Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 604 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 772 reviews
on May 29, 2013
I had this product for about a week now as well as a DS lite to compare.

Build Quality:
The plastic its made out of feels a bit cheaper. I have only used a DS lite before which I think felt more sturdy. The buttons just dont feel as crisp and the volume and 3D sliders are really loose and can easily be hit and changed on accident. Also the hinge while opening the screen seems a bit loose as well.

Game Play:
The size of the 3DS is basically the same size as the DS lite. For anyone with normal size adult hands, playing any type of game where you need to be quick can be a challenge with the smaller size. The buttons are quite close together sometimes making it difficult to press the button you want. The added feature of the analog stick is very nice and feels great. The home button was a nice feature to suspend the game and be able to check a message or change the brightness without having to leave the game. This definitely helps when you are not at a save point.

Download play:
This was something that was featured in the previous versions of DS but still have to say that it is an awesome feature sometimes only requiring 1 cartridge to play a game. The downside of the 1 cartridge download play is that the features are usually limited. More features are available for both players who have the game.

3D:
I am quite impressed with the 3D without glasses. I thought I had seen an earlier version of it and was not impressed. What makes it good is that you can adjust your viewing distance as well as a 3D slider which is not found in other 3D applications. Nintendo did good work here. But with that said, I can only play it for about an hour before getting fatigued and possibly a headache. The best part here is that you can turn the 3D all the way off and not even tell that it is any different from a regular screen. One pro or con (depends on how you look at it) is that when the 3D is on, you need to pretty much be looking at the screen straight on. Otherwise you will either not see the 3D or the screen will all together be blurry. Also to note, 3D is not meant for children under 7 as a warning by Nintendo. It may permanently damage their vision.

Camera (3D):
The camera quality reminds me of cell phones when they first had cameras. The quality is low and I wouldn't ever consider using it. I would always use my iPhone camera over this. The pictures/video it takes in 3D are much harder to see and doesn't get any better adjusting your viewing distance and the 3D slider. I am assuming it would have been better if the two cameras were placed further apart, closely matching the average human eye separation.

Battery:
The battery is said to last about 3-8 hours. That is a pretty large gap. I have found it to last about 4-5 hours depending on what I'm doing. If left in sleep mode, the battery will die surprisingly fast, 3 days about (or maybe I have a defective 3DS). The good part is that there are many options out there. Battery packs or USB chargers can be used to extend the fun time.

Game selection:
One thing that makes a gaming system is of course the games. The 3DS has been out for a couple of years now and really only has a handful of good titles worth playing. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart 7, Luigis Mansion to name a few. Hopefully there are more noteworthy games that come out before the next DS type system comes out.

Conclusion:
In all, the 3DS is a very affordable and entertaining system that is simple to use for the kids but has lots of games enjoyable by adults. I highly recommend this system for those on a budget or with kids to keep them (or yourself) busy on a long flight or car ride.
on September 28, 2016
Bought one for an extended two month work trip across multiple countries/states. This was an entertainment lifesaver. Obviously it's dependent upon what game you get, but as far as the device itself goes, it's excellent.

First of all, it's still fairly small. I expected it to be larger (I think I've seen too much of the DS XL), but it fit comfortably in my hands and folded could go conveniently into a pants pocket or small external bag pocket. Video and sound quality were good and despite being small the screen is very decently sized. I often opted not to use the 3D feature, in order to conserve battery, but I feel like this isn't really a significant loss. The screen is crisp and games still look good in 2D. Battery life was respectable, and paired with a (3rd party - NOT STANDARD SO BE WARNED) USB Charge Cable for Nintendo 3DS, you can charge it on a plane or a car.

My only real complaint is that the stylus holder is sort of inconveniently located behind the screen. It's not always convenient to hold if your game needs it only some of the time, but it's annoying to take out/put back all the time. I assume this was the only place Nintendo could fit the stylus, and honestly it's not that big a deal. Certainly not worth losing a star.
on November 20, 2016
The 3DS is an amazing piece of gaming hardware. The 3d doesn't quite work for me on this model, but does on the XL. The 3ds is fluid and responsive, along with a massive library of amazing 1st party games it is certainly the best handheld out there.
The 3DS also allows access to the Nintendo eShop which has a huge library of 3rd party and indie games that you can't find elsewhere.
This is a great device for the hardcore gamer (Xenoblade) or the casual player (Pokemon Shuffle) and everywhere in between.
Nintendo has a long history of the best gaming platforms and games in the world, and this is no disappointment.
on October 12, 2016
Awesome 3-D Effects. Key features include:
Nintendo 3DS offers a new way to play, 3D without the need for special glasses. The 3D Depth Slider lets your determine how much 3D you want to see.
• Play 3D games and take 3D pictures with Nintendo 3DS. One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element.
• Connect to a deeper wireless experience with SpotPass and StreetPass, giving you more exclusive content and connecting you with other Nintendo 3DS users
• Complete with an adjustable stylus, 6 AR cards, and fun built-in software such as Face Raiders, Nintendo 3DS Sound, and the Mii Maker application
• Use Parental Controls to restrict 3D mode for children 6 and under
on May 20, 2013
I just love this thing. But in reality, I loved all my consoles/handhelds. I am no hater or a fanboy, so this is more of a open-minded review :D

The 3D is not recommended for kids, it can hurt their eyes. I'm almost 20 and it makes my eyes feel funny if I leave it on too long, but it's good in some cases, I never play with it on though.

