Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 638 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 696 reviews
on July 18, 2014
Purchased as refurbished. Basically looks and functions as new. 1515 shutter clicks, barely used. The price difference from new makes this a huge bargain camera for the budget minded. I purchased this as a back up body. With limited use at this point, this is a wonderful camera. It has the major advantage of being very light weight and big enough to get a hand on it. If you are hauling around a DSLR all day this is an important consideration. Especially if you carry an extra lens or two. Really gets important if you are caring an additional body to eliminate lens changes in dirty environments or fast moving situations. I chose this body over it's newer D5300 version because I have no need of GPS capabilities. If I need Wi Fi I can get that with an adaptor or a Wi Fi card. Both items cost far less than stepping up to the next model. Any other updates are not significant between the models (for my uses). The one thing I really find I use, and missed more than I would ever have guessed, is the articulated screen. High shots, low shots, shots using a smaller/lower/lightweight tripod, this adjustable screen is so incredibly convenient. Saves the back, keeps me out of the dirt for the most part, and helps visibility in bright lighting conditions. I really missed this when I upgraded to the D7100 from the D5100. The technical points of this camera are covered in multiple other reviews, so I will just say I am not disappointed in the images it captures, even when comparing to the D7100. I really wish the D5200 could use the older lenses, the ones that need the screw type AF system within the camera body (the D7100 can). This body uses only the AF-S lenses to auto focus. The older lenses will mount on this camera, but they will NOT autofocus. Nikon continues to develop nice AF-S lenses that work with this type camera, so this could be the only camera you will ever need.

Edit: I would also like to add the list of accessories I always get to complete a camera purchase. If you are new to DSLR photography this is function and protection for your investment:
1.A good multicoated UV filter. It saves your lens glass from accidental bumps, that bit of grit you miss and rub around when cleaning a random fingerprint and other crud. It also helps reduce haze. They should be on the lens from day one to protect that front element from an unforgiving environment (and the Baby's cake covered hands when you go in for the close-up first B-day!) I have twice been very thankful I took this advise myself. The lens survived, the filter did not. Was a cheap replacement (compared to a lost lens) and the photographic day was not ruined.
2. A good quality SD card. Or two. I like 32gb Sandisk Extreme 111. They are fast and I have not had one malfunction yet.
3.A spare battery. I have had good luck with fully decoded non-Nikon versions.
4. A case/bag for carrying and storage.
5. A screen saver for the LCD.
6. A proper lens cleaning kit.
There are a million other things you can use for your new hobby, but these 6 are really important to the health and well-being of your fine camera.
on December 12, 2014
I've had a camera in my hands since I was in the 5th grade. My first one was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye - a 620 roll film camera - which gives you an idea of how many cameras have passed through my hands.

I was verrry slow to accept digital as a replacement for film - but I finally sold all of my film cameras about two years ago. At first, I tried a very good "point and shoot" digital (while I still had my 3 Nikons and their 7 lenses). But I have a deeply ingrained habit of holding a camera to my eye for composition and just twisting a lens barrel to adjust focal length. I tried a Canon - with eye level viewfinder; a very good camera but the viewfinder was not "wysiwyg" - just approximate. And, I don't care how good the rest of the camera may be, taking pictures of whales by "zooming" with a lever operated by my trigger finger just will NOT cut it.

For anything more serious than " snapshots", a DSLR is required (IMHO). My first, a Nikon D-80, was "OK" but not far enough along the way between "amateur" and "professional" - so I moved to the D5200 - keeping my VR 18-200 lens (and later adding a (70-300 - or something like that - which I picked up cheap).

There's NOTHING to not like about this camera - other than having to dip back in the manual to figure out features that I haven't used (at all or for a long time).

Unlike the CoolPix P510 I now use for "snapshots", the D5200 is ON as soon as I turn the lever and I can swing/zoom for a shot instantly - just what the doctor needs for capturing images of whales!! It will compensate for a wide variety of lighting situations and does an excellent job of managing light for dawn/evening pictures (for example). I even shoot the occasional "movie" and enjoy the results.

The only feature I don't care for is that this camera (with lenses and spare battery) starts out weighing only a couple of pounds at the start of a long day and ends up weighing as much as a small car by the end of the day! SIGH!
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2015
I am very pleased with this camera! This is my first DSLR and I literally agonized (as much as someone can over buying something) over the decision. I don't know enough about photography and advanced cameras which made it all the more difficult. Many of the reviews were super technical and I didn't know what most of the terms meant. All I wanted to know was:

💮 Would I be able to pick it up and immediately start using it with all of the settings switched to automatic?
💮 Is it easy to learn how to use it without a lot of studying?
💮 Is it be considered a good camera by better photographers?
💮 Does it shoot video with sound?
💮 Are the lenses good for basic but better than average photos?

