Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Nintendo DSi - Matte Black
Color: Matte Black|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$239.99+ Free shipping

on May 11, 2015
Overall, I really like the DSi and think it is a huge improvement over the DS & DS Lite, however, I wish they had released the device with more games and applications that take into account the new camera system. We also own a DS Lite and my kids are playing with the new version more than they ever did with the older version.

First, the device feels great to hold. I bought the black version and the brushed surface gives the DSi a textured feel that is very comfortable to hold and makes you feel confident you won't drop it.

Setup could not have been easier. The DSi connected with my wireless network on the first try, upgraded the software with no problems, and then downloaded the Opera browser and the WarioWare Snapped game immediately. No problems using my 1 GB SD card (I will be installing a larger SD card soon).

The screen on the DSi is .25 inches bigger than the DS lite. Overall the colors on the screen seem a bit crisper to me and "pop" a little more on the DSi.

The Opera Browser works great, though the screen is pretty cramped and they don't appear to have released a flash player for it yet, so forget streaming YouTube or similar video at this time. The Wii also did not have the Flash Player when it was released, so we can hope that flash will be arriving soon for the DSi as it did for the Wii.

I only wish they had released the game with more titles that take advantage of the camera system. The WarioWare: Snapped is a nice game, but a bit cantankerous. Make certain you use it against a high contrast wall. It's a simple game, but entertaining. Still, I would have hoped for a couple more games that used the camera system to better effect. Hopefully soon.

The applications for the camera and the recording applications are great fun and my son is having a great time playing with them. Still, I wish they had released the device with more overlays and templates; I am guessing more will released in the near future. Nevertheless, my kids really like playing with the sound and video gadgets and have had a great time with them...need to remember to get them headphones... ;-)

So, overall, I highly recommend this game system, but advise patience while Nintendo releases more games and applications for it. There are still plenty of DS Lites on the shelves, but I'd advise getting this system unless you really want to be able to play your older GBA titles which do not play on the new system.

I also highly recommend getting the Dsi Nerf Armor - Blue/Black to protect the system. Works great if you can find it, otherwise try Nintendo DSi Thrustmaster Metal Case-Ocean Blue which fits nicely, but is PLASTIC not metal as advertised.

Week of 13 April Update: Nintendo released two more titles to the DSi shop that are available for download. Have to admit some disappointment so far in this aspect of the game system. So far, nothing available that evokes much excitement. Still, I'm optimistic that the game titles will follow soon.
on December 8, 2015
This console exceeded my expectations. I went ahead and decided to get the DSi version for the added functionality of wifi access. The battery life is very good and the functionality of the device outside of just playing video games is excellent. My son loves taking pictures, doing activities, and utilizing many of the other features of the device outside of just gaming. I would highly recommend this product.
on July 20, 2010
I used to be a really avid gamer, but i started enjoying them less and less and less after the PS2 came out. I got maybe five games for that, and i liked them, but then i began to find my interest seriously waning, especially with the new emphasis on what i consider 'Xbox'-y games (i.e. shooting things and driving cars). So i really had not played much of anything video-game-wise after maybe 2003.

However, i recently had a renewed interest in Pokémon and a few other game series that i knew had been released on the DS, so, after playing around with a friend's DS Lite and another friend's original DS, i decided to buy a DSi. I'm really glad that i did, because i don't think i would have ever progressed past my 2003 mind set if i hadn't.

Not only have i enjoyed several remakes of games i'd already played, like Pokémon SoulSilver and Final Fantasy IV, but i've been surprised by the huge library of original non-remake games out for the DS that i'm actually interested in. This is in contrast to the PSP, which seems technically superior in several ways, but has an incredibly mediocre selection of games. Out of the entire international library there are only maybe three or four PSP games i could ever be bothered to play, whereas with the DS i've literally got dozens queued up for playing as soon as i finish the ones i'm on.

Anyway, regarding the console itself:

PROS

- The touch screen is much nicer than it might seem. I initially thought it was a gimmick, but after using it i've come to appreciate it. It's especially nice when you're feeling lazy, since you can control many games at your own leisure with just one hand.

- The screen quality and brightness is great, and the brightness can be controlled via hardware at any time, unlike on the older releases. The screen is larger than the ones on the DS and DS Lite, which is over-all a good thing (but see below for one down-side).

