Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 8, 2016
This impact has a poorly designed anvil that will ruin your impact sockets. I have included pictures to show that the flats of the anvil are too short and anvil shoulder is rounded, which beats the death out of the sockets. The old sockets are Sunex, and the newer ones are Snap-On / Williams.

An impact anvil needs to seat fully or it will ruin your sockets. I have used the shown IR 231 since 1988 on my my job and these sockets until I wore it out. Seeing the Nitro Cat review I bought one. My socket sets cost more than the wrench, so the Nitro Cat is leaving. Not worth it. I will buy another Ingersol Rand.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
55 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 30, 2010
I am very particular when it comes to quality. The quality of anything I'm going to invest a good chunk of my hard earned, so I always go for a reputable brand. This gun is light for its size, yet packs quite a punch; and pretty quiet and cheap for what looks to me like a solidly built tool. I debated for days wether to buy this one or the IR 2135 TImax 1/2" drive, which costs roughly $100 more. I went with the AirCat since it's cheaper and they claimed its torque to be 1,200 ft lbs. I bought one and returned it that same day. Why? Because I happen to have a 3/8" 2135 IR TImax so I put the both through a couple of test and the little TI was taking off anything the Aircat took off. Okay, maybe it took a couple more hammering before the nuts came loose, but we're comparing a 3/8 to a 1/2. And the Aircat also did some pounding before the nuts came loose, too. The little TI max is rated at 300 ft lb and the Aircat is 1,200! With that much difference, I should be able to see and feel a great significance in power. The Aircat is definitely stronger, but what if you put it up against the little TI's bigger brother - the 1/2", which I just received and loved it! Don't get me wrong, the Aircat is pretty strong and has a quality feel to it. All in all, this is a great gun with plenty of power at a lower cost for any home mechanic. I would definitely buy this gun if I wasn't so picky, but it was the torque rating that got to me. The IR 1/2" 2135 timax @ 780 ft lb vs. Aircat 1/2" aca1200k @ 1,200 ft lb. The Aircat is a great gun but the IR 1/2 to me, just feels much stronger. But don't take my words of opinion for it, see it for yourself...
1111 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 23, 2018
I purchased this impact from our Snap-On truck at work, needing a heavy duty impact for daily professional use.
To say I am impressed would be an understatement.
I paid 245 dollars for mine and even at that price I consider it a steal.
I've been using this tool now daily, in a pro level environment, for right at 12 months and the only issue I've had is, once, (one time) the trigger become stuck in the depressed position. It was easily fixed with a proper clean and oil.
It has successfully broken lug nuts on Chevy 2500's, f-250's, box trucks, axle nuts and anything I've thrown at it.
The other techs in the shop have their own guns, of course, these include, Snap-On, IR and Bluepoints. Everyone at one point has borrowed mine to get something their's can't handle.
If it can't break the nut loose, it will break the stud off instead...

Speaking on construction.
At first I was pretty skeptical about the rubber injected grip, having seen more than one on other similar products bubble and melt off from the toxic environment they are subjected to. (Oil, Grease, Solvents etc...)
This has not been the case for the Nitrocat,
Also, it has taken more than one fall onto the shop floor and handled it admirably, minor damage around the flare of the handle at the base, but no signs of it having weakened the structure.
I will say, I clean my tools at the end of the day and never leave them to the weather. I oil my gun daily with simple ATF (even though this is not a recommended lubricant by the manufacturer) and it is holding up very well.

AIRCAT has blown me away and has won a lifetime customer with one tool purchase.
on September 18, 2016
I bought this tool to remove 10 year old rusted out bolts and castle nuts on my Subaru's front end joints on the axle housing. It worked great so far and I paired them with TEKTON 4885 1/2-Inch Drive Deep Impact Socket Set (Metric) which you can pick up here on Amazon too. My Tekton impact sockets didn't end up getting destroyed like one of the other reviewer's impact sockets. I used a 30 Gallon Sanborn air compressor I picked up at Menards along with a BluBird 3/8" 50 ft. hose (also available on Amazon) which is the recommended size hose to use for the NitroCat 1200-K. I used a Husky 4 piece quick connect set I got at Home Depot to connect the 1/4" NPT fitting to the NitroCat and it worked great without any leaks on the NitroCat end. Though I do have leaks at my compressor end because I used some cheap MasterForce branded China 1/4" NPT and coupler but it leaked a lot less than having the Husky 1/4" NPT female connected to the stock Sanborn coupler (which has no markings).

