Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on September 29, 2011
I cannot say enough good things about this camera. I am an artistic street photographer, and it does everything I ask of it. I stopped using my Canon 1Dsiii the day I bought it.

However, before you buy this, or any other Nikon, you must realize that their repair service is horrible if you are not a registered professional, no matter how much professional equipment you might own.

Instead of repairing your equipment within a week or so, they regularly hold equipment for 6-10 weeks for "parts." I have enquired on forums, and this was true even before the tsunami.

My camera body required repair, and it was held hostage for 7 weeks. It came back with the vertical shutter release not working. They sent me a mailer for a free repair, but it made more sense to do without the vertical shutter than to lose the use of my camera for such a long time.

My camera stopped working again a week ago. It would still be covered by the warranty from the first repair. But I do not want to give up my camera as a hostage to Nikon service ever again. I brought it to a PhotoTech in NYC and put it on my credit card. There is another place in the midwest called Authorized Photo Service that gets recommended. I have not tried it. Both will repair you camera in a week.

The camera is a 5 star camera, a modern wonder, in fact. Please don't accuse me of being a Canon troll.

But an advanced DSLR is not just a camera body, but part of a complete system of that combines quality, reliability and suitability to many purposes. One part of Nikon's system --repairs for customers who are not members of NPS --is broken.

I'd buy this camera again, and I'm looking forward to the D4. But if you're going to buy it, please be aware that you never want Nikon to repair it, if the use of the camera has any value to you.
1919 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse