Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 484 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 528 reviews
on February 26, 2014
I have a few points I'd like to make about this system - as well as some accessories that I purchased - to assist you with your purchasing decisions. I love purchasing items on Amazon because I get to read such excellent product reviews from other customers. Some are overly glowing, some are much too harsh, but with all of the comments you can get a general idea for what you are getting before you buy.

I bought the 3DS XL with Mario & Luigi Dream team built in. There are other bundles to choose from - Mario Kart, Pokemon X&Y, Zelda, others I'm sure - and each has it's own color and art design on the case along with the included game. I purchased the Silver bundle because I wanted the included game and it was not much more expensive than the standard console. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXOP1JI

I promptly upgraded the included 4GB SD card to a 32GB SDHC SD card to increase my 'block' capacity. 32 might be overkill but I would recommend around 16 if you are going to download games. If not, then the included 4GB card should work, but a quick note on this topic: It is much more convenient to purchase and download titles from the Nintendo E-Shop than to purchase an actual game cartridge. All of your games built in versus needing to carry and switch out cartridges that can be lost or destroyed. In fact, you should only purchase cartridges for the following reasons: (1) you might want to resell your games individually at a later date (2) you would like to share the game with someone who also owns a DS console, or (3) you can purchase the cartridge for less than the cost of the game at the E-store. If you see a game for $40, that is likely the e-store price as well.

Regarding games: This is why you would buy this gaming console. Most reviews I saw were parents or grandparents bragging about how well received this was as a christmas gift for a child. As ever, Nintendo has many games that appeal to the young and the old - but I am an adult male, and after playing my niece's console I bought one for myself (I also own a Wii and an XBox 360). I immediately downloaded: Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (the best reviewed game ever, for any gaming platform), Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Gamespot's best game of 2013 winner, again, for any gaming platform), and Super Mario 3D land (excellent reviews, great game). I also own Fire Emblem: Awakening (so far, awesome) and Mario Kart 7 (I love this series). And these very awesome, very well reviewed, and very affordable e-shop titles: Steamworld - Dig, Pushmo, Crashmo and Colors 3D. This is now an epic time killing device that will make cross country flights and train commutes seemingly shorter. Or even better, if you find yourself in a position (as I do) where the television viewing selection in this house is not to my liking, but I don't want to be off by myself being anti-social, I can just sit there and play Pushmo or something. If something comes up, all you have to do is close the system - that's it. No need to pause, or get to a point where you can stop. Just shut it and put it down. Also, strangely, if you leave the system on and walk around with it the built-in pedometer will track your steps and seemingly gives you points(?) for walking.... weird.

Fair warning: the best gift that I ever received in my whole life was an original Nintendo NES for Christmas many, many years ago. We got one way after everyone else we knew in our neighborhood already had one, but since we waited ours came with Mario, Duck Hunt AND Track and Field with the PowerPad! It was so awesome... except for that stupid dog in Duck Hunt. And then we got Dragon Warrior for free included with some Nintendo magazine subscription or something and my bro and I were in heaven. Nothing will ever top getting a toy like that as a kid, so fair warning that I am forever biased towards Nintendo products. But this console encapsulates all of the things that make Nintendo great, and I understand why the children and grandchildren who received one of these from other reviewers as a gift were so freakin excited.
55 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2014
This truly is the complete package. I was originally going to buy a regular 3ds, but seeing how I could get an xl, with an awesome game pre-installed, I decided the small difference in price would be worth it, and it is! The bigger screen makes your gaming experience even better, and mario luigi dream team is really fun! It's great to have a game installed when you get it so you don't have to rush out and buy a game right away.
review image review image
on July 31, 2014
Well made and it looks great! Just as pictured.

Battery only lasts about 3 to 4 hours. Charging takes 3 to 4 hours as well. The 3d display can be taxing on the eyes but it is easily switched to a 2d view at anytime with the slider on the side. The included 4gb sdhc card is most definitly enough space, and easily upgradable to a 16GB sdhc card on there site for $12. I got a a 3rd party 16gb sdhc card and it works perfectly as well. To replace the battery is $13 so you will not have to worry about an expensive battery replacement in the future. The speakers are loud enough, nothing special about them.