The answers are:

💮 Yes, it takes amazing photos on automatic and still allows me to learn the more advanced features as I go. This camera has the user in mind.
💮 My friends who are semi-professional photographers consider this an excellent beginner to advanced camera that is easily capable of taking professional quality photos
💮 It does shoot video. With sound. And that video is astounding! It's clear, HD and can be fully automatic if you just want a video without taking classes.
💮 The lenses are telephoto and wide angle and can be used with manual or auto focus

We're very, very happy with this camera and feel like we've spent our money well, no buyer's remorse. I honestly can't think of anything I would change or want in a camera. If you're someone like me with no photography experience (beyond point-n-shoot), but want to move into a "grown-up" camera, this is a great choice. I've always been so pleased with Nikon products, this is no exception,
review image
on January 13, 2016
When I purchased this camera it was a great STARTER camera. It comes with the kit lens which is great to start with. The kit lens is an "okay" lens but the first thing you want to do is purchase a PRIME Lens, can't go wrong with the nifty fifty (50mm) auto focus lense. As for he camera itself, I thought it was cool it had the flip screen but have since learned there is no reason for me to use it really, but cool feature. The one thing I don't like about it is once you grow with photography it does NOT have command mode, which means it can't command your speedlights, you have to purchase a trigger/receiver system. You have to be careful about shooting at a higher iso as it seems to me you get alot of "grain". But if your lighting is good then this camera can give you the results you need. But this is a great starter camera and you can absolutely learn and grow with it... I would recommend this camera but it will leave you wanting more out of it once you learn more. BUT OVERALL is a great camera! And gives quality photos, I have provided photos I have taken with the nikon d5200, and my nikon 50mm 1.8 lens.
review image review image review image
on June 21, 2015
I bought this camera after weighing it against a D5300 and the D7000, and I think that I have made the right choice. The feature difference between this camera and the D5300 is not worth the price gap in my opinion, instead I spent that extra money on accessories and another lens. The camera itself is really easy to use and the learning curve of how to use all of its features is fairly steady. I've owned my D5200 for 5 months now and will update my review as I continue to learn about more things I can do with the camera daily.
review image review image review image review image
I'm usually a lot more detailed in my reviews and want to do this justice, so I will revisit this when I have more time.

However as a once (and maybe future) professional photographer, this is the best entry-level professional camera I've owned. I've had a lot of "prosumer" cameras that never did what I wanted. This one did.

It's intuitive (if you're "old-school" like I am, that helps) and if you're not experienced, it's easy to pick up. The F-stop is somewhat limited (I'm used to a much wider range), but the overall options allow for those great depth of field effects (by using the focus settings). Technology makes up where optics may fall short.

The built-in flash is kind of weak, but serviceable if you're doing casual shooting. The shooting options are great. How they compare to higher priced cameras, I can't say, but I haven't hit any limits in my shooting. Remote, time-lapse, depth of field, long-exposure, it's done everything I've asked for credibly and reliably.

I do recommend a longer lens for distance shooting. The 18-55 mm lens is fine for indoor and panoramic shots. But for distance shots, I recommend going much higher (I added a 55-200mm lens). I also HIGHLY recommend the "VR" and "AF" versions of the Nikor lenses. VR means vibration reduction - essential when shooting long exposure shots (think eclipses). "AF" means autofocus - something you should have for the more complicated shots.

For the most part, I do manual focus. I'm faster that way - especially in sports or action shots. For a more controlled shoot, I use autofocus. it does a very good job of that, too.

The image quality I consider to be excellent. The standard JPG format is sufficient for almost all uses. For pros, there's a RAW format that they may like. I found the RAW color rendering to be significantly different from the JPG format, and actually LESS 'true color" than what the JPG files showed up. it appeared to mostly be in brightness. YMMV, since I have some color blindness (but I can tell when something looks different than what I'm looking at).

Overall, the JPG format suits my needs and I save it at the highest quality to reduce any compression losses as much as possible.

On the down side, it's not the camera's fault. The company stopped making the 5200. The new one is the 5300, which I tried out in the stores and didn't like as much. It has a better (as in slightly wider and brighter) viewfinder, slightly brighter colors, but it's not as "intuitive" for me. The color adjustments are easy to fix and I encountered no issues looking through the viewfinder with the 5200.

IF you can find one, I think the 5200 is the best value professional level camera you can buy. You can spend (one hell of a lot) more on a better camera, but if you're new to photography, or getting back into it - and really want to get serious about it - this is a great starting point to see how things go. It will stay in your bag, even after you upgrade, because it's, at worst, a really good back-up for a pro unit. It has all the accessories and options you'll likely ever need.

