Customer Reviews: No More Mondays
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Clarisonic Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt GoodGirlsRevolt  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on January 19, 2008
For years, my husband and I have been devotees of motivational books and tapes. We have scores of them in our collection and have read and listened to many more. Previous, to No More Mondays, neither of us had ever read anything by Dan Miller. We won't be making that mistake again.

It is one thing to find a book positively loaded with solid, up-to-date information as Miller's book, it is another to find one as compulsively readable as No More Mondays. Filled with wonderful stories, and powerful anecdotes, this book delivers a motivational jolt.

Part of the attraction is that Mr. Miller is saying just what I want to hear. I've spent much of my life wishing I could be one of the many-those who rise dutifully each morning and head to the office where they laugh sociably with their colleagues, contribute brilliantly at every meeting, and receive a regular paycheck. Unfortunately, like so many others, this round peg does not fit into that square hole

The traditional workplace is hostile territory for people like me-with nary a brain cell dedicated to left-brain activity. Miller says that the old workplace is disappearing, Good news! The real story, though, is that we right-brain, creative types will inherit the new one, where out-of-the box thinking and new untried methods will replace our current, antiquated system.

For years, we right brainers have found it difficult to be who we're hard-wired to be, without apology. Many of us come from families full of left-brain traditionalist who not only don't understand us but see us as patently defective. Dan Miller gives us permission to be ourselves and also supports and encourages our efforts to become more of who we are. Our time has come. Right brainers unite and rise victorious!

The upshot of the story is that my husband and I were both so inspired, that we have decided to pursue an idea we've had for some time for a $5 improvement for every kitchen in America-and beyond. "American Inventor" here we come! You just can't ask any more from a book than that.

Armchair Interviews says: Right brainers-this book is for you.
22 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2008
The job market is changing rapidly, and loyalty to the company or from employers to employees is a thing of the past. Dan Miller is the host of a weekly radio show and is often seen on TV. He believes the rapid changes in the workplace offer opportunities for people seeking new career changes.
He sets out a program for finding your career choice. He also lists a few people who were considered failures. People like Jerry Seinfeld, Winston Churchill, and Steven Spielberg. I enjoyed the story of the manager of the Grand Ole Opry who fired Elvis Pressley after one performance. He said, "You ain't going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck." That has to be one shining example of bad judgment. He also drives home the point that we should never let anyone else's opinion stop us from pursuing our dreams. If you're not happy with your job, take a look at No More Mondays. You may find the answers you're looking for here.
on September 18, 2008
Author Dan Miller offers an inspiring and practical pep talk for those who want to escape the corporate rat race and pursue a path of entrepreneurship. The book title is drawn from the universal feeling of dread that so many workers feel on Sunday night, heading back to the office.

Miller flavors his chapters with a Christian perspective on finding your purpose. Some might find this out of place and a turn-off; I did not. His aim is to stimulate thinking about alternatives to the "conventional" corporate path, paths that can lead to a greater sense of meaning through work and even more money.

What I found best about "No More Mondays" was the concepts of and distinction between linear income and residual income,. The former is swapping hours for dollars. The latter involves developing intellectual property and content which you can sell again and again and again.

If you are considering career changes or are at a career crossroads - or want to see how to view yourself as You, Inc. - I would recommend "No More Mondays."
on February 17, 2008
I've read nearly all of Dan Miller's books and manuals. No More Mondays draws from each of those titles and products to "pull it all together" in one user friendly volume. His advice and recommendations give you enough of a skeleton for you to begin to hang your own dreams and goals upon. Some material is repreated from his other books, but there's enough new material to make it worthwhile. Keep a notepad with you as you read and take notes as you go, too. Good luck!
on August 24, 2008
I liked this book. I found it inspiring, motivating. However, there wasn't enough "how to" stuff for me. To get out of the corporate mentality is tough. Some specific guidance would be helpful.
on March 21, 2008
This book is better than his first book 48 days to the work you love because it is better written and flows well. I found this book to be very helpful in my career search and it helped me to see the opportunities outside the traditional job. His book is full of hope to those who struggle at a 9 to 5 job. Get it if you want to be inspired and need a starting point for a new career and a new way of life.
on February 18, 2008
Great resource for finding your true intrests and getting your career path straight. The book summed up 48 Days and the Creative Income books. I enjoy all of Dan's materials!
on September 21, 2010
I bought this book because of all the rave reviews on Amazon, but I feel like many of these reviewers have been brainwashed.

Let me point out several of the flaws in this book:
1.) He constantly bashes traditional white-collar salary work. While I agree that people should consider other types of work models (such as ROWE), he repeatedly talks about how terrible traditional salary jobs are. He even says he "shudders" to think of the poor people cooped up in office buildings. I myself work in such a job, and while I don't fully enjoy it, I certainly don't appreciate being belittled by the author!
2.) The author fails to realize that some salary jobs are appropriate for certain lines of work, such as technical support, who must be available during certain hours while phone lines are open.
3.) The author really seems biased towards starting your own business, and uses countless extreme examples of people who got really lucky and struck it rich with a good idea/product.
4.) He seems to neglect talking about backup plans if you go through with his "eaglepreneureal" plan (he likes to make up words). What if your idea is a flop? You've quit your steady job, and you have no money. How are the bills going to pay themselves?
5.) He uses excessive amounts of anecdotes, stories, and personal client experiences to get his point across. When you skip the stories, there is really not a lot of actual content in this book.
6.) The first HALF of the book is purely a 4-chapter motivational speech - all he does is talk about how you should find your "calling" and you should do research on different kinds of work models.
7.) Many of his links in his resources section go to websites that no longer exist or are sites that are now full of viruses and popups.

The only good things I got from reading this book were:
1.) He has good information on non-traditional work models (i.e. Contract work, distributorships, freelancers, etc.).
2.) The chapter that talks about the 10 different work types was useful to see if I would like those work models.

Otherwise, I really can't recommend this book. I would instead go online and research work models like "ROWE", which stands for "Results-oriented work environment." You'll save money and not have to sift through tons of unnecessary anecdotes and harsh criticism of your current job.
on February 23, 2008
No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work

This book is great! I love the creative ways that Dan Miller makes you feel comfortable in either incorporating his ideas, or better yet, being encouraged to come up with your own. This is a great book if you are needing that final push of encouragement to go out and try something new, especially on your own. Thanks, Dan!
on August 7, 2010
I got this book hoping there was something unique or different from other books of the same genre. No luck. Basically it says: Figure out what you like to do, make a plan, quit your job and do the new thing, something happens in the meantime to give you unlimited funds to support you and your family while you learn and make mistakes doing this new thing and eventually...profits. Same instructions, different book. The best part of it was the collection of links to resources at the end. Almost made it worth the price. Almost. Too much generic "yay-rah-rah" stuff for it to be really practical and useful. Nothing that really helps you find your true calling. The author just keeps telling you to think about your true calling because only you can figure it out for yourself. Oh, and by the way, you have to sell, sell, sell whatever it is you're going to do that's your true calling. He says it right in the text: you have to be able to sell to make money. Of course, everyone likes to sell and can do so effectively when they see it brings them money...somehow, right? Disappointed.