This has wi-fi, so you can have friends and use the internet and e-shop. Tons of little gadgets here n there. The game library isn't too bad too, if you like Japanese games. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, for example. And of course the Nintendo staple of Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario games.

By some or maybe many people, gamers and non-gamers, it is seen as a child's toy. But I assure you it's not just pokemon and cooking mama, there are some mature titles. The graphics are probably equal to PSP's graphics, somewhat. Really nice, but you can see the difference too.

Well yeah, that's about it. Tons of other reviews if you need more reading :P Works great, arrived early, no problems with amazon. Only problem I'd say is that it doesn't have a 2nd analog, but that can be fixed with Circle pad pro, but still.. that's kinda expensive where I am. Oh, and from switching to DS, if you want to press start, don't accidentally turn off your 3DS, I did that once. The off button is where start was on the DS.
on June 11, 2013
The 3DS has a great lineup of games, particularly in the RPG area. It is backwards compatible with DS games if you are worried about that as well. Games I'd recommend starting out with; Fire emblem, Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 3D land.

So if you are concerned that your adult hands may be too large for the 3DS when you are deciding between this or the 3DS-XL I would definitely say go for the XL. I don't have particularly large hands for a 25 year old male, but I find my hands a little cramped playing it (although you CAN buy one of those handles for it.) The screen is very small as well, so if these are factors for you, consider looking at the 3DS-XL

The 3D's addition to it's games is highly dependent on the game itself. Fire Emblem does a great job at this especially in the cinematics, however long gaming sessions can cause your eyes to strain over time and many people find themselves turning this feature off.

The Gyroscope works extremely well and is awesome in the Orcarina of Time, but if you have the 3D on it will cause you to move the 3DS out of the "sweet spot" and cause it to slightly blur and double vision.
on September 17, 2015
The build quality on this one is just subpar. If you are buying this for your kid, don't. Get a 2DS instead.
If you are a dedicated player and are just getting a 3DS system for the first time, don't get this. Get a New 3DS XL or the 3DS XL.
The buttons on this one just don't feel as good.
on November 22, 2016
Worked perfectly fine for the first few months. Whether it was my fault or the product's, after a while a large chunk of the pixels on the top screen blacked out, leaving me with a $100 paperweight. It isn't covered under my warranty so I'll have to buy another.
review image
on July 28, 2016
I still have this, I keep it by my bed and take it with my everywhere I go. I logged in a lot of hours playing games like Pokemon, Fire Emblem Awakening, YU-GI-OH!, Harvest Moon A New Beginning, and all the DS Games I still own and hold dear to my heart. I once dropped it in water by accident (there was some flooding) and I feared I would have to get a new one, but the insides dried out and it worked perfectly. Mind you, I've had my 3DS for years and this happened sometime near the end of last year, but I'm grateful I can still play it. I implore you to set up an internet connection for it so that you can enjoy online features as well, not just the offline.
on March 27, 2011
I received my 3ds on March 29, 2011. Since then I have been playing it every day, and I love it!

Pros:

3d GRAPHICS:

The graphics are totally WOW! I love how the images just seem to "pop" out of the background. In Nintendogs 3ds, it seems like you are actually looking at a real puppy/kitten behind a glass window (the screen). I can't believe how real the graphics look, and how much beauty it adds to the games. In Legend of Zelda: OOT 3ds, the landscape looks so awesome I can't believe it's not real. You really have to see it for yourself, but when you do, it will literally blow you away.

MOTION CONTROL:

The motion controls, Gyroscope, is one of the nicest things, other than the 3d, that the systems has. I love how you can quickly aim at the enemy ships in Steeldiver, or even aim at objects/enemies in Legend of Zelda: OOT without having to fool around with the control stick. The system even counts the number of steps you take while it's in sleep mode in your pocket or bag. Every 100 steps you take earns you one play coin in the system. You can earn up to 10 per day, and use them in Streetpass Mii Plaza or even the amazing AR Games, in where you use an AR card which comes with the system to project gameplay onto your table, hand, etc.

STREETPASS/SPOTPASS:

With streetpass, you can unlock certain things in select 3ds titles, just by passing another 3ds owner with streetpass enabled and wireless turned on. For example, in Streetpass mii Plaza, which is preloaded on the 3ds system, you can either collect puzzle pieces in Puzzle Swap or even battle your way through a dungeon to recuse your mii, in Find mii. Also in Nintendogs (3ds version), you can meet other 3ds owners virtual puppy/kitten and exchange gifts just by passing them. This adds a lot of fun to these titles. With spotpass, you can receive content from Nintendo via an internet connection.

Cons:

BATTERY LIFE:

The battery life seems to be lacking. If you play it in full 3d mode for awhile, it seems to drain the battery fast. However, I have been able to get about 2 - 3 hours out of it with a full charge with lowered brightness settings. It depends on what game you are playing and what settings you are using at the time.

LIMITED 3D VIEWING RANGE:

I have found out that if you have the 3d turned on and have the 3ds either on an angle, or if you are moving it around a lot, the image seems to blur. I recommend holding the 3ds right at eye level, or turning the 3d temporary off if you are experiencing that using motion controls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I love my Nintendo 3ds system! I give it ***** stars, and am proud to say this is the best Nintendo System I ever played! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great innovative system that is hard to put down. I absolutely can't wait for Super Mario 3ds, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 3ds, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc. to come out for this awesome handheld! You won't be disappointed, I know I most certainly wasn't. The best buy I ever made on a gaming system yet, it is definitely worth the 250 price tag!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.