Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 276 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 340 reviews
on August 8, 2012
Auto Focus (AF). I want to provide my experience with the camera and my take on the AF situation.

1. Back-focus. Some claim their units have back-focus issue. The camera does have AF fine-tune that can be used to correct the focus. But if amount of back-focus extends outside the fine-tune range, then it will require Nikon service. I'm sure there are units that do indeed back-focus and need repair. But I suspect many more users mistakenly and incorrectly attribute any AF issue with back-focus. Anyone who says their unit back-focus sometimes or % of photos, then that is not true back-focus issue. Back-focus means the AF is not calibrated correctly. It will not focus right sometimes and miss focus sometimes. So I suspect the rate of true back-focus (quality control issue) is smaller than people claim.

2. Auto Focus learning curve. There is definitely learning curve on getting the D7000 to focus correctly. D7000 is very sensitive and this learning curve is steeper than expected. It will takes some practice (and possibly changing your shooting method) to get the focus consistently correct.

My experience. When I first got the camera, at least 50% of my images are soft for 1 reason or another. There are out of focus images, camera shakes, subject motion (try taking photo of baby and toddler who are constantly on the move), etc. I thought I had "back-focus" issue. After doing AF test, I confirmed there is no back-focus. But there is still AF reliability. After couple months reading web forums (particularly dpreview), I finally learned the tricks on improving the AF reliability.

First off, why so many people (including me) had problem with AF? My take:
- 16 meg. With 16 meg, you can zoom in to 1:1 and still see quite a bit of details. So any out of focus shots will be very apparent 1:1. This might not be the case with older DSLR with less than 12 meg.
- AF sensor. Web forums stated that the AF sensor size is larger than what users see in the viewfinder. This can cause confusion on exactly where the camera focuses. Sometimes the AF sensor focus on more contrasty region outside the AF box, which is not what the photographer intended.

Here are the suggestion on focus:

- Use 9-point dynamic AF area mode.
- Use the center AF point only, rather than the other 11 or 39 AF points.
The center 9 AF points are cross type, so they can focus on both vertical and horizontal features. The other AF points are either vertical or horizontal, which are not as sensitive. If using the center AF point with 9-point dynamic AF area mode, then all the center 9 cross-type AF sensors are being actively used.

- Use AF-C, not AF-S. With AF-C, the focus is continuously being updated. While focus is activated, move the camera ever so slightly, so the subject (area where you want to focus on) is being moved around the AF box in the viewfinder. As you are doing this, the focus is being updated and improved. When the focus stops changing (you can hear it in the lens) even as camera is being move slightly, then you know you have focus locked. You probably don't have to do this all the time. But for subject that can move (like kids and pets), indoors (lower light), and low contrast subjects, this really helps.

- Use 1/250 sec or faster shutter speeds. I was used to using 1/90 sec and sometimes down to 1/60 or 1/45 sec on P&S. There is no way I can use these low shutter speed without camera shake and blur on D7000. I basically use 1/250 sec or faster, even with VR lens. I sometimes push to 1/180 sec when needed, but I notice more blurry photos. Your mileage can vary depending on how steady your hands are. But expect to use faster shutter speeds than you are used to.

- Use AF-ON. Personal taste. I just find using AF-ON with AF-C together works better.

- If your lens is VR, make sure you hold the shutter button half-press for 1 sec before clicking, because it takes some time for the VR to settle. This is particularly true if you use AF-ON for focusing.

Even with the AF learning curve, I still rate D7000 5 Stars. I have being using D7000 for over 1 year now. The image quality, low light performance, dynamic range, and features are just incredible. Luckily, I'm able to figure out the AF issue (or non-issue) 2-3 months after I got the camera. Now, I don't even think about the AF while shooting. I can keep my attention on the subject and framing; and enjoy the resulting images.

If you don't want to deal with the AF learning curve, then stay away from D7000. Out of focus photos are no fun and there is no way to recover those images.
on April 23, 2014
I wanted to move back to a full sized SLR now that the technology is just so fantastic, and after doing a lot of evaluation, chose the Nikon. Given the complexity, it is surprisingly user friendly. And the bottom line is, it takes fantastic pictures! I took a trip out to the Texas Hill Country a couple of weeks ago during the peak of wildflower season, and the pictures I was able to get were just great. Of course, having a minimum of at least 16GB of extra memory is a must. I have not had a need to use the video function, but will be attempting it over the weekend on a guided fishing trip. My Dad, now deceased, was a professional photographer, and I wish he had access to great technology like the D7000.
on February 25, 2011
I upgraded to this camera from my Nikon D90. From my perspective, the advantages are external microphone connector, slightly better low light performance, and more dedicated controls. The viewfinder seems nicer too, but I've been using other cameras between the day I sold my D90 and the day I got this one, so I cannot be 100% sure.

To be honest, the camera didn't "wow" me (like moving from the D40 to the D90 did) so If you have a D90, I don't think the upgrade is worth it - unless you need the external microphone, want to use some old non-cpu lenses, need 1080p video, or some other feature you can only get with this camera.

