Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now
Customer Discussions > As I Am forum

"No One"; no way!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2007 1:07:39 PM PST
J. Day says:
Start with a simplistic finger exercise on the piano, add an annoying electronic "thunk," then layer on some painful, atonal caterwauling and you have a hit song that makes me sprint to the radio to change the station. I'm finished listening to "The Steve Harvey Show" every morning when they play this song. It's just awful!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 12:59:25 PM PST
aw says:
amen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 6:30:27 PM PST
L. Thompson says:
I have to disagree. Alicia is evolving into something more grown-up than what we used to see. Her songs come from within, its not about what is "popular" or what sounds nice to others. this is her music. She puts her albums out so that everyone can feel and understand the changes in life that she makes/goes through. you have to feel her music. Its our privilege to be able to listen to it.

i do agree with you with the steve harvey show comment. they do play the song out a little TOO much. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2007 12:02:19 PM PST
MVD says:
Well honestly I think it depends on your prospective, but for me the thump of the bass line, her vocal energy and passion as well as it's simplicity is what makes the song catchy. During these times of trials and tribulations it is good to hear that everything is gonna be alright. So it resignates without being complicated. It also passes the "head bob" test- the beat just makes your head bob.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2007 3:39:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2007 3:40:18 PM PST
Thank you! I even like the little crackling old record album sounds, yes her voice is a bit strained. But like you said, love that heavy thump it's a marching band reference-to good times upbeat fun. And yes it's ALWAYS the passion that she puts into a song. I also have to commend her for choosing to reference NYC and basically poor folks in urban areas-the way she uses that background in her videos, rahter than just a cleaned up Pop image is great, and very "real"-

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2007 8:35:47 PM PST
First, and foremost, I'm a classically trained musician who is quite the music industry enthusiast. I do like "No One". Musically, it doesn't feature a lot of instrumentation, but I think that it is the simplicity that truly sells it. I'm the ultimate Alicia Keys fan, but I will admit there are moments where it isn't perfectly in tune (I would know I have perfect pitch). However, there is a certain soulfulness about this number in which Keys's raw vocals really hit home to the soul. I don't think that it is necessarily the next "Fallin'", "You Don't Know My Name", or "If I Ain't Got You", but there is a certain soul-pop crossover element here that I think is to be appreciated. And honestly, with the way #1 hits are going lately, we should appreciate a song with more lyrical and vocal substance. After all, #1 hits this year have included "Crank That" and "Umbrella" among others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2007 9:18:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2007 9:19:55 AM PST
I totally agree with J. Day and aw. I love the words to the song, but the way she sings it...to me it sounds like someone wailing because they're wounded. No matter what station I'm listening to, I turn the radio every time this song comes on. I am praying that the rest of the cd isn't like this. So far, my prayers have been answered, because I heard her new single yesterday and loved it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 10:50:12 PM PST
Marc Davis says:
I agree, I also mentioned in my review that this song was a bad single choice, not to mention totally unlistenable. I think shes lost some of her genius, but who knows maybe she'll make a big comeback with her next CD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 8:42:20 AM PST
i agree its a great song, it is a little whiny at times but the song as a whole is beautiful, its nice to know that someone still keeps it real. The song is also really uplifting because when hard times come its nice to hear that everything is gonna be alright. that sounds kinda cheesy but for real this album and this song is sooo amazing compared to any of the other crap that everyone thinks is 'hot' right now, come on now britney spears and T-pain are supposed to make good music? Good performers, maybe but true musicians with talent. i think NOT.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2007 10:56:15 PM PST
CharlieGone says:
It's not that bad. It's pretty good, but I must say that the album isn't so good. Average at best. I don't mind listening to this song, but I do mind it when they play it 24 times 24 hours a day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2007 5:25:13 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2007 5:32:53 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 7:26:07 PM PST
paris says:
i agree the song is godawful and annoying. if it HAD meaning all was lost due to the annoying background electronic "thunk". the lyrics are horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 7:03:13 AM PST
K. Frazier says:
YEs i do not like this CD at all. What happen to her music, it's boring!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 9:05:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 9:06:47 AM PST
that song is the most god -awfull thing that they won't stop playing.
It has to be stopped..just plain nonsense...what has happened to music?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 12:23:03 PM PST
Her worst single. I like Alicia Keys very much but the first single is awful. The reason I haven't bought the CD is because of that song.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007 11:46:43 PM PST
C. Hanson says:
It is an awesome song. I love the music.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 11:56:06 AM PST
Kasey says:
I wonder if you bought the album yet. Personally, I don't base buying an album on the first single. That could just be one bad song on the album. I disagree with the comments about this song, it's not her best song to date, but it's also not the worst. I bought the album, and I must say that it is her best to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 5:41:51 AM PST
Just A. Girl says:
I have to agree. I damn near fell asleep listening to this CD

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 11:11:47 AM PST
V. Viquez says:
I love all Alicia Keys songs :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 5:09:35 PM PST
G-Man says:
Simplsitic finger, annoying electronic thunk and painful atonal caterwauling? You know I cannot wait until you release your CD. Until then I'll catch the reruns of the Steve Harvey Show and continue to support a wonderful artist such as Miss Keys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 11:25:27 AM PST
Personally, I love this song and I continue to believe that Alicia Keys is one of the more talented artists of late being able to write her own songs and perform well live. Yeah, so there may be some whiny parts and a few notes not in "perfect" pitch but you get the message which is the beauty of music. Perfection is boring. As a vocalist I know that it takes something to put yourself out there, whether or not the song is your personal experience. I would love to hear the story behind this song. I say well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 4:46:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2008 5:37:28 PM PST
at first, i really hated this song. i couldn't stand her wailing and the way her voice was sort of stuck in the background. in fact, i didn't realize it was her at all the first couple times i heard it. it sounded like some middle-aged man with a sore throat. but my cousin pointed out to me how good this song was when we were driving one night and i really listened to the song. i listened to the message, the instuments (which are, by the way, synth and piano) and it grew on me more and more. And now...I love this song! i could play it literally 24 hours straight and never get bored. someone said that the Uh-uh-uh part at the end is dumb, but i like it for its carribean style and the feeling it expresses that words cannot. alicia keys is a musical genius. maybe emotional wailing just isn't your thing...but to understand why she does that you really have to listen to the song. there is a reason why this is the only song on the album in which she makes those beautiful sounds that others call "whiny voice-straining". The reason is that this song is a gem! Give it a chance, i guarantee you'll love it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  As I Am forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
As I Am
As I Am by Alicia Keys (Audio CD - 2007)
4.3 out of 5 stars (399)