Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 349 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 500 reviews
on May 31, 2013
I purchased this camera about 2 weeks ago and have shot one wedding and two portrait sessions on it since receiving. I own the D7000, and have rented the D700 for all my weddings over the past year. I've also used the D700 and D3S while second shooting for other photographers. I didn't purchase one in hopes of a D700S coming out and finally decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy the D600.

The 24 megapixel files take some getting used to, esp after the 12 and 16 megapixel files I was working with before. I will say, a wedding photographer does NOT need a D800. There's no way to quickly and efficiently handle files that large. 36 megapixels is way overkill. If you are doing commercial or landscape photography, sure, knock yourself out with the D800.

The D600 feels a lot different in my hands compared to the D700. It is heavier than I expected, but still lighter than the D700. The quiet shutter function is awesome for church ceremonies. I did buy an off brand grip to help balance the weight when using large lenses.

The dynamic range is like nothing I've ever seen. I have photos from my last wedding that have beautiful details in the highlights and shadows that would not have been in shots taken by either of the previous cameras I've used.

The time lapse function is pretty neat. I tried it out this past weekend and really enjoyed it.

I have not had any issues with dust or oil spots. Knock on wood. The focus is great, the resolution is great, and all in all it makes beautiful photos in a very compact and lightweight body. I am going to wait a while to see what Nikon decides to come up with, but I anticipate I will be buying another one of these this fall.
on August 6, 2016
I bought this camera as an upgrade from my Canon T3 which I used for many years. I love the camera and have learned a ton since using it. This has so many options that I'm not sure I have used them all. It is a huge change from the cropped sensor I was used to. There is a bit of a learning curve going from cropped to full frame. I did have sensor oil spots after using it for many nights of star photography and long exposures, but I sent it back to Nikon and they replaced the sensor without question. This camera is an extension of my right arm. It is extremely heavy, if you are used to a starter DSLR, though, so be prepared. I have bought several lenses and other accessories for it, and so far have had no issues. I do like the vivid colors of the Canon a bit better, but the ease of the controls on the Nikon are so much better. The fact that I can have different user settings for different circumstances is a huge plus, because I like to shoot at night a lot, but I also shoot portraits quite often. This has back button focus capability, can record video, has two memory card slots, can do double exposure, hdr, and is great in low light.
review image review image review image
on June 2, 2014
This camera is not designed for the amateur. It replaces my D200 which I really liked except for it's 10MP DX sensor. The FX (so-called "full frame") sensor allows me to use lenses designed to work on later model Nikon 35mm cameras without any focal length conversions. The 28-300 lens is great for traveling, but, like all zooms, isn't as sharp as fixed focal length lenses. The trade-off is that you don't need to carry a bundle of lenses.

Digital has moved forward by leaps and bounds, but still doesn't seem to have the smooth tonal range of film and that's my biggest complaint. Again, there's a trade-off and that's the ability to shoot with "free" film so one can make virtually limitless exposures (which, unfortunately, leads to spending virtually limitless hours of editing). I'm beginning to explore high dynamic range photography as a means of improving tonality, but it's far from a simple technique.

