Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 498 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 546 reviews
on September 15, 2014
I bought my 3DS because I spend almost three hours every day commuting to my job, taking the bus and the subway, and I'm happy with my decision. I almost bought a 2DS, but ultimately decided to go with this for the bigger screen and I'm very happy I did. The build quality is great, and after using it for several months it still feels as solid as it did on day one. The controls are really nice, but as many other people have said, your hands can start to hurt after a long gaming session. This isn't really a problem for me, as I generally only play for 20 minutes or so at a time. My only complaint is that, with the bigger screen, the image does not look as crisp as most people are probably used to when they play on a smartphone or other handheld console like the Vita. This isn't a huge problem, but the resolution definitely doesn't come close to current standards (but the 3DS is a few years old, so I let this slide).

I find the game selection to be great. During my commute I generally like to play more chill games like Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing, and the 3DS has a lot of these. The battery life is great, and I can usually go for a couple days playing (with the brightness all the way up) before having to charge it. I usually leave the 3D effect turned off, and only use it for certain games. For a lot of games, I find it to be distracting, especially since the viewing angle is extremely limited, plus the battery lasts a lot longer with it turned off. It is still really nice to use sometimes, and I'm glad it's an option.

Overall, I highly recommend it if you're not bothered by the lower screen resolution and aren't looking for a handheld system that has mostly hardcore fighting/shooting games.
on December 29, 2013
I am very happy with my Nintendo 3DS XL so far. I would say that everything about it is great except for these flaws:

The 3D effect is very finicky. You can make it work if you are sitting in one position and are willing to fiddle with the position of the device to get everything to line up just so. Then the magic happens and the 3D works and its great, as long as you don't move. At all. If you reach over to get a snack or a drink or turn your head, once you refocus on the device you'll probably have to reposition again. Fortunately, I have read that very few games actually require the 3D to be on, so when you don't want to fiddle with it, you can just turn it off and get a nice 2D image on the top screen.

While the battery life of the 3DS XL is improved over the original 3DS (despite the larger screens here), I would still love to have more battery life. It's not bad, but as the device ages I know I am going to lose battery capacity, so I would like to have more up front.

While the top screen has been expanded into a wider format, the touch screen has been kept in the original aspect ratio. While this was probably done for backward-compatibility reasons with the DS, it means that some gameplay ideas from the DS don't translate as well to the 3DS. For example, in the Ace Attorney series, you are commonly asked to point to a spot on a map. On the DS versions, the map image would slide from the top screen to the touch screen so that you could tap on it. In the only Ace Attorney game for 3DS, because the top screen is wider than the bottom, this sliding effect is not used, and you have to slide your stylus on the bottom screen to move a cursor on the top screen to where you want to point. This is much less convenient than the system the DS games had, and I assume it was done because of the screen size mismatch on 3DS.

Lastly, sometimes when I insert a DS game into the game slot, the 3DS doesn't seem to recognize it. This is a minor complaint, as ejecting the card and reinserting it has fixed the problem in all cases so far.
on January 25, 2017
-Delivered over a week early
-No scratches or stickers as promised
-Came with charger and stylus as promised

BUT
-Came without an SD card
-Came with previous user's Parental Control Restrictions

Overall I'm happy with the purchase, I would buy from same distributor again. They got it here VERY fast and delivered everything they said they would in the description. It was a little disappointing to find that the 4GB SD card had been removed, but they are only about $1 per GB at most places and it is not necessary unless you plan on taking pictures or customizing your 3DS home settings. My biggest issue was that the system settings had not been reset. I still had the previous user's Parental Control blocking me from using key features of the device, the only way to get it removed was by calling tech support.

I'm subtracting a star because of the whole tech support hassle, and because I feel that they should have included "Does not include SD card" in the description. All that aside this was a REALLY good buy.
on January 16, 2016
Pros: Possibly the best hand held console that Nintendo has made since the GameBoy Color. The battery life is pretty good, the screen is just large enough but doesn't make the console unwieldy, the buttons give some nice feedback, the option to turn the 3D on and off is great, and the selection in games isn't too shabby.

Cons: Left and right bumper buttons are exposed to a degree that, if you're not careful, can break them by jamming them if you drop the system from chest height. The 3D slider can break rather easily, and if you're console is not sill under warranty can be costly to fix. The black color, while slimming, shows scuffs and scratches really easily.
on July 29, 2014
Whether you own a prior DS console or are looking to buy your first, this is it!! 3DS XL is so amazingly awesome! You won't regret this purchase. This handheld is perfect! I was so very attached to my DSi(I didn't think anything could replace it), my husband bought a 3DS, it was just meh, I mean it was kinda cool and all, I wasn't jealous he had it lol and still preferred my DSi. Then my husband bought the LE pikachu 3DS XL, I was blown away, it's so much more than I ever expected. I love everything about it!! I was jealous! I wanted a pikachu LE 3DS XL but got the mario&luigi dream team LE 3DS XL because the pikachu one sold out on release day(at least around us it did). Both versions of the 3DS XL are great! I think they could've put a better pic on the dreamteam console seeing as it was for year of Luigi....like only Luigi(or Luigi in front of Mario, for once) and some green, but that's for a different review. Fantastic buy now matter which 3DS XL you purchase!
on December 2, 2015
I bought this used off of Amazon-- The previous owner who last had it could have packaged it better (it was mailed in a regular brown letter-sized envelope with just bubble-wrap around the 3DS), and it also had some dirt and dust all over the edges of the buttons. Other than that, the 3DS works fine and haven't had any issues with it. 3DS charger that came with it works great and haven't had any problems with it, too. Overall a good bargain for a used 3DS on Amazon.
on October 22, 2015
Arrived earlier than expected, works quickly and efficiently. The larger screen is perfect for this girl with bad eyesight, and I like the use of a stylus on the touch screen. It's a lot heavier and smoother than I expected, so it might be good to get a case for it or something at this point (I'm going to get one myself soon). This is the first handheld console I've bought since the GameBoy Color a long time ago, so I can't speak for the previous DS generations. However based on what I've heard from friends and read in reviews, I believe that the 3ds xl is a much better purchase. I plan to play A LOT of different games on my new console, which I don't think I'd do with the 3ds or the 2ds. I know there's the "new" 3ds xl, but honestly I'm extremely satisfied with the "old" one, for lack of a better word.
on February 5, 2015
I love it! I was looking for a new handheld after my PSP finally died out. I can't believe I waited this long to upgrade. Easy to setup and easy to use, I'm most definitely a happy customer!
review image
on August 5, 2015
Very bright screen..especially at night. 3d increases color depth and the system is easy to pick up. Not easy to hold without hand cramps so but grips and you will be singing with joy for hrs. Best handheld to date with the most fun games! Trust me ps vita is more HD and I bought it 1st..little did I know they would stop making games for it..but this is still quite relevant and fun đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
on June 15, 2015
It took me a long time to save up for this but it was worth it. The screen size is great to optimize the "3D experience" and it just has a nice overall look to the design. I wasn't expecting much from the programs already on the system, but they provided some entertainment until I got my first game. It takes a bit of experimenting to find the right angle for the 3D feature, but it is impressive for the first hand-held console. I hardly use the 3D slider because my eyes are rather awful, but it's great for well designed cut scenes!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.