Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Nikon 1 J1 HD Digital Camera System with 10-30mm Lens (Silver) (OLD MODEL)
Style: 10-30mm lens|Color: Silver|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$429.99+ Free shipping

on December 4, 2016
Nice Compact SLR. I bought a reconditioned one which I would call new. I am still experimenting with all the settings. I am totally thrilled with the camera. I was thrilled by the photo quality of a Nikon as expected. Even though it has been discontinued it provides a significantly reduced price. Allowing for having a sophisticated device for entry into the world of visual captures. I plan to trade-up in a year. I would recommend this little gem to bother the entry level person and a sidekick camera for a professional. Good luck. Buy one!
on March 29, 2016
This camera is a little on the pricey side but a lot cheaper than the really fancy cameras... it's a very nice in between option for someone who is just getting into photography.

I found the set up for the camera very easy and straight forward if you use technology frequently. I would definitely recommend playing around with the settings and getting to know all the different features before taking it out and using it for something you actually *need* to take pictures for.

Though it is a little bit more than I wanted to pay, it is a really nice camera. The lenses are too pricey for my taste so if you are looking to get something with a wide range of functionality, I would just spend the extra money up front and go with the next level camera.
on April 20, 2012
I bought the J1 because my Olympus E620 was really too heavy to carry it around with me every day. The Nikon is not quite the kind of camera you put into the pocket of your business jacket but it is small enough to fit into the smallest place in your bag. I just started to use it and made all sorts of shots, daytime, nightime, indoors, outdoors. It is intuitively usable (I didn't really consult the manual) even if you want to use the more complicate features like automaic aperture vs automatic shutter speed. The results are brillant, absolutely comparable to my Olympus E620 bright colours, great definition, One thing I like is that you do not have to bothe to switch off or on the flash. You just have to release it, it comes out of its slot and the next shot will be with flas light. Another thing which is great is how fast the Nikon is on. Just grab the objective, turn it so that it goes into shooting position, the camrera will be turned on in the meantime.
on June 2, 2012
I was hesitant at first, wanted the Sony mirrorless. When Amazon offered the price and payment option, my decision was made for me. I am only a hobbyist but an adventurous one when it comes to playing with different cameras. Started out shooting in the auto mode which I found to be overexposed but did my editing in post. I've since switched to program, stepping it up and down as needed, and using the manual focus. Results are wow!
I am a Canon fan, really a fan, but this Nikon has blown me away.
Shoots like a full size DSLR, but carries like a point and shoot, which gives an added benefit of different venues that won't allow cameras with "detachable" lenses. The size alone has allowed for concert shooting.
After saying the above, be aware of a few "quirks" of the J1...many lightweight plastic parts, especially the memory card and battery slot, which worries me. There is no viewfinder, which I prefer to shoot through. If you do flash photography (not a priority for me) the flash is not better than a point and shoot. If these things are of importance to you look at the V1. They are addressed in that model.
I don't use the video function, sorry I can't comment on it for you.
Gave it a five star after discovering what this little baby can do, I am really impressed and loving it.
on July 7, 2017
DO NOT BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK.

READ EVERY ONE OF THE REVIEWS UNDER 1 STAR. THEY ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH ACCURATE.

TERRIBLE QUALITY OF PICTURES. THE PICTURES LOOK COMPLETELY ARTIFICIAL, NO DEPTH, JUST AWFUL.

AFTER USING THE CAMERA VERY FEW TIMES, 5 OR 6 TIMES, THE PINHOLE WOULD SIMPLY NOT OPEN.

A TOTAL PIECE OF JUNK!!!!

Nikon 1 J1 Digital Camera System with 10-30mm Lens (White) (OLD MODEL)
on June 14, 2016
I bought this camera last year since I didn't want to spend the bucks on a DSLR, but wanted decent quality photos. I usually take outfit and cosplay shots in the hall at anime conventions, so I was looking for a lighter camera. Battery life isn't that good, so definitely pack an extra battery or two when you're going out for a long day. Don't bother with the DSLR options in manual mode, it's really difficult to use... I probably am going to upgrade to an older DSLR with better controls since this camera is limited with what I want to expand to. But it's a great camera if you're just taking basic family photos or vacation pictures!
on May 2, 2017
I am a professional photographer for 40 years. This is my first mirrorless camera system and I love it. I took only this camera for a week on Maui. Combined with dedicated underwater housing and it is the permit fit for a vacation. Too bad the model is discontinued. There are seller with new or look new J! , I would suggest buying one of them.
on April 23, 2014
I am no professional photographer but I did want something compact and with interchangeable lenses. This is a great camera for those who like taking pictures but not quite a hobby to where you need a DSLR. It's easy to travel with and starts up quick so you don't miss those good shots. Just retract the lens and it's on.
on February 14, 2013
I am not a professional photographer. I am an artist who uses photography with Photoshop to achieve whatever results I want at the time. I own a Nikon F1 with many assorted lenses, a D3200 with all lenses, and now a Nikon 1 J1, again with all four lenses.