Under ideal circumstances, this camera is no match for my old 4x5 film camera, but most circumstances are not ideal and this camera will deliver images I would be liable to miss due to the time it would take to set up the 4x5.
on December 27, 2013
This is a great value for a full frame camera. Functionally it works extremely well. If you are worried about the dust issue, I will say that yes it will probably happen to you. I bought a refurbished model and it still happened to me. However It is only a temporary issue that will go away after a couple thousand shots. My advice is to watch some youtube video and learn how to clean your sensor with a proper swab and fluid as it is not very difficult (takes 2 minutes). If you have steady hands, you will not run into issues. If you are uncomfortable with this, pay somebody to do it. After your photos start getting dirty, clean your sensor. Shoot a couple thousand more, then clean it again. Chances are that will be the end of it.
on October 19, 2014
I love this camera. I've had it for over a year now and I can say that it has allowed me to produce professional results and charge for my photography. It is a great first full sensor camera to have, and a great value for the money. I have no regrets. My camera did not have any dust problems either.
I think it is also an excellent second camera to have if you shoot professionally and need a back up camera.
This camera is not perfect, however, and here are the two reasons why I would spend twice the money for a d800:
1. The focal points in this camera are all concentrated in a small area in the center of the screen. This is supper irritating to me. I find it limiting in composition. Yes, you can focus, lock, and reframe, but I'm not good at doing that. I want to assign my focal point anywhere I want to and shoot. This camera won't let me do that.
2. Noise at higher ISO. I live in Alaska and it's pretty dark here during the winter. I find myself pushing this camera to the limits of its ISO. Sometimes I go too far and get noise.
Overall it is an excellent camera. I would not spend the $3,000.00 for a better one unless you have outgrown this one and find yourself repeatedly needing the features it lacks. If you're not trying to get professional results in really, really, low light, and if you have mastered the lock and reframe technique, there's no need to spend twice as much.
Also, this camera is super light and small. I like that because I have small hands and the glass is already heavy enough.
on March 24, 2013
I often photograph dogs running and jumping and, unfortunately the AF system proved inadequate. I previously used a D700 which worked flawlessly. I purchased a D600 to get a sensor with better dynamic range since I photograph outdoors in the harsh Florida sun. The sensor is amazing and right on par with a Nikon D800, but the camera just could not track fast moving animals. I returned the camera, and purchased a D800 which locks on like a missile and tracks perfectly and is great for birds in flight too. If you don't need a camera for fast erratically moving subjects, I would highly recommend this camera. I have heard about the oil spots which happened with my D800, but cleaning a sensor is easy and that would not deter me from purchasing this camera. A bottle of eclipse cleaning solution, a lighted magnifier and sensor swabs will do the trick.
on August 26, 2017
great photo quality at an affordable price. Unfortunately, there are some trade offs. 1/200 max hotshot sync and 1/4000 max shutter speed. It has not stopped me from capturing amazing images, but know that those are very serious trade offs if you are looking for specific type of capture. The build does feel cheaper than the d800, and it is not as sturdy. However, i cannot tell the difference on day to day images side by side with the d800. I would highly reccomend this camera if you are deciding to get this or the d800 and are on a budget. Even if you are not, it might be a better idea to get this and a better piece of glass than the d800 for most purposes.
This camera just makes you look like a pro...The reason I say the reviews (around the web) said it was for pros is not because they said non-pros can't use it but they all read like only pros would want it. Meaning they seemed written in a language that touted things on the camera I didn't even understand. I wondered if it would be too much for me, a non-pro, to handle. Or would it just exceed all my expectations and make me understand what all the hype was about as well?

I jumped. It exceeded expectations. If it broke next year I'd buy the same exact camera. I doubt I'll want another camera for years no matter what the future ones do. Just take a photo of something that appears, to your eye, to be lost in shadow and watch what this does, for example. It astounds.

When it came time to pick a new camera that is more current (you can buy an optional piece for this and it will wirelessly upload photos to an iphone or ipad not only for editing, but to share on social networks, with friends and family, on blogs etc easily) I was a bit overwhelmed but I do endless research before picking any expensive new item and no matter if I was reading photography magazines, consumer reviews, or professional reviewer's reviews it seemed everyone was literally blown away by this new Nikon. Best Buy sold out right when they brought it in. I've personally owned many Nikons over the years. When I was majoring in art at college my photography professor raved about Nikon bodies and lenses and I fell in love right then. I've upgraded a few times but none held a candle to this one.

This Nikon puts many things that were formerly only in bodies twice the price or twice the size into this compact (well, compared to many pro cameras at least) body. Many pro writers of camera reviews actually rated this far above those 2-3 times the price so I mean that literally. The one mention that interested me the most was its' ability to perform well in low light. I always had a huge flash on my other Nikons which doesn't make for easy travel and while I have no doubt a professional likely still would, for me I wanted to be able to use the flash on the camera...as long as it worked well, without attaching one. I took photos yesterday in a building with no windows and only indirect light and the room looked incredibly well lit. In fact, I've been taking endless photos everywhere. I took photos in a CAVE and it lit up. That was a huge test. (This wasn't a place I'd normally take a nice camera...but it's in my backyard! Oddly, we own a cave.)

And I see why in my research for this camera that I just couldn't find a hater among any professional reviewer at the time. Everyone seemed to say it outperformed cameras they couldn't dream it would outperform.

It seemes to have a bizarre mind of its own it's so good.

Yesterday I wanted to take some product photos. I've done this many times over the years but the comparison in color was just amazing. I couldn't take a bad photo.

What the non-pro will love is the camera thinking for you. The past Nikons I've owned all had a few "scene" buttons...Not only can you do some manual things or put the camera on automatic, but you could get more specific and pick, for example, "portrait" and get soft lighting and a focus on the person yet soft focus in the background automatically...well this has those buttons too but Nikon has expanded the buttons so literally anything you want to take a picture of you have no need to think about the lighting, the focus, the aperture, or the shutter speed to get the best effects...because the camera will do it for you.

SCENE SETTINGS:

Let's say your dog is doing something really funny...pick the "pet portrait" scene button and you can easily capture fast movement yet a soft focus background.

