Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ricky Martin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

No Eta: The Pioneering Days of Skydiving
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 13, 2011
Dick Fortenberry was there from the late '50s; the beginning of the sport of parachuting.
Because skydivers keep log books and record every jump, Dick was able to chronicle his experiences accurately.
This book provides a record of sport it is formative years

Dick did not just start in the sport in the early days, he was a devoted pioneer who experimented and made many contributions to the growth and development of skydiving.
When I began jumping in 1962, he was already a living legend--and one of my heros.

The author went on to fly helicopters in Vietnam and corporate jets.
This book just covers his skydiving years between 1957 and 1965.

There are typos (which will be corrected in the next edition) but the writing is excellent and he is an engaging storyteller.

This book deserves to be featured in the National Skydiving Museum.

I recommend it to skydivers, aviators and history buffs.

--Dan Poynter, D-454, author of several books on parachutes and skydiving.
on February 17, 2015
I've only just finished this book and I would recommend it to anyone. Having made a few jumps starting in the mid 60's I knew of the name Dick Fortenberry but not the whole story until now. In those days we were in awe of anyone on the Golden Knights parachute team. This story is well written, it easily holds your interest and kept me up till late at night. I was only trying to finish the chapter but found myself unwilling to put the book down and started right into the next chapter. It is a significant look into the early history of skydiving and a valuable contribution to the sport.
on October 25, 2012
Dick Fortenberry has a fascinating story to tell... actually he has LOTS of fascinating stories to tell, but this particular book looks at his early experiences as a soldier and as a skydiver, a sport which was then (late 50s, early 60s) in its infancy. In the days when the canopies were still circular he won several titles and led the U.S. parachute team in competition against the Soviets, beating them as a time when they dominated the young sport. Fortenberry was one of the founding members of the Golden Knights, the U.S. Army's parachute demonstration team.

Unfortunately, the book should have been closely edited and slightly reorganized. There are typos and grammatical errors in the book which are distracting and the flow of the book is not smooth in places. However, I still recommend No ETA as I have not seen anything nearly as good as it in describing how skydiving began in the United States. Illustrated with some photos.
on January 28, 2012
I stumbled upon this book when looking for more information on the history of skydiving. What I found was an amazing story of a legend in the sport. It is obviously a self publishing effort in need of proper editing due to spelling and grammar errors (some words even lacking spaces between them) however it is the story that makes this book worth the purchase. I could visualize the events as I read and get a clear picture of the grass roots that made sport parachuting what it is today. I get the impression that the author is the type with many more stories to tell, someone you could have a beer with.

If you are interested in the history of parachuting and military use/the golden knights, this book is for you. Four stars from me, with some proper editing I would have given it a five.
on June 26, 2014
Some parts of the book had me laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes. It was wonderful to relive the glory days of the heroic men and women of the early national skydiving and world skydiving championships won by Dick Fortenberry and the American Parachuting Teams, that I watched with avid fascination as a young teenager.
on February 14, 2015
Book is GREAT. People I know and places I'v been. Brings back a lotta memories. Be glad when Dick Fortenberry writes his next one.
on May 28, 2013
Dick Fortenberry was a big influence in my husband's life. I am very pleased with the book and hoping to get it autographed. According to my husband, Dick Fortenberry could hit a pie plate when he landed; he was that accurate as a parachutist.
on July 27, 2015
This was a good, interesting read. Some typos were distracting though. . . . . . . . . .
on January 24, 2012
This was a good book. Shows a lot of 'behind the curtain' views in the development of parachuting as a sport in a competative sense. Very personal, and definately pulls you in for 'just one more page'. Bravo.
on April 14, 2014
I especially loved the way Dick detailed the early history of skydiving through his story telling ability! It was fun to read!