Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 137 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 164 reviews
on August 5, 2015
Sarah Kay's voice in "No Matter the Wreckage" comes out clear and strong on page as she does in a spoken word poetry. Her poems are not as didactic as many other spoken word poets and have a lyric touch. Due to the nature of the spoken word poetry and its relationship to performance, often subtly and emotional resonance is softened for the blunt impact. Kay's poetry maintains that lyric softness but with absolute clarity. They are graceful and emotional both performed and on the page.
on April 4, 2017
From the wife: Finally something worth reading! Lately, I have been reading too many things with great reviews on Amazon and then they come and they are crap! This has rhythm, melody, structure and flow...It is gorgeous and I could relate to some of the stories even without ever having been to NY (most of what she writes is set there).
on June 19, 2017
I loved this collection. I had already listened to a lot of Sarah's spoken word poetry (which is how I ended up discovering this book) so I could just hear these poems in her voice. It's a much longer collection than the others that I've read but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on March 21, 2014
Sarah Kay is best known for her spoken word poetry and her famous Ted talk. As a huge fan of her, I was worried that her spoken word poetry wouldn't translate well to the page. I was completely wrong. These poems are absolutely beautiful on the page - raw and honest. There's such a wide range of topics - family, friends, loved ones, history. There's poems that I recognize from her spoken word videos and ones that are entirely new to me and more typical for print poetry. There are long poems and short ones, but all the poems pack an emotional punch. Like her spoken word, the poems in "No Matter the Wreckage" are sweet and quiet, but behind them there is heartbreak, family history, abuse, mentions of politics, and so, so much heart. They may come in a pretty wrapper, but make no mistake - Sarah Kay's work is not to be underestimated. "No Matter the Wreckage" has given me chills, and I recommend it to everyone.
on November 14, 2015
This is absolutely beautiful. I'm cheap as well as a technological gal...as in, I rarely buy poetry books. (I'm more of a short story person, anyway. I think it's mostly because I write shorts. My poetry sounds like if Sarah Kay's poetry was shoved in a radioactive blender after getting bitten by eighty rabid dogs.) But I couldn't stay away from this one. Read it. Be changed. In one of my seminars, we discussed using books as a sort of status symbol. As in, do we leave certain books out in plain view to present a certain image of ourselves? I have to admit that I left this book on my coffee table even when I wasn't reading it, so people might think I was as deep, beautiful, and insightful as Sarah Kay...I don't know if it worked, but whatever.
on April 23, 2014
I first saw Sarah Kay on her very first Ted talk back in 2011 when she performed, If I Should Have a Daughter, and was completely blown away. She is one of the few poets to come along in a long while who makes poetry seem like an everyday conversation rather than its loftier brethren, who make you feel you have to be wearing your Sunday best to hear/read.

I was worried that in reading Sarah instead of hearing her might lessen the experience of her poetry, but I could clearly hear her voice as I read through the poems in this volume. What makes Sarah so great is not only the accessibility of her work, but the turns of phrases that immediately conjure an image you wish you had thought of. And you know exactly what she means. She can make you laugh out loud, touch you deeply and make everything seem like it's going to be OK. This is a solid series of poems from a young and exciting poet and I can't wait to see where she heads next.
on July 4, 2014
I didn't use to enjoy poetry; I always enjoyed reading - but never really understood poetry, it seemed too cryptic to me. Until I saw Sarah Kay performance in YouTube. When I received my copy of her book, it surpassed my highest expectations. It is so beautifully written, it brings so many emotions to me, my bet is that this book will always remain as one of my favorite.

I had the blessing of seeing Sarah Kay perform live in Chicago just recently. It was truly a breathtaking event, where I cried and I laughed. People stayed more than an hour after the show to just have the chance to shake her hand. I bought 5 copies of her book for my best friends - by far the best gift I could think of. If you are thinking of buying this book, or have the chance to see attend one of her performances, do not hesitate, she is truly awe-inspiring.
on April 3, 2017
Amazing read. I bought this book because of Sarah Kay's Ted Talk, and I do not regret this purchase. It's grown to be my favorite poetry book, and one that I never get tired of reading. It's empowering, inspiring, and heartwarming. Each poem has its own uniqueness to it. It allows for your own interpretation, and in my mind, I tied some of the poems together creating an even bigger story. Definitely recommend it.
on February 21, 2016
This is a lovely collection from the talented Sarah Kay. The poems are enchanting and though soft in tone, still challenge the reader to view their world just a little bit differently - usually in a better light. There is just something special about seing words you've only heard written on the page -- I would fully recommend investing in this book of poems!
on September 6, 2014
This book is absolutely beautiful! If you've ever heard her live, (if not you absolutely must remedy that because she's a joy to experience on stage) this book is a reflection of that. All her best known and most loved spoken word poems in written form are here. And no, it doesn't lose anything. The way she writes is honest and warm and refreshing. It has notes of playful sadness and comforting joy. It moves across the page with such a graceful and elegant wave that you will cling to its words and seldom want to ever put it down. Also the artwork on the cover is beautiful and the quality is perfect! The texture of this book is like silk. Comforting to hold and yet happily strange. Absolutely recommended!