Once I have a chance to get my ancient Cokin filters out of storage and see how they work together with this camera, I'll have a better idea of how to finish this review. For the moment, I can say I'm extremely impressed. And assuming you're not an old hand at digital photography, I think you will be impressed, too.
on November 25, 2014
I haven't had time to use it much, but I like it so far. The Live View is handy for the way I use it, but it drains the battery very quickly. Other than that - it's a Nikon, what's not to like! It has a lot more features than I will ever use. Camera manufacturers seem to think that their customers want more and more unusual features. I just want a camera that is easy to use, solidly built, and makes extremely sharp images. The multi-point focus points are about useless - the camera has no idea what I want to be in focus, and it usually focuses on the wrong thing. The closest object or the one with the most contrast is NOT usually what I want in focus. When using auto-focus, I try to lock it to the single focus point in the middle of the screen, so I can focus it where I want. I've been using Nikon cameras since 1962 (yeah, that's 52 years), and now have four of them, as well as five other brands, so I know how to use one, and how I want it to behave, but of course, NIkon, and all the other high-tech companies never ask their customers what they actually want. They just cram in more functions that make them look more 'high-tech' than their competitors. They want to advertise that their gizmo has more 'whatzits' than the other guys, so their gadget HAS to be better. More is not always better. More functions just make it more complicated and harder to use. Anything that has to have an 88 page book of instructions to explain all the 'gee-whiz' functions no one really needs is just too darned complicated! The attached photo of the night sky is full-frame - just reduced in size to attach. This was taken at 18mm, manually focused using Live View, and spans from Orion, to the star, Sirius, on the left.
review image
on September 22, 2013
Truth be told, I was looking to upgrade my Nikon D50 to an FX (full 35mm size image sensor) format camera when I began shopping for a new camera body. The price of those professional workhorses was unfortunately beyond my reach. I found this gem when I set my sights a little lower and I am very pleased with the outcome.

The pixel count is extraordinary, yielding native 10x13 prints at 300dpi. The 11x17 prints I have made are beautiful, something I was unable to accomplish with the 6.1 megapixel D50.

The camera is compact and lightweight almost to a fault. I know I'll appreciate this when traveling, but the "feel" of it is somewhat "cheaper" than I'm used to from Nikon.

The vari-angle LCD panel is large and bright and provides easy access to the vast majority of camera settings when not in Live View mode. In Live View, it allows framing pictures at otherwise impossible angles. (I find the shutter lag in Live View disturbing and therefore use this mode only when absolutely necessary). I like the fact that the settings and menus are navigated by using buttons, the joypad and the dial rather than a touchscreen interface.

The viewfinder is kind of off-center on the camera body and it took a little getting used to before I was able to automatically center my eye on it. Once that happened I found the screen bright and the framing accurate. The toggle-able grid lines are a very useful feature. The camera's exposure settings are clearly visible.

The 39 point autofocus system is fast, flexible and accurate. The various exposure setting paradigms are remarkably accurate.

The embedded technology is simply amazing. Along with the numerous scene programs the 5200 offers Active D-Lighting and High Dynamic Range (HDR) modes. Each of these post-processes the image to give dramatically better results in backlit and high contrast situations. The HDR mode actually takes two images at different exposures and combines them so that both highlight and shadow detail are properly exposed in the final image. There is a calculated multiple exposure mode plus a host of special effects and in camera image editing features.

All in all, an excellent addition to the Nikon line for serious amateur and light professional photography.
on November 12, 2016
Free shipping was faster than expected. Camera arrived with packaging intact, no damage. I like that they had tested the camera before sending it, there was one photo on the memory card of the shipping room I guess (32GB no less - a list of what is in the package did not indicate an SD card was included). Happy with the price, service and camera. I bought this body to replace my decade old D40 that developed a memory card port problem. The quick fixes on YouTube and elsewhere didn't work and it would cost as much to repair it as replace it. All my lenses and most accessories work, only the old batteries are not compatible. This is an "international" model meaning the warranty is from the seller. My D40 is a US model originally covered by Nikon USA. I compared the D40 and new D5200 and could not find a single thing that would indicate any differences between the two.

One very minor issue is the short version user manual refers to a larger, more complete "Reference" manual on the CD. Well, there are no documents on the CD including the file name listed in the small user manual. No biggie, it is available for download on the Nikon website just don't waste your time looking for it on the CD in the box.
on January 2, 2015
I only wish I could have bought a 7100.

I love this camera. I am coming over from an older Canon Rebel DSLR. I love this camera. I switched to Nikon, as it had more to offer for the money, and I was going to need to send my Canon gear in for a good cleaning, and its actually cheaper to upgrade and get the same starting lenses.

I have shot for the college paper, and also had pictures published. I am getting this for personal use, both for us, and for the future baby. I chose to go with the 5200 over the 5300 for the sake of money. I do not need GPS, and this package comes with the wi-fi adaptor. I wanted the cost savings, so that I can invest into a nice Prime lenses, and other lenses to add to this.

I would recommend this to anyone looking to step up from a point and shoot, and really learn the art of photography.

I learned to shoot on a film SLR camera, and still love the look film can give in some shots. But the ease of a digital camera can't be beat, and I would shoot with it more often.

I prefer to shoot in manual mode, so I can not comment on the shooting modes that has the presets covered. But, I do not see any of the modes being a negative.

The menus are pretty easy to use. I know there is a learning curve, so I am sure it will get easier for me to get through them pretty quick. The two lenses that it comes with are nice. They will work for most, but the first purchase will be a prime lenses, and something with a lower f-stop.