The NitroCat needs 1 male 1/4" NPT fitting to connect under the handle and then that needs to be plugged into a female coupler attached to one end of the hose and the other end of the hose should have a female 1/4" NPT fitting plugged into your air compressor's coupler. Hope that help some of you who are just getting started setting up air powered tools for the first time. Took me a while to do enough research on how to get the right fittings to connect to everything and getting the right air compressor.

Be careful of the 1/4" NPT fittings/couplers as a lot of the local stuff you can buy from Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc... are all industrial fittings and you may unintentionally have industrial fittings hooked up to auto fittings which will cause air leaks in the quick connect/disconnect couplers. It's best to buy matching sets/brand of coupler and NPT fittings to avoid air leaks on the NitroCat. There is a difference between industrial and auto fittings and to make matters worse there are even more like Lincoln and ARO to make it even more confusing. And then if you visit Milton Industries online they will have an entire list of types of fittings from M-Style, A-Style, AA-Style, AMT Style, D-Style, G-Style, H-Style, L-Style, P-Style, T-Style, V-Style, and I'll stop there.

One last tip, when using the NitroCat to remove rusty nuts and bolts make sure you use your favorite brand of penetrating oil first (make sure to wait for 5-15 minutes so the oil can penetrate and do its job) so the stuck bolt or nut will come out easier. I used LPS KB88 as someone recommended elsewhere but you can use Kano Kroil, PB Blaster, Seafoam Deep Creep or whatever you want. Supposedly LPS KB88 is the best above Krano Kroil according to some people and LPS itself. Honestly, I don't know what is the best but the KB88 worked for me and I also tried Sea Foam Deep Creep which didn't work as well but worked better than WD-40. Sadly, I don't have the resources and time to test out Kano Kroil or PB Blaster to see which is the ultimate penetrating oil to use with the impact wrench. If I had more resources I would've purchased an Ingersoll Rand impact wrench but I would still say this is a great beginners impact wrench and you can't really go wrong with choosing it as your first wrench. No regrets, still a better buy than whatever you can get at your local big box hardware store. Of course, while searching for an impact wrench to buy I came across Harbor Freights Earthquake XT with similar pricing but with a 90-Day Risk Free Trial. Unfortunately, I do not live very close to one to try it out. Maybe consider that as an alternative if you don't want to spend more money on an Ingersoll Rand or Snap-On.

I suspect people are losing effective torque power on this impact wrench due to leaking fittings, different hose sizes, and compressor specifications. The general rule of thumb someone told me was 5 CFM per a tool @ 90 PSI per one person. My compressor is rated at 5.5 CFM @ 90 PSI which runs the NitroCat fine.
on October 6, 2016
I love this thing. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I do work on old tractors and farm equipment pretty much every day. I also don' t have a lot to compare it to because I barely ever used my old one , it was so loud, and, this may sound silly but with a metal body it was just cold (in the winter), slippery when hands are covered in grease. Minor issues of course, but I found that I just never felt like picking it up. My old one also wasn't always a sure thing for stuck bolts/nuts - so I just found it wasn't worth finding out it wouldn't work - it just stayed in its drawer. Insteadd I'd always reach for a breaker bar or even the torch first.

From the moment I pulled this thing out of the box I knew I was going to like it. The body is comfortable to grip. it actually feels good in your hand. It's well balanced. Just the grip alone is worth a star or two.