- Although i don't personally use it, it's nice to know that i have an entire library of downloadable content available through the DSi store thing. It also has a browser that's pretty OK in a bind.

- Sound quality seems good, although i think i liked the DS Lite's might be a little better (?).

- I like the LED indicators on the DSi more than the DS or DS Lite. Not only do they look nice, but they're more informative. You no longer get your battery indicator taken over by the WiFi activity light when you're playing over wireless.

- Battery life is good, although i've heard it's slightly worse than the DS Lite's.

- Non-DSi-exclusive games (which is nearly all of them) have no region locking, so playing imports from any region is super easy.

- Again, the game library is great and if i had to pick one top 'feature' of the DSi it would be this.

CONS

- The DSi has no Slot 2, which means you can NOT play Game Boy Advance games on it. I personally don't have a problem with this, since i didn't like very many GBA games, but it could be a deal-breaker for some.

- It is not as ergonomic as the PSP. It's basically just a box, there are no grips or curves or anything. Also, the button placement is a little weird. I don't have large hands, but even i feel slightly cramped when using it. It's almost like it would be better if the buttons were up where the speaker grilles are. If you do have big hands you might want to get the XL.

- I hate the included stylus. I've always hated all of the DS styluses. They're too short and skinny and the little top thing digs into my hand constantly when i'm using it. I purchased my own third-party PDA styluses instead.

- Although the screen quality is great, and 99% of games look fabulous on the enlarged displays, there are a few minor issues. You can expect occasional jaggedness or slight blurring. One particular thing that i've noticed is that, when playing Pokémon on the original DS, it is very clear when there is only 1 HP remaining on the health bar; however, on the DSi, the little red sliver of HP becomes practically invisible due to the up-scaling. It's mildly irritating.

- Although the layout and responsiveness of the DSi menu system are better than the DS and DS Lite's, aesthetically it looks really horrible. Text is incredibly jagged and ugly and everything just looks really blurry and poorly rendered. I almost can't believe Nintendo even released it like that, it just looks awful.

- Although the DSi supports WPA, for some unfathomable reason they decided to make it so that each individual game has to implement their own wireless security protocol support. In essence this means that although you will see WPA support touted as a feature of the DSi, IT IS COMPLETELY USELESS. You CAN NOT use WPA with 90% of the games released for the DSi, including newer ones like Pokémon HG/SS. WEP was deprecated before the DS was even released, so i find this a little ridiculous.

- Nintendo removed the auto-boot feature (where the console will automatically load whatever game is in the slot when you turn it on). This is a regression from the previous DS systems, presumably done to discourage piracy or something.

- You still can't turn off the annoying health and safety warning.

- The cameras are totally worthless, the photos they take are of even poorer quality than ones from a cheap mobile phone. I've seen exactly one instance of the camera's use that i thought was worthwhile (a Japanese DSiWare game that uses it for head tracking), but otherwise i feel like they're useless and unnecessarily inflate the price of the system.

- Although it's an improvement over the one on the original DS, i still don't like the volume slider. There's not enough control, i constantly feel like it's either too loud or too quiet.

I list more cons here because i assume the negatives are more useful to people, but overall i would really recommend it, it's been a fabulous investment for me despite the handful of problems it has.