The included game and software is amazing and shows a lot of thought. It will take a good hour or two to transfer stuff from your DSi and update your system.

Overall its a great device! I wish the batterry didnt take so long to charge, but the battery is dirt cheap to replace so it is not a problem in my mind. Best portable gaming device ever.
on March 17, 2014
I own the DSi and after a couple years of holding out I finally jumped on the 3DS. Too many great games to hold out any longer. To be honest, I really wanted the Zelda XL. I was really conflicted. However, I don't have a lot of disposable income and logic dictated that I really shouldn't spend nearly the cost of 2 games at retail extra for the Zelda one. I was slightly put out, but that didn't last long. The M&LDT edition is really gorgeous up close and even though Zelda is my favorite franchise, Mario comes in at a close second. Plus, I may not have bought M&LDT on its own, and since having a copy of A Link Between Worlds was a necessity, it was almost like getting a free game. Additionally, the Nintendo Club offer of Pokemon X or Y this month was a nice bonus as I haven't played a Pokemon game in years. The preloaded things look like fun, though I haven't tried them yet. Nintendo enthusiasts, even ones who think they can't get into handhelds, will like find something to love in the 3DS. And I'm really happy I sprang for the XL, as my DSi looks positively puny by comparison.

As an aside, I'm really loving the Bravely Default demo. And I don't really play JRPGs except for a few Final Fantasy titles. Of course, the two are often considered similar in reviews, maybe that's why I find it so entertaining and engaging. Be sure to look into it if Final Fantasy was in any way up your alley. Cheers, and happy gaming!
on June 5, 2014
This thing is really neat. The last handheld system that I bought was the Nintendo DS Lite, and wow have they come a ways since then. The whole 3D thing is neat to be sure, but I almost always have it turned off when I'm using the system because it destroys the battery and hurts my eyes after awhile. The XL screen though, is absolutely stunning. Holding this next to my DS Lite makes me laugh because this screen is nearly twice as big (probably the 90% bigger which is advertised). I have yet to play the pre-installed game, but the artwork on the front is really nice. I got everything I wanted in buying this system, I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2014
I love my new 3DS XL. I wasn't quite sure if I would be happy with a 3DS, but I thought I would give it a try since it would open a whole new library of games for me to try.

The 3DS has a nice feels to it. It's a lot more comfortable than the original DS that I owned. I like the placement of the different controls. All of the keys are very responsive. The touch screen is also accurate and responsive. The 3D effect can be adjusted or turned off completely. My eyes can't get used to the 3D effect, so I keep it off for the most part. I find the 3D works best when I hold is just right, but if I move my face or the DS, I get a weird blurring effect that bothers my eyes. So far, I have found that the 3D effect is more of a gimmick than an essential part of this system.

I am happy with the battery life. With the 3D turned off, it lasts several hours. The screen size is large enough that I can play games even after using a computer at work all day. I had shied away from the original 3DS due to the small screen size.

This system comes pre-loaded with Mario and Luigi Dream Team, which I liked a lot. Dream Team is a casual game that can be saved at any point, so you can play for short bursts. I was surprised to find that it took me 60 hours (according to the game clock) to beat the game. I like to explore everything in games, so this game was perfect and was probably one of the longest games I have played.

Overall, I am very happy I decided to purchase this 3DS XL. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys games. I'm looking forward to checking out more of the 3DS game library.
on March 6, 2014
I always liked Nintendo and its products, but the 3DS was something I never thought I'd buy until I saw a lot of good games being released for it this year. Also, since this bundle, at time of purchase, was even cheaper than the simplest 3DS/3DS XL model available for sale here, it was the best time as ever to buy one.

The box has quite simple arts, but oh boy, when I opened it and saw the 3DS itself, I was honestly astonished. It comes with an aluminium (or so it looks like) front with a Mario and Luigi image nicely drawn in a yellowish gold, while the back of it has the "year of Luigi" engraving. Those subtle touches really makes the portable looks better than the majority of the other limited editions (losing only to Link Between Worlds edition). Apart from that, it includes a 4gb SD card with Mario and Luigi: Dream Team installed on the device, which is (so fast as I played) a nice and fun game.