If you are a food blogger or simply want to capture your Thanksgiving meal you just made, choose "food" and you get very well lit, bright photos just like you see in magazines. Incidentally, if you are taking a picture of something that you want to bring out the colors of and it's not a well lit situation or you want the colors to even appear richer than they are, this is a good button to use even if it's not food because of what it does. I consider it my "vivid" button

Choose the "child" scene if you want the above vivid colors in the clothing and the scene but soft skin. Seriously.

Pick "landscape" scene for landscapes in the daylight. This is another favorite of mine because I consider my backyard the prettiest spot on earth at times. But mainly it's an easy button to keep on when you travel and get all the right shots and I have an upcoming honeymoon which is why I chose the new camera in the first place.

Pick "sports" for fast shutter speeds and to freeze motion...if your kid is playing football or soccer and you don't want them to be a blur in every photo, you can actually capture them all day long in freeze frame. Have your kid jump in the air and get amazing shots...it freezes the action without you having to think about setting the shutter speed or ever even needing to know what shutter speed means. This setting allows you to take continuous shots right after each other. Set the camera on continuous release mode with one click and instead of taking single clicks it does the fast shots just like the pro sports photographers without you ever having to learn a thing about how to do it the pro way.

Pick "close up" for close up shots like a bee on a flower

Capture NYC as you see it...Pick "night landscape" and you automatically reduce noise and unnatural colors normally seen in night photos. Take a picture of a neon sign with this and then with most other cameras and compare...you don't get the noise and blur around the lighting. Street lamps and neon and lights in windows against the night sky are suddenly clean and beautiful.

Night portrait is just the opposite. It gives the person in the portrait main focus but the night lights and objects are in soft focus behind them.

Have the lights out and your kid is blowing out the candles on the cake? Choose "candlelight" scene.

Want to take a picture of a black item with a black background? Choose low key. White on white kind of purposefully washed out? Choose high key

"Autumn colors" brings them out best.

"Blossum" is your setting for that field of bluebonnets.

If you want to capture birthday parties, game nights, and family events, you pick "party indoors" and suddenly Chuck E Cheese's place looks way better. Actually anything indoors does. This is like the "food" button allowing indoor things not to be tempered with poor lighting but it can be used for far away objects and the whole room whereas the "food" button is better on those close up pictures like the plate in front of you (although it works fine for most far away things too. I use both of these a bunch)

Normally light reflects off sand and snow but this camera won't allow you to have to sit and think about how to fix it. Just put it on "sand/snow" and it fixes it for you. It captures the brightness of outdoor white scenes well but doesn't over illuminate anything either. I have a huge wall of white limestone in my backyard that I used this on as well.

Typically dusk and dawn are ruined even on auto exposure on cameras. You have to learn how to capture them and even then it's hard and most cameras make the flash go off just because it's night time and the effect is lost. The "dusk and dawn" setting preserve the rich colors in the weak light of dusk and dawn and turn the flash off automatically

"Sunset" preserves the deep hues so you can finally perfectly capture the scene and the flash stays off

"Portrait" makes the person in sharp focus but the scenes behind them in soft focus and their skin soft. If you want this look, like I used for a piece of fruit hanging from a tree, in other things you can use it as well...anything where you want the main item to be sharp in focus and the background to be in soft focus works.

Now that may sound like lots of buttons but the above are not buttons at all. You just turn the dial to "scene" and then when you push the "info button" you can pick which scene you are photographing...and it keeps it there until you change it. So, for example, if you are traveling and it's going to be outdoor landscapes all day, you just keep it on there and don't think about it until you feel like turning the dial to the dusk button and then the sunset button, for example. You can go back and forth from the auto button, for example, to the scene button all day long and it will remain on your last chosen scene.

Sure you can play with shutter and aperture or keep it on auto but this does even more thinking for you. For example, keeping it on auto also means the flash will go off anytime it's low light. But choosing "sunset" means it will adjust its settings to preserve the colors and also not wash them out with a flash.

So, this makes the camera amazing for pro OR novice. I felt a bit worried it would be too "pro" for me in reading the reviews because it appeared to be the only people who were buying it...I wanted the best but I didn't want something I couldn't use because I'm not a pro on any of the latest camera bells and whistles. It turns out it's very user friendly but the book brings clarity in one day to all it can do just by reading it. It's like pro camera class in a few hours time so nothing is left out. Sure you can just read one chapter but you can honestly learn the whole camera by reading the book. For example, if you read the pages on "high dynamic range" (HDR) you discover that if you are taking a photo of something that has high contrast like a building that's black marble against a white sky, you can set it on HDR...It will take one photo that focuses on the dark details then a second photo that focuses on highlights and combine the two together so you see every last detail in the building. Something like that is not going to be used in every picture but it's thinkgs like this in the book that make it interesting. You can also use it to make creative shots like taking a photo of "Big Tex" then the Ferris Wheel at the Texas State Fair. What you wind up with is a super cool shot of them both combined and overlapping in one photo. I choose this example because I actually won a photo contest once when I did just that...but that was a far more complicated process with an older camera. This makes it something you don't have to think about.