The F1 is ridiculously technical for me. It sits on a shelf. The D3200 I bought last summer thinking I would get up and get out with it and start to take more pictures. I didn't. As a novice, I was intimidated by the plethora of settings, bells and whistles. That kit sits on a shelf as well. I opened the J1 a couple of days ago and finally had some time to play with it tonight.

Having read the reviews, I stashed the kit lens and attached the 18.5. Most of the reviews mention a lack of performance indoors or with partial darkness and I wanted to test it out. So. My wife is asleep next to me, her light is out. The flat screen is on about 20 feet away, and the lamp on my night stand is on. It is an antique lamp with a beige parchment shade. I have a 60 watt CF bulb in it. The lamp is a whiskey jug my dad converted in 1950 with college stickers all over it.

I didn't set up or reset anything on the Nikon - right out of the box, 18.5 lens, that's it. I snapped a pic of the flat screen. Then I shot a pic of the lamp from across the room. Then a close up. They came out beautifully. Clear, sharp, well lit and deep, rich color. Depth of field is excellent with just enough bokeh to set off the focal points. The detail on the lamp close up is amazing. The relief of the applied decals, even grains of dust. Clear as can be. From a camera several people complained would not take photographs indoors. Yeah right.

I will play with this more when it's not 2 am. But so far I am very, very happy with this little camera.

I bought the Nikon GR-N2000 Camera Grip. As the camera doesn't have a grip on the body. Excellent.

A bit more...

The camera is larger than my wife's CoolPix, and feels like a "real camera' in your hand. It has heft to it, unlike the Coolpix, which just feels like a point and shoot. Feels like quality. Looks industrial and sleek - I got the white. It looks "German" if you get my drift. Bauhaus by way of Japan?

Yes. The J1 is little more than a mirrorless point and shoot. Yes, it has a small processor. No, it's not the perfect end all and be all camera destined to take the place of your DSLR. It is, however, a nice little unit. It's a new direction for Nikon, and after having been around their products since I was a child, I trust them to have researched, tested, developed and dialed-in a superior, flexible, useful camera. It's what they do at Nikon.

In terms of reviews and ratings? For a little camera like this one, it's pointless to get too technical. It's not a technical camera. It's a tourist camera. Smaller than a DSLR, but better quality images than a point and shoot.

I mean, do you need to pick apart every technical detail on a $500 camera that comes in pink? Get a hobby, right?

If you are a professional or highly technical - read "anal" - photographer, stick to your gear - this might be overly simple for you. But if you're going on a fun vacation or weekend getaway, this may be the kit for you.

The Mrs and I are heading on a cruise to Europe and around the Mediterranean for our honeymoon this year. It's why I bought this camera. Glad I did. I don't know a lot yet, but I am confident this little jewel will perform flawlessly.

(An aside and recommendation - I bought the COSMOS Brown Leather Case Cover Bag as well. It is just beautiful and functional and has the feel of a leather camera case from 50 years ago. A truly elegant little item if you're so inclined. It does not fit onto the GR N2000 grip - it's one or the other unfortunately.)
on January 30, 2012
I treat this as a great step-up from my sony point and shoot camera. I'm pretty hesitant to buy a DSLR because every time I borrow a friend's DSLR it feels to heavy in the neck.
Pros: small form-factor, comes with built in flash (vs sony nex cameras,) takes clear photos, shutter lag is minimal (I hate it when it takes a while for point and shoots takes a few seconds to focus before taking a picture.)
Cons: picture quality is not the same as the more expensive DSLRS. (You do pay for quality)

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase since I get to take better pictures without the hassle of lugging around a big heavy camera. Trying to save up money for the extra lens now. :)