Now, for the 3DS XL itself, it's way bigger than the normal 3DS by comparison and the screen is really big, making it better for longer gameplay session while it still fits in your pocket without much problems. It's a little heavy for its size, but it comes with a lot of features and software. Some are a one-play novelty, but some social apps like SpotPass and StreetPass are a welcome addition and a nice excuse to go out seeking for people hanging around with their 3DS and be rewarded from that (even in some games). The 3D effect is nicer than I thought, but it's not such a big aspect that would make anyone buy one of these. The touch screen is very responsive, though I still think it's an resistive touch screen. The colors displayed are very vivid and the battery seems to last quite a bit depending on the way you like your screen brightness, but watch out because the 3D effect drains the battery. A lot!

The only real downside I noticed is that the AC adapter provided inside the box ISN'T bivolt (just 110V), which is a shame and made me bought another adapter for it. Other than that, if you're really thinking of buying one because of the games or simply because some of your friends have it, you won't be dissapointed.
on July 6, 2014
Everything works fine, my only complain was the quality. It's not like old gameboys that you can feel the "hardness". You have to take care of them like it was your smart phone or something like that. I recommend the first before you turn on the device, buy a screen protector. Both screens are very susceptible to scratches. I Highly recommend one of those hori screen protectors. They don't contain glue and also those are easy to put in.

*The design is great, I love the color and the detail that it have.

*The device comes with a 4GB SD card (class 4) to put games, something that i found great for demos, pictures and everything else. the video game it's inside. (Of the SD card)

What else to say, Mario & Luigi Dream Team is a good video game, very good graphics effects and can tied you for hours. (If you likes RPGS)

About the battery for me is good. (I was used to play on smarthphones but now that is over) with this device you can play more or less like 4-5 hours. (that depends if you have the 3D on or off)

Worth to buy? YES, Pokemon is a jewel (I'm old school pokemon player), also mario games. You can have a lot of fun with them. The console doesn't have the best graphics but you can have a good time with your friends or alone.
on March 16, 2014
If you don't own a Nintendo 3DS or considering upgrading to a 3DS XL consider long and hard before you decide NOT to get this unit. I personally purchased this as a collector's item. It represents the 30 year Anniversary of Luigi's debut (and celebrated as the Year of Luigi from March 2013 - March 2014). It's definitely represents a milestone in Nintendo history. It's the first silver from 3DS to hit stateside which definitely make this a unique version. The images on the front and rear, they are as permanent as the text/images on the bottom of any 3DS so it won't just rub off with normal use (some of my friends have asked me about this so I figured I would let everyone who reads this know).

Right now (3/2014) this is still a great value since it's basically the same price as a regular 3DS XL plus it has a game included (which retails for about $30. But, once the inventory is gone for this the price will go up - maybe not as much as the Zelda or Pikachu special editions. Regardless, this is a great deal for a limited edition version. If you are in the market for a 3DS XL, this is an incredible value or if you are looking for a good time to get a limited edition 3DS XL then quit reading and press the buy button now while you can!
on April 10, 2014
The Nintendo 3DS XL on its own is a great portable gaming console for any type of player. Young or Old. Casual or Hardcore. The Nintendo 3DS Library of New and Classic games caters to all. The screen size is amazing. Battery lasts great. If the size is still putting you on the fence I am confident enough in saying get EITHER Nintendo 3DS or 3DS XL. Great device.
The reason why I consider it the best deal is due yo the fact that a plain Nintendo 3DS XL is usually $199.99 with a 2GB SD card. With this bundle you pay $10 less and you get a FREE Pre-installed 3DS title (which is an amazing game and is usually worth anywhere from $25-$40) and you get a 4GB SD card with a Nice Mario and Luigi design. Even the box it comes in is beautiful lol
If you don't mind the Design take advantage of the deal. If you love Mario and Luigi than you should've already paid for it. Mind you the free game is off of the Mario and Luigi RPG style game and not the traditional. Thought I should note that. Other than that this Bundle is great and the game is amazing. Totally worth it and a MUST buy for any gamer.