The reason I bought it was because of the other reviews referring to it's torque and ability to remove frozen bolts. I walked around an old tedder with some rusty nuts that haven't come off in decades. First one - pulled the trigger for half a second to see how it sounded - MUCH quieter than my old one (a major concern for me having already lost so much of my hearing) And SMOOTH. I went to give the trigger another squeeze and realize the nut was already off the bolt. I couldn't believe how fast, quiet, and powerful this thing was.

So smooth that I spent the next 20 minutes just looking for stuff to take apart with it. I'd say "for this price" I don't see how you can go wrong, but honestly, I'd be happy with this if I paid twice as much for it. Paying so little is just icing on the cake.

It's too new to talk about longevity, but if this thing stays together, I'll rank it up there with some of my favorite tool purchases. So in addition to the other claims here about this wrench's abilities, I'll add that It's an actual pleasure to use. I will reach for this thing WAY more often than my old one. I didn't come into this purchase thinking about comfort and noise, but now that I've got it I realize that really does matter.
on May 23, 2016
I thought i would give this tool a try since it looked like it had a lot of positive reviews, but it fell short of my expectations. I work as a technician and even in its max forward setting with 110psi and 3/8 fitting and 1/2 hose it barely has the power to snug down the lug nuts, or any bolt or nut for that matter. I will be returning this and getting ir2235 ti max.
on July 3, 2013
Not a hands on review!

Had a hard time deciding between the 1200-K and 1150 Aircat Impacts. Both are excellent guns that equal with other top guns on the market based on user reviews. Both are rebuild-able by user, have very similar torque figures (Max. Torque 1,295 ft-lbs), are relatively quiet 86db compared to other top guns on market, have 2 yr warranties, weight about 4.5 lbs, and are about half the cost of other top guns on the market. At the time I wrote this the 1150 was about $14 more (not much difference).

So I did some research and called the company and came up with the following.

1200-K NitroCat 1200-K 1/2-Inch Kevlar Composite Air Impact Wrench With Twin Clutch Mechanism
-slower hits per minute 950.
-better gun for loosening stuck bolts. (per phone call with company)
-slightly lower reliability (per phone call with company)
-Working Torque: 200-900 (ft-lbs)
-uses 5w-30 motor oil for lubrication
-gray main body
-4.0 CFM at 90-120 PSI

1150 AIRCAT 1150 Killer Torque 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench, Black
-more hits per minute 1400 (faster)
-more for general use (per phone call with company)
-higher reliability (per phone call with company)
-Working Torque: 200-950 (ft-lb)
-uses Lithium or bearing grease for lubrication
-black main body
-4.3 CFM at 90-120 PSI

Hope this helps with anyone trying to decide.
I need to get some stuck bolts out and am going with the 1200k. Hope it works.
44 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 24, 2013
I bought this gun nearly 2 years ago and it is still going strong. I love how quite it is and the power output is amazing! This thing will out due snap-on half inch guns easily. I use it on 1and1/4" bolts all the time. About the only down side is that it snaps off smaller bolts very easily so you have to be careful. I have a co-worker that has had the 1100k for 4 years and has beat it to death and it still works great. He has used it to loosen lug nuts on volvo articulating hual trucks which are torqued to well over 500 foot pounds. Best gun for the money hands down.
on February 27, 2016
I bought this to help with my hub assembly replacement on my GMC 2500. It effortlessly removed my 36mm axle nut. It is pretty darn quiet too. I was borrowing a friends $50 husky and this tool was noticeably quieter, it is almost deceiving because you would think something so quiet couldn't possibly have this much power. I am driving it with a harbor freight compressor which can push 4-5scfm at 90 and a 3/8" ID hose.
on November 15, 2017
I'm a master mechanic and use my tools 6 days a week and put them through their worst conditions. I will stress that I have over 100k in tools and this gun is equal to my 500 dollar Mac tools 1/2 inch. Don't be afraid to buy it. It is a composite housing so don't drop it. If you drop your tools like an idiot then opt for a steel or aluminum housing gun. Also install a water separator for your compressor to extend tool life. Using proper air tool oil never trans fluid like some people is a bad idea. But hey what do I know.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.