Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 83 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 98 reviews
on June 10, 2011
This macro lens is usable hand-held in many situations. My Nikon, a D90, is capable of shooting at ASA 800 and above without serious noise. This means I have a few f-stops in hand from the VR and from the ASA. I have spent some time "practicing" in my backyard learning the ins and outs of this fine lens. Prints are 13"x19" so it is rather easy to see and appreciate what this 85mm is doing. The price is right if you are using a DX camera (one with a less than 35mm sensor). Some tips are the following : 1) if your not using a tripod, make sure you are solid, e.g., sit on the ground and/or keep your upper arms glued to your body, otherwise the VR wont help much at close distances, 2) pay lots of attention to focus since close up depth-of-field is close to zilch, 3) use as small an aperture as possible consistent with enough shutter speed to "freeze" the picture-count VR for a stop or two, 4) remember when you are up close outdoors there is a very good chance your shadow is in the way-either move or wait until the sun has moved. Finally enjoy discovering a world of fascinating color and textures surrounding you that you might have escaped your attention before you had this tool to use.

I've attached two pictures to show how the lens handles out of focus areas.

This lens appears on two different Amazon pages with two slightly different descriptions. This review appears also on that other page since it is for the exact same lens. Check both before buying; the best price may be on one page and sometimes on the other.
review image review image
on December 30, 2010
Great specialty lens. Outstanding for portrait and object photography. A little too much telephoto for rapid close quarters when using a DX format camera. If you need distance to your subject but maintain personal contact, it is ideal. The macro capability is very good and extremely useful. A wonderful sharp, very light image maker with features useful to most photographers. The only problem is that the extreme focus capability makes auto focus feature a little slow for some action photography. The auto vibration resistance feature is a good addition for all hand held photography.
on January 4, 2013
I honestly do not understand how anyone can find fault with this lens. I recently purchased it for my Nikon D7000, and it is absolutely amazing (as is the D7000 by the way).

My intention for this lens was macro-photography but, as other reviewers have stated, it works well for portraits and other everyday photographs as well. As an experiment (and I will try to upload the photos) I took a picture of my dogs eye which was so close you can see my hand in the reflection of it, THEN I took a picture from about eight feet away and the photo is still super sharp and amazing.

I love this lens and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in macro-photography or simply wants to take amazing photographs.
on August 26, 2014
This is quite clearly a great lens. I bought it to be used with my D7100. The combination is perfect. The lens is sharp and focuses really quickly. I have not used it a lot since it's a new acquisition, but I have made some images that convinced me this lens is really good. It's not as bright as the 105mm 2.8, but it's also much cheaper. So for the price I was willing to compromise on the stop of light difference. The focal length is very good, so it's not necessary to be too close to the subject. Image quality coming out of this lens is fantastic. I am really happy with this product.
on December 23, 2013
It is a great lens. Took only a few photos with it, but it handles perfectly. As Nikkor lenses always do.
I use it together with the Nikon Close-up kit R1. The only drawback here is that the the object you are photographing is at a rather large distance for macro/close-up and with the flashes mounted on the lens, the light comes from the front, rather than surrounding the object.

The sum of it all? I love it
on December 2, 2015
Perfect on the Nikon D3200.
on October 26, 2012
Do yourself a favor and get this lens. It performs every bit as great as the higher end lenses. This is what we use for our wedding portrait and macro shots at all our weddings we do.
on September 6, 2017
It may have been used and not in its original packaging, but you wouldn't know it from the lens itself. I can't find a single thing wrong with it! Not only is the lens a great macro prime lens, but the condition is fantastic.
on September 3, 2016
Very well made lens as expected from Nikkor. Shipment on schedule and well packaged. I have been using it and it performs quite well. Perfect for nature shots where you can't get too close but want a close up of a single item with booked in the background.
on September 9, 2012
Lens performs very well. I like the length because I can shoot very small items without getting so close to them that I block the light. Focusing is very fast and accurate. I also like that focus can be adjusted manually without changing any settings. Lens is subjectively sharp, haven't run any tests on it. Vibration reduction is useful when at a distance, not so useful when very close.