Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,888 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,846 reviews
on January 26, 2017
Previously when reviewing this product I stated that the screen had scratches.

They seller then contacted me and suggested that the screen protecter was scratched while the screen was actually fine. Upon further inspection I realized that the plastic coating on the screen (the thing that you always peel off on new screens) had scratches.

The actual screen itself was in perfect mint condition. I apologize for my poor review. This is an excellent product and excellent seller.

As you can see the screen is so perfect that it's reflecting the background like a mirror.
review image
on September 6, 2015
I've had this for a while but it finally succumbed to the dreaded n1 transistor failure. So instead of trying to solder a new one I decided to just get a new DS... another DS Lite. That's right I could have gotten a 3DS or 2DS but instead I decided to get a handheld from 10 years ago. This thing is just so solid and reliable. I didn't really any of the extra bells and whistles and I still like to play the occasional GBA game (can't do that with a 3DS).
on May 12, 2017
This game system is very good. The seller took good care of this DS. Although, it's an older model, the item was like new. Very happy with my item.
on January 15, 2013
These little portable game consoles are great for taking on the go. If you are going some place you know there is likely to be a wait, take one of these. The doctor's office, the dentist, a night time road trip, whatever. Kids love playing the games, and unlike the competing brands of hand held game consoles, Nintendo appears focused on family friendly titles. Not only that, but the little units are rugged. The clam shell design protects the screens when the unit is flung to the floor on in the door of the truck. Other brand(s) that I own have the "candybar" design, and the screen is very prone to scratching. Also, the battery life on these little things are great. Kids leave these things in the truck for what seems like weeks, and they just keep picking them up and playing them. Only have to charge the batteries every once in a while, which we do over night when the units aren't in use anyway. Even though these are no longer the newest units on the block, they are still very popular and fun, and what's more is they are much less expensive than they used to be. An all around winner. Would I recommend one? Yes, everyone in our family has one, and most of our friends have them too.
on June 19, 2017
Bought this for my oldest daughter's 6th birthday back in 2009. She still has it to this day and now lets her little sister use it since she has a 3ds XL too. Still in excellent working condition after almost 8 years. When my youngest daughter turned 6 she wanted a 3DS XL like her sister has now. I gave her the DS Lite and told her if she could prove she can take could care of this one I would upgrade her to the 3DS XL. It's a great handheld gaming system to start the little ones with before splurging on the bigger and pricier 3DS XL.
on March 15, 2011
The Nintendo DS. What more could one say? I'm going to try and rate this as objectively as possible. First off, this is by no means an adult gaming device. Anyone who is upset because it does not have TV out HD capabilities is playing with the wrong toy. You have to look at this product as it were geared towards children and the younger crowd. Many adults who purchase the DS feel that they have been ripped off. Well that's just the thing. Like I said, one has to see this as a youth oriented device.

Anyways, now that we've cleared that up let talk about the DS itself.

Graphics
Game play
Price
Feature set.

Graphics: Not great and it definitely would not be able to compete with the PSP, but If I remember correctly Edge magazine's top 100 games off all time features more games from the 2D era than anything else. Actually, out of the top ten 4 were 2 dimensional and the number 3 and 1 spot went to Mario 64 and Ocarina of time. Both these games were some of the first in the 3D world. So looking at it from that perspective, I'd say that graphics are outweighed by game play presentation and storyline. Plus new Super Mario bros is just plain goodness in a cartridge.

Gameplay: Lets talk about Mario 64... The original Mario 64 relied heavily on the N64's analog joystick, so Mario 64 DS gives you a few different control options that attempt to emulate the control in different ways. By default, the game is configured to let you play without using the system's touch screen. The D pad is used for movement, and the buttons are used for jumping, ducking, attacking, and running. While you can also use the touch screen for running, the other two control modes are somewhat better suited for use with the touch screen, letting you shuffle the buttons around a bit to give you more control over your character. I think the methods incorporated for movement in this game are superb and could not have been mapped much better. This seems to go for all games. Most games that require the use of the touchpad and stylist are focus more on tactical elements rather than speed, which results in a more enjoyable game experience if you're not too quick with the stick. One issue I did encounter was after the touch screen got a bit scratched up it was not as sensitive. Plus those little stylists are so easy to loose.

Price: Can't beat it. Can be found for under 100 dollars if you shop around. You're not going to find a cheaper way to entertain yourself on the go. The games are not too expensive either. Although, 30 bucks is pretty steep for anyone under 12.

Feature set: I'd say for something as simple as a "Gameboy" it has a lot to offer. It has Wifi which can be a lot of fun with friends. Try playing Mario kart with 7 other people on their DS's and you'll know what I mean.
Also the chat feature is neat if you have friends that have DS's as well.
And a big bonus is the backwards compatibility with GBA games. There is a little cartridge spot to put old games in. Some of my favorite Mario games are still playable on the go cause of this.

Other than that there are not a lot of features. But I wouldn't expect it to. Like I said before, If you're looking for a portable media center this is not it. The DS is a fun handheld (strictly related to gaming) that can keep you entertained for hours on end.
on November 17, 2016
I got the one I ordered today. Its a Christmas gift for my 11 yr. Old son.
It looked just as described, black & cobalt blue. I actually can not find one scratch or dent on it anywhere at all. It looks to be in like new condition.
It came with a stylus and charger.
Turned it on, inserted a game and started it up, changed personalizations for my son, everything works great.
Looks to be a great gift for the price!
on June 21, 2017
Needless to say, I am incredibly disappointed with what was shipped to me. It arrived with a serious crack along the side, which I considered only a minor thing when not taken into consideration with the other problems. The down button rarely works (I only started using it today-the day it shipped), and after playing a total of 2 hours, the touch screen has a flashing black line through the middle. At first I thought it was a glitch in the game, but I checked on the main screen of the DS and the black flashing line continues. It is somewhat pathetic that my little sister's DS (which has been used for roughly 6 years) runs better than this DS which was considered fairly new and not used.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
I ordered a Nintendo DS for my son's 6th birthday. He is autistic; so, we were a little unsure as to how well he would do w/ a Nintendo DS and if we could find games geared to his age level and development. It has quickly become his prize possession. There are some games easier than others; but, the set up of the Nintendo DS is easy to learn. It's a great little handheld game that is great for all ages (Just order the games to your desired age level and interest). We have found several educational games that are also made for Nintendo DS units that is helping my son learn in a format that captivates his attention ... which this mom LOVES! I have even caught my husband playing ... when my son isn't looking. Overall, it has been a great investment.

We purchased our Nintendo DS (crimson because my son's favorite color is red ... he's a little obsessed w/ the color red) from TronicsDiscount and have had the absolute BEST service. They promptly shipped the DS as soon as I placed the order. We did have a problem w/ the touch screen at one point. Since it was under warranty I emailed TronicsDiscount. They immediately responded (the same day!) w/ a claim number and complete instructions on how to return for service. Service was completed quickly and promptly returned. Which was great when you have an impatient 6 year old that doesn't understand having to wait for repair. We could not possibly be more satisfied w/ the service we have received.

I order a lot of stuff online; and, this seller has been, by far, the very best, not to mention easiest, to deal w/. If you need any type of electronics, check out TronicsDiscount first. You will NOT be disappointed. If you do have any type of issue, they will promptly and professionally handle the situation to the customer's satisfaction. Thanks TronicsDiscount!
on May 18, 2017
Met all expectations this detail is very nice in an age of wasteful packaging the top quality i don't like it Very simple and useful. Buy another product

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.