Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 29, 2013
I am very happy with my Nintendo 3DS XL so far. I would say that everything about it is great except for these flaws:

The 3D effect is very finicky. You can make it work if you are sitting in one position and are willing to fiddle with the position of the device to get everything to line up just so. Then the magic happens and the 3D works and its great, as long as you don't move. At all. If you reach over to get a snack or a drink or turn your head, once you refocus on the device you'll probably have to reposition again. Fortunately, I have read that very few games actually require the 3D to be on, so when you don't want to fiddle with it, you can just turn it off and get a nice 2D image on the top screen.

While the battery life of the 3DS XL is improved over the original 3DS (despite the larger screens here), I would still love to have more battery life. It's not bad, but as the device ages I know I am going to lose battery capacity, so I would like to have more up front.

While the top screen has been expanded into a wider format, the touch screen has been kept in the original aspect ratio. While this was probably done for backward-compatibility reasons with the DS, it means that some gameplay ideas from the DS don't translate as well to the 3DS. For example, in the Ace Attorney series, you are commonly asked to point to a spot on a map. On the DS versions, the map image would slide from the top screen to the touch screen so that you could tap on it. In the only Ace Attorney game for 3DS, because the top screen is wider than the bottom, this sliding effect is not used, and you have to slide your stylus on the bottom screen to move a cursor on the top screen to where you want to point. This is much less convenient than the system the DS games had, and I assume it was done because of the screen size mismatch on 3DS.

Lastly, sometimes when I insert a DS game into the game slot, the 3DS doesn't seem to recognize it. This is a minor complaint, as ejecting the card and reinserting it has fixed the problem in all cases so far.
3 people found this helpful
on January 16, 2016
Pros: Possibly the best hand held console that Nintendo has made since the GameBoy Color. The battery life is pretty good, the screen is just large enough but doesn't make the console unwieldy, the buttons give some nice feedback, the option to turn the 3D on and off is great, and the selection in games isn't too shabby.

Cons: Left and right bumper buttons are exposed to a degree that, if you're not careful, can break them by jamming them if you drop the system from chest height. The 3D slider can break rather easily, and if you're console is not sill under warranty can be costly to fix. The black color, while slimming, shows scuffs and scratches really easily.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Whether you own a prior DS console or are looking to buy your first, this is it!! 3DS XL is so amazingly awesome! You won't regret this purchase. This handheld is perfect! I was so very attached to my DSi(I didn't think anything could replace it), my husband bought a 3DS, it was just meh, I mean it was kinda cool and all, I wasn't jealous he had it lol and still preferred my DSi. Then my husband bought the LE pikachu 3DS XL, I was blown away, it's so much more than I ever expected. I love everything about it!! I was jealous! I wanted a pikachu LE 3DS XL but got the mario&luigi dream team LE 3DS XL because the pikachu one sold out on release day(at least around us it did). Both versions of the 3DS XL are great! I think they could've put a better pic on the dreamteam console seeing as it was for year of Luigi....like only Luigi(or Luigi in front of Mario, for once) and some green, but that's for a different review. Fantastic buy now matter which 3DS XL you purchase!
on February 17, 2015
The 3DS XL is a good system with a lot of potential, and maybe some of that potential will finally be tapped with the release of the New 3DS. As far as hardware goes, this XL version of the 3DS system is most suited to adults with larger hands. It has larger screens and control surfaces, so the system fits comfortably in an adult's hands without forcing fingers to bend in uncomfortable ways. It also feels sturdier and heavier than the original, smaller 3DS. However, its larger size means it is also significantly less portable than its smaller brother. It is pretty much impossible to bring this system on the go without a bag or large pockets, but the larger screens and sturdier system are a worthwhile tradeoff.
on December 2, 2015
I bought this used off of Amazon-- The previous owner who last had it could have packaged it better (it was mailed in a regular brown letter-sized envelope with just bubble-wrap around the 3DS), and it also had some dirt and dust all over the edges of the buttons. Other than that, the 3DS works fine and haven't had any issues with it. 3DS charger that came with it works great and haven't had any problems with it, too. Overall a good bargain for a used 3DS on Amazon.
on August 16, 2014
This console has brought me so much entertainment and fun that I can't believe I took so long in buying it since it came out.

Nintendo has made a good job in releasing so many good games for it. It has the perfect size and a very smart design, though it could have another joystick. It doesn't look ergonomic, but its actually quite comfortable to play with. For hours and hours. The battery could last longer but then I would not have contact with the outer world.

I have to note that this console doesn't feel solid enough and it's kind of fragile. Careful with intense people that tend to clutch things with force while playing. They can easily cause troubleshooting problems to the poor thing.
on June 15, 2015
It took me a long time to save up for this but it was worth it. The screen size is great to optimize the "3D experience" and it just has a nice overall look to the design. I wasn't expecting much from the programs already on the system, but they provided some entertainment until I got my first game. It takes a bit of experimenting to find the right angle for the 3D feature, but it is impressive for the first hand-held console. I hardly use the 3D slider because my eyes are rather awful, but it's great for well designed cut scenes!
on February 18, 2015
My Son likes it but the 3D is the down side, because if you move your head away and look back at the screen you need to find the right place to see the 3D and after a while your head hurts from just trying to lock in the 3D. So I just tell him to take the #d effect off.
2 people found this helpful
on July 9, 2014
This product came new, and i prefer the XL to the regular 3DS... but like other reviews the XL is big, fit my gym and basketball shorts easy and not a problem but its still big, wouldnt fit my jeans... so if a portable gaming device is more what youre looking for then get the regular 3DS... i preview the bigger screen though and this was what i wanted.... The black/black version is plain but i didnt need anything flashy or matching other friends 3DS'.... The feel is fine and no real hand cramps.... I bought this purely for pokemon, but have enjoyed mario cart and all the super mario games really...... would recommend
on August 5, 2015
Very bright screen..especially at night. 3d increases color depth and the system is easy to pick up. Not easy to hold without hand cramps so but grips and you will be singing with joy for hrs. Best handheld to date with the most fun games! Trust me ps vita is more HD and I bought it 1st..little did I know they would stop making games for it..but this is still quite relevant and fun đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.