That doesn't mean that the D7000 is a bad camera by any means, it does everything the D90 does, and more. Between the time I sold the D90 and got the D7000 I used several other cameras, from advanced point and shots, to a Canon 7D. My favorite is the D7000, I like off-camera jpgs better than any other brand, automatic white balance, auto focus accuracy, and exposure are the best I've seen. I also got a SB-700, and I got better results from the D7000/SB-700 than from a Canon 50D/580EX II

I recently shoot a polo match, and I do not thing I got one picture out of focus, or with bad exposure. (With a 70-200 VR II)

Final word : Get one - If money is short, get a D90 - you are not going to miss much. If you have a D90, keep it, and buy some glass.
on September 8, 2012
As a amateur photography enthusiast, the Nikon D7000 is my first DLSR camera. And i couldnt be less amazed by the power it gives into your hands - yet to subtle and can be used by newbies like me effortlessly.

The menu options are simple to understand, and i found them quite intuitive and didn't have to read the manual to know what each does.

The pictures come out really well, its 16 MP and amazing clarity - whether you shoot indoors or outdoors. The auto mode is a no brainer - i actually started off with the pre-set "scene" modes which are designed perfectly for different shooting conditions.

There are lot of manual settings - a setting for practically everything you can think of. I am actually learning all of them as i use it more - but its a real treat for someone interested in photography. You soon find there is so much to learn, it surprises you everyday.

You can take full HD video in amazing movie like clarity. Buy a 32 or 64 GB card if you plan to shoot more videos since video size can easily go up to 800 MB for a 5 min video on 1080 HD.

Battery life is also improved from the previous models - i got around 800 shots + a few 5 min videos from a single battery charge.

The only sore point i would say is - it is little heavy to carry around especially after you attach the lens. Need strong hands if you are outdoors and want to click pics as you travel.

I highly recommend this equally to amateurs and professionals.
on July 9, 2013
With the newer modelD70?? just released, this camera becomes even more attractive. 16Megapixels is *more* than adequate for 99% of needs. 22is truly overkill unless you print 48" posters. This is a "pro camera" hiding in a mid-range price field. I read one review that compared Canon to Nikon, saying that Nikon (D7000) is like a "PC," whereas Canon's "comparable" is more like a "MAC." There's a certain amount of truth to that (having experience in both environments - computer and camera-wise). The Nikon is very user-friendly after one takes the time to read Owner's Manual thoroughly. This camera will not displease you. It has capabilities you will never need. Those you do need are excellent and workable.
on February 4, 2013
I have truly come to love this camera and have been using it since Dec 2010. If you're a beginner, as in, you have no idea about photography and are not willing to learn technical concepts, then skip this camera and just get something you can set on auto and fire away.

The D7000 is a very sophisticated tool and it can be very frustrating if you don't know what you're doing. I upgraded from D50 which was excellent but I wanted better low light performance(high ISO) capabilities. On my D50 I had no problems getting images just as I wanted(technically) without much effort. With the D7000 I struggled at first and it took several months of reading and testing out the settings to finally understanding it. Just the focus system alone takes some knowledge to get it working the way you want to when you want to. The high ISO is amazing and there are even better bodies out now, but I can still use ISO 6400 images for web(if I must). The focusing is fast and the body handles really well. Most controls are accessible without having to dig into the menus.

If you're a complete newbie, I would skip this and get a D3200, D5200 or a D3100/D5100, all great cameras with great sensors and very user friendly. Keep in mind that the bodies mentioned above don't have motors on the body so it limits you a bit in lens selection. As far as I know, all the lenses Nikon currently makes have built in motors so it shouldn't be an issue.

Another thing to remember, cameras don't make great pictures. The person operating the camera makes great pictures. Getting a nice DSLR doesn't guarantee you'll be creating some great images. Practice makes perfect.
on May 17, 2011
Well, I'm still discovering a lot of functions... but here 10 key points.

1) In terms of QUALITY is amazing for its price. Everything is very professional, good materials, looks pro, feels pro.

2) PHOTO, I always loved Nikon and I still prefer Nikon over other brands. They keep on improving.

3) VIDEO, the HD quality is amazing, my only complain is that it has no 30 FPS in 1080p, only in 720p. I use it often in 24 FPS so I don't mind, but it's a flaw if you want to shoot content for TV in the highest quality/size. I hope they can upgrade it some day through firmware.

4) It's a little HEAVY with the 18-200 lens, but it's ok for its size/functions. It's average.

5) It's one of the few cameras in the market with a built-in INTERVALOMETER. A few days ago I was shooting a time lapse and it came out perfect, very easy to set from the menu.

6) I love the TWO CARDS slot for back up. Very convenient. Or you can also use it for JPG + RAW.

7) The TWO WHEELS system is fantastic and very customizable. For example, you can define that in (A)perture mode, you will use one wheel to set aperture (shutter speed comes automatically), and the second wheel to set ISO, or something else.

