Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5 reviews
on January 17, 2010
I first saw some of Lilli Carre's work on the cover of The Best American Comics 2006 and reading an excerpt of her book Tales of Woodsman Pete within its pages. I went on to read Tales of Woodsman Pete in its entirety and I think it is my favorite of her full length pieces. Last year I read The Lagoon and never shared my thoughts on it because I'm not sure I completely understood it. So I was excited to see what Carre had come up with in Nine Ways to Disappear and I'm pleased to say it's pretty great!

Nine Ways to Disappear is an assortment of long and short stories told frame by frame, some with words others without. I loved that they all carried the theme of disappearing but it completely different ways. One of my favorite stories was Wide Eyes, about a man that ends up hiding between his girlfriend's eyes to get a break from her. I also liked The Pearl, which is about the journey of the pearl and who finds it, takes it, becomes one with it...

Let's talk about the format, the book is a little square that is pretty thick with pages. Because of that and the way it's bound it's pretty hard to keep those tiny little pages open so I had to fight the book to keep it open since I wasn't about to try and crack the spine.

Overall these are some clever little stories with a strangely awesome sense of humor!
on January 1, 2015
This award-worthy book contains iconic and visceral visual stories skillfully, creatively, and memorably created with insight, intelligent humor, absurdity, and pathos. Absolutely wonderful. I love the format and overall design of the book. I have given this book as a special gift many times. I have never had any problem with the binding on any of them. Highly recommend.
on July 18, 2011
I've been wanting to order this book for years now. I finally ordered it and not even halfway through the first story, the pages started falling out. I'm not one to break the bindings on my books so I was shocked that the binding was so poor that the pages started falling out so quickly. Love the stories though. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep the pages in order so I can read it over.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2013
I loved it. The ilustrations are great and I really liked the stories. Also I love the square format. 100% recommended.