Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 700 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 856 reviews
on September 23, 2016
The Nikon D7100 and the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens are truly a great pair. This lens and body combo allow you to take your photography to the next level. It's compact and lightweight enough to appeal to enthusiast photographers who want advanced DSLR options. This is a truly versatile kit. It produces sharp, detail rich images and the noise is well controlled. The scene feature is a go to of mine when I don't want to try to figure out the correct settings manually. This was a definite upgrade from my D60 and I am still learning all of the functions. I don't see myself changing to another body or lens' anytime soon. I am beyond content.
on August 8, 2017
This is technically a very good camera. I bought one used as a 24 megapixel upgrade to my 12 megapixel D300 because Nikon hadn't released a true replacement for the D300. I'm not obsessive about megapixels but I do take birds and wildlife and appreciate room to crop. When the D500 came out I bought it and sold the D7100. The D500 has only 20 megapixels vs D7100's 24, but it also has a very large buffer, very fast XQD memory card slot that makes possible shooting many dozens of shots at 10 frames per second which is simply not possible with the D7100 or D300. Also the D500 has the same familiar camera-top controls as the D300 rather than the back of camera controls for these functions on the D7100. All of this said is not a knock on the D7100. The D7100 a very good camera that will take excellent pictures - a big step up from the D300 -- just that it is less adept at stopping things that move erratically at high speed (e.g., chimney swifts darting over a pond chasing insects) than the D500 and some of the controls seem clumsy to a former D300 user.
This is a step up from my D3200. The differences in size and weight are dramatic and can be quite surprising if you purchase site un-seen. The body is the same size and shape as Nikon's D610. This camera, however, is not Full Frame like the D610. It is a crop sensor, which means you will need to be multiplying the focal lengths of your lenses by 1.5.

Crop sensor cameras are both a good and a bad thing. For long distance shooting, it is great because it gives you "extra reach". So your 200mm lens in now "effectively" a 300mm lens. It also makes the excellent Nikon 50mm a somewhat great portrait lens at 75mm. The downside is that if your goal is to shoot landscapes and/or just shoot wide, then your focal lengths will still be 1.5 times longer. So your 16mm shots will be 24mm.

When I started shooting outdoor portraits with this camera, I noticed a lot of back focus issues. I had more shots where the background was in focus and the subject was not than I ever had with the D3200. Looking online, focusing issues apparently are a concern for this camera, but I discovered that if I turned off Custom Menu setting A3 (Focus Tracking with Lock On) that the issue generally went away. After setting this, everything has been great. What a relief!

The buffer does fill up fast if you are shooing actions shots in RAW. You'll notice it slow down as it writes to the card. Make sure you buy two very fast memory cards. This camera has two card slots that can be used as backup (duplicates photos from one card to the other) or overflow from one card to the other (doubling the number of shots you can take).

The photos that come out of this camera are beautiful and sharp. I am not sure if I can tell if the lack of an anti-aliasing filter makes a difference or not. It is supposed to make the photos sharper, but could result in moire patterns. I haven;t noticed a difference either way. From what I understand this camera uses a Toshiba sensor and not a Sony sensor. Usually Nikon uses Sony. Again, I am not sure I notice a difference.