You'll also learn other things like time lapse photography that breaks it down into simplicity...so I do suggest reading things like this in the book. The camera does so much that you'll wow yourself with what you have when you do and you'll surely miss out if you don't.

There is even a setting that allows you to take pictures QUIETLY if you are sneaking photos in those "photos prohibeted" spots. Yep it does. And it has a setting for "flash prohibited" spots too you can set it on so no flash goes off no matter what. Like in a theater and Broadway show.

Have bad eyesight and can't see the focus bracket? This camera does so much that you can actually adjust THAT. You move a dial until they are in full focus on the disply as seen by your individual vision. That's what I mean about finding out all it does...I'd never figure that one out on my own without having done some reading.

Incidentally, I highly suggest getting the camera body WITH the 24-85mm lens. Especially if you aren't a pro who wants to be swapping out lenses...this way you get close up shots and full-room shots without missing a beat and just turning the lens dial. You are also in charge of cropping your own shots before you upload them because you stand wherever you want and then crop what you want by turning the lens rather than walking forward or backward etc. Plus the VR in this lens means "vibration reduction". If you are in car using your Nikon or on an African safari in jeep you set it on vibration reduction and it actually takes that into account to still give you great shots!

While I got this primarily for the camera, I have to say the videos are equally as gorgeous. The Nikon lens is so great and the video capability so crisp that they are the best I've personally ever taken and I've had some great video cameras before. Plus having it built in is just amazing for travel or, I'm sure, kid's sporting events or a wedding. The things you want a video of like the toast you get, then the still photos you get as well. With just one camera.

One really awesome camera.

Is it "a bit much" for someone who is a non-pro? It can make you feel like one and certainly take pics like one and as an artist, my camera has always been very important to me...It captures life and art and things like my honeymoon I can live through forever with great photos so it's an expense that is one I deem "worth it"...it turns a hobby into pure bliss. You can't put a price on that.
on September 7, 2015
Shutter oil issues aside - this is a fantastic camera. I moved to Nikon from the Canon 7D to this. Its night and day.

* Focusing - the focus system works almost flawlessly. My Canon I had front and back focus issues. Here, with 6 more megapixels - its more in focus and more details show, the final images are incredibly detailed. I love it!

* Shadow noise - On my old Canon, if I boosted shadows or lifted the exposure more than 1 stop - FORGOT it. Noise was insane. On the D600 the noise level is consistent - when I boost shadows it has the same level of noise as the mid or high brightness areas had. The detail is not lost. No strange vertical or horizontal noise. Just a clean, consistent image.

* Shutter noise - Compared to my Canon 7D its quiet. Noticeably.

CONS

* No exposure preview on the live preview display. Live preview stinks compared to what Canon is doing.
I purchased this camera the December after it was released. I'd wanted to upgrade from my D80 and had been collecting FX lenses along the way.

The camera is very capable and has some nice features: FX sensor, two SD card slots, video and a good burst rate with a good buffer depth.

I started out with regular 16GB cards, but soon realized that I needed to get bigger and faster SD cards. I found that I have the best results with a card that's at least 90MB/Second from a reputable maker. I've used both 32GB and 64GB cards with no issues at all. Frequently, I shoot both jpeg fine and RAW, so having two cards to push the photos to helps keep things organized and safe.

Although the camera shoots video, you need to use an external microphone. The internal motor noise is horrendous and there's virtually no protection from wind noise. I've noticed that the camera has issues focusing in low light when shooting video, so I use manual focus. If you have aspirations of movie making, I recommend a steady-cam type mount, an external microphone and a viewing hood for the LCD display since it tends to wash out in bright light. Even though these all sound like negatives, the camera's primary purpose for me is shooting stills and it does a spectacular job.

My camera came with the 24mm-85mm kit lens which is decent, but not especially fast.

Photograph quality is very good, but these cameras also have an issue when new of flinging tiny specks of oil on the sensor whenever the mirror flips up. I didn't really notice the issue for the first 500 shots or so, but ended up buying a cleaning kit and taking care of the problem myself. I've shot about 15,000 shots since the first cleaning but it's something I've kept an eye on.

Overall, I think it's a great camera. It's not as feature rich as some of the higher-end cameras on the market, but it's a strong choice for the advanced amateur.