Also, to anyone who is worried that it would be a bad idea to purchase a DSi now that the XL -- and eventually the 3DS -- is out, i say don't be. The DSi is still perfectly good and in fact there are several reasons you might want it specifically over the XL (size being the main one; the XL has almost twice the overall dimensions of the DSi, which makes it less portable).
on April 21, 2013
Received this item timely, from seller. Got it for my 12 year old daughter who is very particular. Bought it used, and it works perfectly, all features work perfectly, hardly had a scratch. She anyway covered it with a care bears case but in any case I dont feel I compromised by not getting it new. Also as far as the dsi goes, Shes coming from having a ds lite. This has a camera, and some additional features she absolutely loves. You can play around with the photos you take and alter the peoples faces and make them look hilarious!! Real teenage fun. I was laughing to see some of the distorted faces shes made of her own face, like blowing up her cheeks. I didnt look into it, but she tells me she and her friends love the parrot feature that enables doing mimicking sounds etc. She loves it and shes hard to please with gifts ans shes particular and a mature 12 yr old, so go for it.Good upgrade from ds lite although theres 3ds that overtook this. But im really thrilled with this product.
on October 22, 2009
I was debating getting a new handheld gaming system. My kids both have PSP's but I don't like them very much. I like something more simple to control (hey, I'm 36). I don't want to have to figure out all the little buttons, especially on something this small. The DS has the stylus/touch screen, so that is what initially drew me. I did my research trying to choose between an iTouch and a DSLite. Naturally, the iTouch can do much more, but hey, it's also much pricier. If money were no object, I'd probably have gotten the iTouch. Anyway, so it was between the DSi and the DSLite. I scoured the net trying to get everyone's opinion. I don't already have a DSLite, so I was starting fresh. Many people complained that the 2 are too similar, not to bother upgrading, and that may be so. But if you, like me, don't have either, go ahead and get the DSi. I love being able to browse the net (although it is limited), check my email on the go, take pics, and those were big issues for me. You're not going to be giving up your puter in favor of surfing with the DSi, it's much slower & aggravating to navigate around the page when compared to a puter, but it's still really good when faced with nothing. I also really like the game selections of the DS. There aren't many downloadable DSiWare games, yet, but you can use all the DS games on the DSi. I'm a "mature" player. I don't want shoot 'em & kill 'em games. I don't want typical teen type games. I want puzzle style, Diner Dash type, and for that type of gaming, the DSi can't be beat. It comes downloaded with a calendar function, which is nice for scheduling/planner use. I carry this around in my purse everywhere. I've had it for almost a month and I am glad I chose this one!
on January 2, 2017
The item arrived in good condition, but after a while it overheated and stopped working
on December 8, 2009
This little game system is really alot of fun. My son has tried his friends out and loved it so much (the photo manipulating, sound recording and just the functions of this other than game play are really cool he says) we got him one for Christmas. Not only does it look cool, but I could not put the thing down when I was testing it out (and I'm almost 40!!). I still have to learn how to get it online but not a huge deal since it has so many other fun features. I'm sure he will be really excited come Christmas morning, this will definately be in his top 5 favorite gifts! The pictures aren't that great in quality, its more for fun rather than quality, so if your looking for nice photos, stick with your digital camera. The sound recorder is alot of fun in itself, you can speed up your voice recording, slow it down in alot of different variables. You can also add your music and use it as an ipod (and manipulate the music too!). I added my photo and a voice message to this so that when my son turns it on he will see my photo with a Christmas message and my voice recording. I would recommend this over the previous systems if you can manage the price. Shop around, buy a bundle if you can, you can save $$$. We also got the accessory kit on Amazon, matching colors, that has alot of good stuff to go along with the DSi, can't wait til Christmas!!
on July 13, 2016
It was great, in great condition just as listed except for that it is shown with a stylus but did not come with one. Easy enough fix as you can buy 4 for around $1, but still a little annoying. Also did not come with SD card but was not expecting one either.
on May 27, 2013

on April 16, 2010
I am not gonna get into all of the technical details about this system because many reviews here already did. I am just gonna go through my experience with it. I previously had a Nintendo DS Lite but sold it to get this. Was it worth it? Yup. My main reason for upgrading was for the bigger screen. It might not seem like much of difference but to me it was. I do see some things in games better with the bigger screens, especially small objects. I also noticed that the sound quality on the dsi is much better. It has an SD card slot too, which I have yet to use, so that you can load music onto your dsi. In my opinion, I will leave the music playing to my ipod touch. the buttons feel more sturdy on the dsi. when you press them, you hear a nice click, unlike on the ds lite. I also really like the new user interface that the dsi has. it looks more streamlined, however I think the extras, like the whole picture editing thing, are pretty stupid. they are fun for like 5 minutes when you first get your system but then they quickly get old and boring. I never use the two cameras on the dsi. I have not tried the internet connection because I will probably never need that. the one thing that I like better on the ds lite was the glossy finish on the top. the top of the dsi looks really boring and i feel it is in desperate need of a skin. It is not really a must to upgrade from a ds lite but the screen size difference is what sold me. if you're fine with the ds lite's screens, then just keep that. the lack of a gba slot is no problem for me because I just stick to ds games. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in battery life either. the thing still seems to stay charged forever. i love my dsi and i think you will love it if you got one too. as for the dsi vs the dsi xl. if you are looking for portability, stick with the dsi.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.