Overall, I cannot be more pleased with this camera (after adjusting the settings in the menu, of course). When I bought it, it was Nikon's top of the line crop sensor camera. Recently, Nikon released the D7200, with some minor adjustments.
on July 26, 2014
I upgraded to the D7100 from my old D80 and the difference is night and day. This is an amazing camera, I have never had any trouble with image quality or unwanted patterns for the sensor and it's new filterless design. I have been able to shoot very good images of a full moon handheld, which is an absurd thing to do but the cameras speed and resolution make it an option, and that's what you want with a camera like this, shooting options. One of the main reasons I upgraded was that I wanted to shoot video and stills with the same camera and the D80 has no video mode. I have found the HD video produced by the camera to be high quality and to contain very little mic noise from the lens motors. One problem I did have with this camera is that many of the shots I took at first were not in focus. This confused me because focus ability was one of this cameras most highly advertised features. I had not read the manual of course and it turns out that the D7100 has a wide variety of focus modes and settings - after I read the instructions and started setting the focus options to suit the type of shooting I was doing, it has performed flawlessly. That is probably the biggest difference in stepping up to a camera like this from something like the D80. If you know the basics of photography, you can use the D80 with no training. With the D7100 it has so many more capabilities, if you just try to wing it without learning the cameras features first, you will likely be unhappy with the results. I love the ability to store your favorite settings, the dual memory card slots and the shooting flexibility this camera provides. My photos have never been better!
on March 3, 2017
What a wonderful camera! I shopped for weeks trying to find a camera that wouldn't destroy my bank account, but is higher than a pro-sumer. I think this is a perfect fit. It is a little older and has been officially replace with the 7200, but the WiFi, Bluetooth, and various upgrades did not convince me to spend the extra amount. If the 7100 is any indicator, the 7200 must also be awesome. The kit is well thought through for reasonable portraiture (if you zoom the little lens all the way the look is good) and landscape (if you zoom the little lens to full wide). The long lens is pretty good for wildlife although it could stand to be a little longer.

The features are great on this camera and I quickly adapted to use quite a few. Overall I am very happy with this camera and I love to get out and use it.
on June 27, 2017
This isn't the newest Nikon nor is it the best one but for the money it certainly is a winner. If you want to get into digital photography but don't want to spend big bucks this is the one for you. It's capable of taking professional quality photos. Novice photographers should take advantage of all the Youtube videos available about this camera and make the most of it.

I was a professional portrait photographer for over 15 years using Nikon film cameras. I found this camera to be able to deliver high quality photos for those on a budget. In fact there are so many options on it that most users won't ever need. Before you take the plunge into a high priced camera check this one out and learn all the basics that can be applied to the expensive cameras. It also make for a good back-up camera!
on February 24, 2015
I have owned 6 digital camera's; this one puts all,others to shame. It is the most fantastic camera that I have ever used, and the picture quality, at 24 megapixels is breathtaking. I have been taking pictures forever, and have taken thousands of photographs from around the world. It was like starting all over again when I purchased this camera. I had never been able to capture the quality that I am witnessing with this beautiful state of the art piece of equipment. Most reviews wind up giving all kids of comparisons of numbers that pertain to the ISO, shutter speeds, manual verses automatic focus, etc. but I am telling you that the most important feature of any Camera comes down to ease of use, and quality of the pictures taken. You will not be disappointed with this camera. I guarantee you will be repeating the word WOW, over and over when you see the finished product hanging on your wall for all to see.
on March 3, 2017
This was a Christmas/Birthday present to my husband to upgrade from his D5000. He's had it a few months and is very impressed with it. He loves the difference in quality in the D7200. It performs better in low light, and there's two memory card slots. The battery lasts a long time as well. This kit is a great starter with the two lenses. Our kit was missing the memory cars and camera bag when we got it, but after a little hassle(the seller made us check with Nikon if they needed to provide the missing kit parts, or if they were responsible, which was a bit annoying), we got what we were missing.

The price is on par with B & H, but with Prime shipping, of course I used Amazon.
on December 13, 2015
Just got this kit from Amazon for under 1k. Awesome buy with the two lenses, wireless adapter, and camera case! Amazon shipping was prompt and working with customer service was amazing! Still learning the camera as this is quite a step up from my D3100, however the photos are Super Sharp and impressive. The camera is quite a bit heavier, but worth it for all the added versatility and build quality. So far I love it. You will too. Get it while it's on sale it's an amazing deal! Love Amazon!
on March 4, 2017
this is a great intermediate camera for someone wanting a solid camera and great features... I had the 7100 and just bought another one on sale at xmas. it may not be the fastest camera or the full frame camera but it was one of the easiest cameras for me to work and still a bit lighter than the full frame d800 and d810 and others. I bought another one because it is a solid camera body and works fine with a wide range of lenses. I would recommend this camera and the lesser expensive d3400 Nikons as well.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.