Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 316 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 748 reviews
on February 7, 2014
I recommend Ninja Scroll to anyone who loves action-packed, feature length anime movies as well as martial art, samurai, and ninja movies. Yes, it has brief sexual scenes and some graphic violence, but it serves to move the story forward instead of being gratuitous. No, it's not meant for children. The story, pacing, art direction, and narrative are superb and serves as an example of animation as a viable art form. I first rented and then purchased this movie on VHS in the 1990s and I immediately purchased the DVD when I saw the low price of $10.99 on Amazon. I enjoy Ninja Scroll as much now as I did years ago and consider it an essential part of my collection. I highly recommend this movie!!!!
on September 8, 2016
A staple to 90's anime fans. I wished it was a little better but I don't know in what way. The sound is a little wonky on this DVD though.
on October 24, 2014
This is, without a doubt, my all time favorite anime. It is the movie that peaked my interest in anime as a genre and as an artistic medium. It can be a bit of a shock to some people though, especially if the most violent anime you have ever seen is something along the lines of Dragon Ball Z. BE WARNED, THIS IS NOT AN ANIME FOR CHILDREN. I would not recommend this for anyone under the age of 14. This movie contains scenes of graphically brutal violence, and a few sexually explicit ones. Like I said it can be bit of a shock to people who aren't ready for it. In my opinion, any true fan of anime should see this movie at least once. The plot of movie follows a wandering sell-sword ninja name Jubei. Jubei crosses paths with one of the Eight Devils of Kimone, while saving a lone ninja women. He then soon teams up with the ninja women Kagero and Dakuan(a government agent) to destroy the Devils of Kimone. What ensues is a blood bath of action and violence. The animation is awesome and so it the music. The English voice over fits perfectly in my opinion. I have been told that this was one of the first anime movies made were the prime target was the American movie audience. A must see. If this type of anime is your particular cup of tea, then just buy it, you won't be disappointed and you definitely won't watch it just once.
Note: if you are thinking of upgrading to the Blu-ray from the DVD, the picture quality isn't that much better. The sound quality is though. For me the difference was very noticeable. I think that the musical score to this movie is amazing, making it completely worth it for me.
on December 27, 2013
I've been meaning to pick this up for a long time, and I'm glad I waited until the Blu Ray release because it's very nice. The remastering of the art is very clear and the audio definitely sounds a lot better than it did on VHS. The widescreen or lack thereof is a little disappointing but you forget about it a few minutes into the movie. I wish there were some more extras like concept art or interviews with the cast but I know this is an older movie so some of those things probably don't exist anymore.

Ninja Scroll is a classic anime movie, and it holds up very well over these years. The dubbing is quite good despite the age of the film and the film itself is fantastic. The characters are very interesting, the music is fitting and the animation is stunning. This has been one of my favorite movies since I first saw it many years ago. While not for children because it has very adult content, it's still an amazing film that anime fans new and old should definitely check out.
on January 28, 2016
Among one of the best "seinin" (mature) anime ever produced.
+ Slick visual aesthetic.
+ Excellent action.
+ Solid voice acting.
+ A movie you'll want to watch far more than just once!

Note: Despite Ninja Scroll's age (produced in the mid 1990s) and its shoe string budget, it is actually MORE entertaining than many contemporary anime with bigger budgets.
on April 18, 2017
Was expecting to be more clearer and refined being on Blu-ray. But it looked the same as on VHS honestly. But regardless of that the movie is still badass.
on May 9, 2017
I just Loved the movie, now I'll have to give the series a try. I'm sure I will love it as much.
on August 29, 2016
This is movie is a must have in any anime library. Truly for a mature audience based off of the amounts of dismemberments, a few decapitations, adult language/ topics, with a splash of sex and nudity. I would put this move around the same level as the animated Street Fighter movie. Which I need to get also. A classic slasher-esk style anime for the hardcore fans out there. It looked good back then it it still looks just as amazing now!
on April 17, 2017
They don't make them like they used to. This one will go down in the books forever.
on August 12, 2015
i had to give it 5 stars ... it's Ninja Scroll.

That being said it isn't stretched or remastered for 16:9 ... it's the original 4:3 aspect from the original VHS-style. It's still HD, but it's boxed in the middle with the sides being black.

The audio does seem to be re-sampled and you can hear some artifacts in the HD upgrade, but eh ... still the movie you know and love.