Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Nine Kinds of Naked
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon August 3, 2015
Tony Vigorito's "Nine Kinds of Naked" has become something of a cult classic. The book is a wonderful roller coaster ride of a literary and philosophical examination of the nature of reality, time, synchronicity, the Butterfly Effect, quantum physics and the wonders of life in New Orleans. Perhaps because of the New Orleans setting, reading this book made me think of "A Confederancy of Dunces," if it had been co-written by Hans Reichenach and Stephen Hawking, with commentary by Woody Allen.

The action toggles between the Middle Ages and present day - although according to the author, there is only one moment in time. This makes for fascinating paradoxes as certain humans and gnomes are able to manipulate time, freezing action. There is much discussion of the Butterfly Effect as it relates to a card-spinning prisoner whose twirling playing card sets in motion vortices that grow into tornadoes and eventually a mysterious Great White Spot - a stationary super-tornado that camps out at the mouth of the Mississippi River in the Gulf of Mexico. This Great White Spot spawns a generation of mystic pilgrims who are drawn to New Orleans to join the underground M2 movement whose motto is "Walk Away."

If your literary tastes lie in the way of comedy mixed with philosophical musing, then you will enjoy the hi-jinks of the menagerie of characters that the author spins into being. Time will stand still for you as you make your way through these chapters.
on March 7, 2016
I read this book as soon as I finished Tony Vigorito's first novel, Just A Couple Of Days, and found it to be just as engaging and thought provoking. I can't remember two books that had me highlighting passages, writing notes in the margin, and making notebook entries of things to look up later as much as I did reading Nine Kinds Of Naked and Days. Vigorito is a whip smart writer who keeps your interest and keeps things interesting, which are not always the same thing. His use of language is top notch and the plots are fantastically enjoyable. On top of that, he's fekin funny!
on July 3, 2009
This is a great book. It is whimsical, mysterious, religious, metaphysical, makes hidden reference to Grateful Dead songs and other pop culture icons. It is merely a fun book.

I was somehow drawn to the one negative reviewer (human nature?). He wrote: "...I was hoping for maybe something humorous or clever or at least interesting. It isn't any of those things..."
That's one opinion. I could not disagree more.

He also wrote "...Nine Kinds is one of those stories that leads you on a journey that has so many side streets you lose track of where you are going..."

OK, I think I understand this. It is a warning to economics majors. If you have trouble following fun and involved storytelling, you might get lost in this book. OTOH, if you have an education that may have included philosophy, history of consciousness, English, music, art, or just about anything creative, you will likely have a wonderful read.

There is no need to tell you what happens, it's fun to read it. After all, it's just a box of rain. Enjoy.
8 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on December 2, 2015
It's hard to describe the mood of this book based on the 6 choices you gave us to pick. I would say all of the above would describe this book.
The characters of this book are endearing and incredibly hooked together...A true story of incredulous love written with a wit of which will be hard to come by ever again. I loves the pace of this book and the creative process in which Vigorito chooses to take us. and does so with accuracy.

on November 6, 2017
Crazy ass novel....A must have for those that love creative dialog and great story telling....
on March 10, 2014
I like this book so much I've gifted copies to my friends. It's silly, spectacular, engaging and thought provoking. Reading it a second time was actually better than the first.
6 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2011
Fans of gnosticism and synchronicity will love the comedic truths and allegories in this book.
Just about every page was a winner for me and I even had a few synchronicities myself while reading it, which made it an even more magickal tale for me.
9 people found this helpful
on January 2, 2017
Vigorito seems ready to take the baton from Tom Robbins. If you're like me a love anything that makes you think, deeply, a must read
on December 19, 2009
If Vigoritorianism were a religion, it might be my chosen religion of the day! And I am far from a religious person! Nine Kinds of Naked is an adventure beneath the shadows of thought where most of us spend the majority, if not all, of our time; a penetration of the truths hiding seemingly secret behind the guy you keep seeing hitchiking down the same road; an exposure of the synchronicity which is ever-present but stifled by the illusion of who think we are; and it is also just an absolute kick in the a** to read! It is refreshing to know that somebody has stepped up to the plate to write like Tom Robbins, besides Christopher Moore (no disrespect to others, most of whom I've probably read). Vigorito easily falls within that class. Few are able to articulate the Known beneath the known, but Vigorito pulls it off spectacularly. You can't do that without having actually Seen something. Vigorito has written a book that should be far more than a cult classic. It should be required reading in the School of Life. In addition to being incredibly insightful, it is also incredibly well written, hilarious, sad, painful, stimulating, scary, mind-bending, and above all, it points to real truth. I read a lot, and this is one of the best books I have read in many years. Thank you, Tony! Write on...
8 people found this helpful
on April 17, 2017
This book was my introduction to Tony Vigorito. The plot was like a dance - I loved it! Highly recommend.