Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: No Greater Love
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 18, 2000
I can count on two hands the number of books I've read that have made foundational changes in my life. This is one. From this book I learned the following: "If you are humble, nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are." And (this is Mother Teresa quoting Gandhi)..."If Christians were to live their Christian lives to the fullest, there would not be one Hindu left in India." And last, "Let us put love into action. Let us begin with our family, with our closest neighbors. It is difficult, but that is where our work begins." I learned from Mother Teresa that God does not ask us to ditch it all and head for Calcutta or the local soup kitchen; He asks something harder. He asks us to live our lives inside out, where we are at. He asks us to love those in our own sphere, those in our own perimeters. Makes sense, I suppose. The change always starts at the core, at our heart, and seeps out from there. Makes sense it would touch first those closest to us...it's simply easier to keep a distant focus. This book did what I did not expect, it brought my focus to those closest to me. I've loaned it out so many times that I finally decided to get another copy for personal reference again. I wish I could thank her for what it meant to me, but she'd shoo it all on Jesus anyway.
55 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 1998
For the past several months I have been working with a man who committed some sexual crimes against his STEP daughters. He faced up to 350 years in prison. Last Tuesday, January 13,1998 he committed suicide at 6:00am. I had spoken with him on the phone at midnight 6 hours earlier, and his Caller ID showed I was the last call into his house. I DESPERATELY needed "counseling" as I have feelings of guilt (I could have somehow done more) etc. My Veterans Administration Psychiatrist in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA spoke with me about 1 hour and then recommended I read NO GREATER LOVE by Mother Teresa. At first I was a bit reluctant, because as a Protestant I "pre-judged" the book would be for Catholics. MAN WAS I WRONG!! This is absolutely THE BEST book, besides the HOLY BIBLE I have EVER read. Mother Teresa puts it "where the rubber meets the road" so to speak. It has been the GREATEST "self-help" book I have ever seen, if you really want to deepen your spiritual life. It DOESN'T focus on "religion" but rather focuses on JESUS CHRIST. If you haven't read the book, borrow it from your public library. After you have started it, you will want to order it from AMAZON BOOKS at http://www.amazon.com. I have checked with MANY booksellers, both locally and on "the web" and Amazon has the very best price. THIS BOOK IS AN ETERNAL INVESTMENT. TAKE TIME TO STUDY IT AND YOU WILL BE MUCH RICHER IN YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE. Who knows, this book MAY have SAVED MY LIFE, as I was very, VERY despondent, and had serious thoughts of suicide myself. I give it a 10+ rating. I would also welcome any help/advice from anyone who has faced similar circumstances where a close friend committed suicide, and how YOU have dealt with it. Thank You. Don Ginter
11 comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2002
This book contains Mother Teresa's reflections on spiritual subjects like prayer, holiness, forgiveness etc. They are classified under different heads. To the modern sophisticated mind her ideas may look naïve and old fashioned, but her faithfulness to Jesus Christ her Lord was the utmost ideal in that life. And that is what raises her to the level of a modern saint. Her simple stories narrated with some sense of humor demonstrate her earnestness and zeal. Her simplicity and depth of faith are evident through these reflections. The book also contains an interview with Mother Teresa and a short biographical sketch. There is also a thought provoking forward by Fr Thomas Moore.
on September 17, 2003
Reading this book brought tears to my eyes just based on the sheer love for mankind this woman radiates. Besides being a touching account of what her day to day life was like of being of service for the sick and poor of the world, it is a great book of guidance and wisdom from a Saint who really followed the path of Christ from moment to moment every day of her life. One of the best reads ever as a source of Spiritual guidance and wisdom.
on May 18, 2006
I have always admired Mother Teresa, but I didn't know much about her other than her being a nun who worked with the poor in India. As I grew in my faith, I wanted to learn more about her, so I found this book.

It is very well written and inspiring. Each chapter has a theme. It starts with two quotes: One from a saint or from Mother Teresa, and the other from the Bible. She then reflects on the topic - e.g. Prayer, On Being Holy, Poverty, Love, Jesus, etc. I felt that her combination of conversational prose, poems and prayers, anecdotes, and scripture was in perfect proportion for understanding her wisdom. For example, I felt she used Scripture perfectly to emphasize a point without it feeling like verses were just being "thrown around" just to use them. Similarly, she gives wonderful anecdotes from her experience with working with the poor which demonstrate her love and provide us with an example of how we can grow closer to God. Each chapter is about 6-7 pages long and the text is not too dense. I found each chapter perfect for reading in 10 minutes then reflecting and praying afterwards.

This book is highly recommended to anyone looking to learn more about Christianity and Mother Teresa specifically. She will inspire you to live a holier and loving life.
VINE VOICEon October 1, 2006
Mother Teresa speaks in her own words on subjects such as Prayer, Love, Giving, Poverty and Suffering. Her teachings are presented without adornment, in simple English. This remarkable lady believed in serving God by serving others--the poorest of the poor. She founded a worldwide order of sisters who live in poverty among the poor they serve, and who treat the poor with the respect and dignity that they sorely need. She did not believe in "evangelizing," except by service and example. As a result her missionaries have been accepted and treated with great respect in remarkably diverse places throughout the world.

In this slender volume Mother Teresa's thoughts are presented without commentary, footnotes or sources. Just her words, stunning in their simplicity. Stunning too in her literal application of Jesus' own teaching--to give everything to the poor--everything--and follow him.There is a brief interview with Mother Teresa and the briefest possible autobiographical sketch. I wish there had been more.

This beautiful little book made a profound impression on me and made me want to read more. I recommend it highly to you as well. Reviewed by Louis N. Gruber.
Each book I read "changes my life" so books are carefully selected. This book had a divine destination into my life. I read the book cover to cover, then I had the opportunity to present a lesson on love to a group. As I said the words, I could hear Mother Theresa's voice and I knew that I too will live "No Greater Love". A book each person on the planet should have the special opportunity to read and change their lives.
on December 18, 1999
This book gives the reader a glimpse into Mother Teresa's incredible love, caring, and faith. Truly an inspiring read from the saint of this century.
on February 23, 2003
The title of this review says it all. My husband and I both enjoyed reading it, learning that even Mother Teresa faced challenges and also hearing the advice she offered to others. This is a book I read some time ago, then picked up again this year, and I was amazed at how much I got out of it on a re-read. Some of her words just stick in your mind and come back to inspire and uplift you (me anyway) on challenging days. I recommend this book to anyone, especially anyone who feels they want more of God in their own life.
on August 27, 2015
Please note that when writing book reviews, my star rating is only reflective of my opinion on the contents of the writing, and nothing to do with the quality of the book or it's paper or binding.
Some very deep and thoughtful concepts in this book. Best read slowly with time for contemplation. I am not Catholic, but admire Mother Teresa's life and wanted to know more about what she preached. This is all written in her words, divided by topics.