Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nintendo 3DS XL, Silver - Mario & Luigi Dream team Limited Edition
Workplace Solutions Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon Baby Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 475 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on February 26, 2014
I have a few points I'd like to make about this system - as well as some accessories that I purchased - to assist you with your purchasing decisions. I love purchasing items on Amazon because I get to read such excellent product reviews from other customers. Some are overly glowing, some are much too harsh, but with all of the comments you can get a general idea for what you are getting before you buy.

I bought the 3DS XL with Mario & Luigi Dream team built in. There are other bundles to choose from - Mario Kart, Pokemon X&Y, Zelda, others I'm sure - and each has it's own color and art design on the case along with the included game. I purchased the Silver bundle because I wanted the included game and it was not much more expensive than the standard console. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXOP1JI

I promptly upgraded the included 4GB SD card to a 32GB SDHC SD card to increase my 'block' capacity. 32 might be overkill but I would recommend around 16 if you are going to download games. If not, then the included 4GB card should work, but a quick note on this topic: It is much more convenient to purchase and download titles from the Nintendo E-Shop than to purchase an actual game cartridge. All of your games built in versus needing to carry and switch out cartridges that can be lost or destroyed. In fact, you should only purchase cartridges for the following reasons: (1) you might want to resell your games individually at a later date (2) you would like to share the game with someone who also owns a DS console, or (3) you can purchase the cartridge for less than the cost of the game at the E-store. If you see a game for $40, that is likely the e-store price as well.

Regarding games: This is why you would buy this gaming console. Most reviews I saw were parents or grandparents bragging about how well received this was as a christmas gift for a child. As ever, Nintendo has many games that appeal to the young and the old - but I am an adult male, and after playing my niece's console I bought one for myself (I also own a Wii and an XBox 360). I immediately downloaded: Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (the best reviewed game ever, for any gaming platform), Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Gamespot's best game of 2013 winner, again, for any gaming platform), and Super Mario 3D land (excellent reviews, great game). I also own Fire Emblem: Awakening (so far, awesome) and Mario Kart 7 (I love this series). And these very awesome, very well reviewed, and very affordable e-shop titles: Steamworld - Dig, Pushmo, Crashmo and Colors 3D. This is now an epic time killing device that will make cross country flights and train commutes seemingly shorter. Or even better, if you find yourself in a position (as I do) where the television viewing selection in this house is not to my liking, but I don't want to be off by myself being anti-social, I can just sit there and play Pushmo or something. If something comes up, all you have to do is close the system - that's it. No need to pause, or get to a point where you can stop. Just shut it and put it down. Also, strangely, if you leave the system on and walk around with it the built-in pedometer will track your steps and seemingly gives you points(?) for walking.... weird.

Fair warning: the best gift that I ever received in my whole life was an original Nintendo NES for Christmas many, many years ago. We got one way after everyone else we knew in our neighborhood already had one, but since we waited ours came with Mario, Duck Hunt AND Track and Field with the PowerPad! It was so awesome... except for that stupid dog in Duck Hunt. And then we got Dragon Warrior for free included with some Nintendo magazine subscription or something and my bro and I were in heaven. Nothing will ever top getting a toy like that as a kid, so fair warning that I am forever biased towards Nintendo products. But this console encapsulates all of the things that make Nintendo great, and I understand why the children and grandchildren who received one of these from other reviewers as a gift were so freakin excited.
55 comments| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2014
This truly is the complete package. I was originally going to buy a regular 3ds, but seeing how I could get an xl, with an awesome game pre-installed, I decided the small difference in price would be worth it, and it is! The bigger screen makes your gaming experience even better, and mario luigi dream team is really fun! It's great to have a game installed when you get it so you don't have to rush out and buy a game right away.
review image review image
on December 29, 2013
Over all the Mario & Luigi Limited Edition 3DS system is a great value for your buck. It comes with Mario & Luigi Dream Team pre-installed, a 4 GB memory card, 512 MB system memory, a 90 percent larger screen and some AR cards. The AR cards are augmented reality cards. Basically they are just demos of what developers can do with this technology. When you focus the 3DS at one of these cards a 3D character pops off the card, and you can play a few mini games with each card. The games are very basic, and again it's really just a demo of the technology.
on February 27, 2014
I had been looking into getting a 3ds for awhile now, and decided that this was the one to get based on the cost and what it came with. The larger screens are great, and I feel that the XL fits my hands better than the normal 3ds.
on July 31, 2014
Well made and it looks great! Just as pictured.

Battery only lasts about 3 to 4 hours. Charging takes 3 to 4 hours as well. The 3d display can be taxing on the eyes but it is easily switched to a 2d view at anytime with the slider on the side. The included 4gb sdhc card is most definitly enough space, and easily upgradable to a 16GB sdhc card on there site for $12. I got a a 3rd party 16gb sdhc card and it works perfectly as well. To replace the battery is $13 so you will not have to worry about an expensive battery replacement in the future. The speakers are loud enough, nothing special about them.

The included game and software is amazing and shows a lot of thought. It will take a good hour or two to transfer stuff from your DSi and update your system.

Overall its a great device! I wish the batterry didnt take so long to charge, but the battery is dirt cheap to replace so it is not a problem in my mind. Best portable gaming device ever.
on February 27, 2016
Bought this for my SO, and she loved it. Helped that it was a limited edition Mario design, but she's quite happy with it. She's also dropped it before a few times and washed it by accident ... Thankfully it's still in one piece and works as if nothing ever happened to it.

I don't suggest dropping or washing yours though, not at all.
on September 7, 2015
I bought this for my son about a year ago and it has help up wonderfully . My son loves it and it works like a charm. We did have a little trouble trying to purchase games using my internet connection at home. I think it's a safety issue and my ISP was blocking the connection that it needed to download the game. In the end we needed to connect the game's internet to my iPhone whenever we buy a new game directly from Nintendo through the game. I have to do the same thing in order to download any updates. I don't think that's a problem with the unit. I think it just a safety feature through my ISP but nothing more. Overall, it's a great game and my son still loves it.
on June 5, 2014
This thing is really neat. The last handheld system that I bought was the Nintendo DS Lite, and wow have they come a ways since then. The whole 3D thing is neat to be sure, but I almost always have it turned off when I'm using the system because it destroys the battery and hurts my eyes after awhile. The XL screen though, is absolutely stunning. Holding this next to my DS Lite makes me laugh because this screen is nearly twice as big (probably the 90% bigger which is advertised). I have yet to play the pre-installed game, but the artwork on the front is really nice. I got everything I wanted in buying this system, I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about buying one.
on September 15, 2016
This was a great ds. It is 3ds and is an xl. It is also a limited edition. There is a preloaded mario game on it, however you do need an Internet connection to download it before you can play the game. It also has a slot for other games. The 3d is an option. Also has a headphone jack. The charging port didn't hold up very well. My husband fixed it and it broke again and this time it isn't fixable. So now we are getting a new one. Be very careful when you charge these! Don't pull to hard on the charging cord while in the port!
on June 6, 2014
I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

This Bundle: $180 + Mario & Luigi: Dream Team FREE

Regular 3DS XL: $180 + M&L: Dream Team: $39.99 = $219.99

Savings with this bundle: $40

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.