8) It has many customizable functions in different buttons (virtual horizon, same use than the bubble in the tripods), a new button: preview the depth-of-field, etc.

9) They compare it with the Canon 60D but I'd say it's comparable with the 7D. In some things the 7D is a step above, but in others the Nikon is way better.

10) Lots of alternatives for metering and focus, combinations from a single spot to a 3D tracking, from one point of focus to 39 points. Depending on photo/video, what kind of scene, how many subjects and how fast they move, you have a bunch of combinations. Or just do it completely manual.

It's a great alternative to Canon 60D/7D/5D for pro level HD movies. I compared it to the 7D for a long time, and I finally chose the D7000 for quality and similar functions, but much cheaper. The rest of the money just save it, buy audio stuff like the Zoom H4n @ $299, or put it in more lenses (like the new 50mm 1.8/G @ $219. I don't regret and I'm loving it!
on April 5, 2014
Operates as if it has a mind of its own and that mind was made by an expert photographer. I have been in photography for decades and used all kinds of cameras and this thing is a pure joy to use. I can only say good things about it. It is a triumph of engineering and human factors design. Whether you're an old pro who once developed film in a darkroom or a newbie who has just started to use a camera, this machine can quite easily please both. No doubt I would buy it again, but I doubt in a lifetime I would wear it out.
on December 25, 2015
I used to use a Canon EOS T5i, I wanted to upgrade my camera a little bit. I compared several models: Nikon D5200, D7100, Canon D70, etc. I finally chose this D7100 because of my preference for the appearance of Nikon camera and most importantly, its good reputation. I got it in only a few days. I was a bit worried about this DSLR because it has "only" 16.2 Megapixel, but the great image quality (better image quality than Canon EOS T5i) eliminated my worry. Also, I like the 18-105mm lens very much. My Canon EOS T5i has a 18-55mm lens. I feel it is not enough on some occasions, but this upgraded 18-105mm lens is enough for my daily use, and I believe it is enough for most amateur users. All in all, great DSLR for its price!
on April 27, 2011
This is a preliminary review. I'm a pro photographer who has been faithfully served by Nikon D200 & D300's for event and nature photography. Just before a trip to the Everglades, my D300's lcd info panel light wouldn't turn off and it kept abnormally seeking the cf card resulting in quick battery drain. Of course the fix was having lots of batteries and turning it off when not shooting. But In panic assuming that the D300 was going to completely fail, I read Ken Rockwell's review and noticed the D7000's price. With time running out and not wanting to shell out $7K for the D3x (or D700 for other reasons) I somehow found one D7000 kit, but not body, offered by Amazon and could get it quickly. It was on b/o everywhere else I looked. I didn't want or need the lens, but what can you do sometimes?

I haven't had time to evaluate image quality in detail, but it's impressive at least up to ISO 1600. Without the battery attachment it's small and light, but with good ergonomics. It's got most of the feature required for my shoots and tons of goodies if you're just a camera bug. Combined with the 18-200 VR it's a dynamite, relatively affordable package. It was easy to use without consulting the unusually well written manual. However, if you're used to the D300, etc., you won't be happy with the organization of the controls. The iso button's on the back left and the exposure options are set with a dial like on the D70, so you can't change the most important settings as easily. I don't like the new control for setting the focus options. But if you've never used a D200/D300 you probably won't care. The 6 fps is cool, but I'm used to 8 fps with the D300s battery pack. Those extra 2 fps sometimes mean getting the shot or not for sports/birds.

Random remarks: So far, taking movies is easy and fun. Rockwell states that the quality isn't great, but they look excellent when shown on a large led hd tv. I have had no trouble focussing with my 200-400 or any other lens. I don't like it that you can't display both iso and frame count at the same time. The lcd info display on the top of the body seems fine, in contrast to criticisms by other. What I'm really upset about is that neither Nikon or Adobe have updated Camera Raw for phototshop CS4, so you can't use the D7000's NEF files with CS4. Maybe Nikon gets a cut from Adobe for CS4 - CS5 upgrades, which I purchased reluctantly. Nikon's ViewNX2 is good software and loads and displays raw files quickly, but I need to use psd files and, of course, photoshop's + plug-in's features to do real work.

At this point, nothing much to contribute until I can get that camera back from my wife. (My D300 healed itself, I did lots of trouble shooting, but don't know why it started to work again.) My recommendation is that if you can afford to shell out about $1.5 - $2K for the body/kit (this price includes battery attachment, sd cards (too easy to lose!), decent case and camera strap [Nikon should get out of the strap business or contract with Tamrac.] buying the D7000's a no-brainer regardless of your expertise and experience.

Update, 7/1/11: OK, upgrading to CS5 was worth it, sorry about the conspiracy theory. This is a great camera except that it's destroying my technique because it's so easy to use. With the 18-200 VR and the D7000's low noise at hi ISOs (but keep using Define2.0), I can shed 30 lbs of photo gear and my tripod. It's really fun taking videos and as stated above, the quality's great. And Scott Kelby, notwithstanding, the built-in flash ain't so bad either.
55 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse