1) You have to use needle nose pliers to pinch the retainer thing to pull off the connectors. If you don't you'll probably damage the blades/tabs.
2) You can wire the small and large LEDs separately. I wired the small ones +12V to the dash lights dimmer (see video) so they're only on when the dash lights are on and they dim with the dash lights. All the lights are still REALLY BRIGHT, even dimmed.
3) The feel of the tabs and the switches is...definitely in line with the price. There's just a little wiggle and play in everything. They don't feel super sloppy, but if you're building some kind of high-dollar custom car/boat these probably aren't on that level.
4) The metal mounting plate is really beefy.
5) The "Nighlight" logo appears really well printed/lasered on, which is unfortunate. Was hoping to scrape it off for a clean look. Might need to break out a gnarly solvent to get it off.