag itself is spacious and well designed and it comfortably holds my D3100 with its stock lens and a 55-200m lens. I think it could have been a little smaller but I'm not too bothered by the size. The build quality is solid and I can see it lasting for a really long time. I especially like the clips which are made out of metal and should last for a really long time. I may go out and buy a smaller bag just for the camera and its smaller lens (since I don't see myself taking the bigger lens with me everywhere I go) but I'm largely satisfied with this bag.

What I loved even more about this kit was the instructional videos that came with it. Both me and my wife and clueless about how to operate an SLR so the videos were very helpful in getting us started in the right direction.
on July 16, 2015
very nice bag with lots of space. I have my D7200 in there with a 55-200mm, 18-105mm, 35mm and the nifty-fifty all in the main compartment. Worth getting. The material is also a metalic looking silver. Very happy with it
on November 21, 2011
This bag came free with the purchase of a new Nikon 5100 DSLR camera. I got a free bag with a previous camera purchase that we ended up really never using. This one is a different story. It has enough room to carry all of our camera gear including extra battery, charger, instructions and cables. It also has room for a flash and extra lens, as long as the extra lens is not too big. We haven't watched the DVD that came with the camera yet, but that is also a nice bonus...

It seems to be very well made. Good zippers, tough shell. The only things my wife doesn't like about the bag is that the buckles are metal and painted with a high gloss paint. They seem plenty sturdy but she says they will get scratched up really soon. The bag also seems to be very top heavy. When we take the camera out, it is always tipping over and spilling the other contents.

As you can see, the negatives are really not a big deal to me, especially in comparison to the positives. It really is a great bag. It is probably not the bag I would have purchased, but it came with the camera. For a freebie bag, I have been pleasantly surprised.Nikon DSLR Starter Kit with Nikon School Fast, Fun, & Easy DVD Set and DSLR Case
on February 3, 2015
I really love my case, I mean is classy and the materials which it is made of are really good quality, I gave it 4 stars because maybe I've been lazy and haven't use the CD at all so is entirely my fault the reason of the score is because is not that comfy to bring it everywhere since it's big and if you're a traveler and space is a huge deal is hard to bring when you're backpacking if is just a day trip is great cause it has side pockets and you can bring all the day stuff in it. so my conclusion is that the bag itself is awesome but have in mind what you need it for