Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 243 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 307 reviews
on August 7, 2016
Going on a low salt diet I bought 3 low salt cookbooks on Amazon.This was by far the best and I am living by many of the receipts I found in this book.I highly recommend it.
on October 20, 2016
A friend loaned this book to me after my husband had double by-pass surgery. I liked it so much I ordered my own.
It has so many recipes and they are regular type recipes that can be used without going to the grocery and purchasing a dozen new items. A very nice cook book.
on April 19, 2017
I absolutely love this book. It explains a low sodium diet in an easy to understand way. There is a meal plan in the back that's very easy to follow. Starting a big dietary change for medical reasons is so hard to do but this book makes it easy. The recipes DO NOT call for strange ingredients you'd probably never use again or ingredients you're not sure you'd even like....another reason I like this book.

The only con...no pictures of any recipes.

I don't mind it but others may since most cookbooks printed now days have pictures.
on June 7, 2015
March 16, 2015, I was 36 years old and told I needed a heart transplant. I studied everything I could to find a way get my heart healthier. I am now level 7 on the heart transplant list (meaning I am inactive). My ejection fraction has climbed from 11% to 32%. The only major change I made was cutting out sodium. I tried several books and this was the easiest to follow, still tasted great, and greatly reduced sodium.

This both is a must have if you are on a sodium restricted diet. Other than this book the only other recipe books I have would with reduced sodium either only reduced the sodium a tiny bit (10-20%) or had recipes that make no sense for a family (being too fancy or time consuming). This books finds a great balance. My favorite recipe is page 262, "thin crust pizza." It taste like the pizza you'd get anywhere else, but with very little sodium (the only sodium is the cheese). A national chain pizza has 600-800 mg of sodium per slice. This recipe drops it down to 150mg per slice while preserving all the taste. The recipes are also very easy to follow with ingredients you can find locally.
on November 9, 2012
This is a wonderful cookbook for anyone who is trying to cut the sodium content of their food. He gives good info about eating out as well as cooking low sodium. I have tried several of the recipes & we've enjoyed them. The soups are very good - this is an area where it's about impossible to stay low sodium with "store bought". Canned soups were the thing that my husband suffered withdrawl from when his MD told him to go low sodium. He enjoys soup with his lunch 365 days a year. Right now he's happy with the Minestone I created from this book. I've also tried some of the lentil soups with good results. I highly recommend this to anyone trying to cook for someone who needs to cut their sodium consumption. I hesitated to buy another cookbook as I've collected them for years, but this was well worth it. It also helps you alter old favorites to this new way of eating. Been cooking for 46 + years and have a degree in Home Economics as well as Nursing.
on August 22, 2013
I just got this book and have started trying a couple things.

We tried the Risotto Milanese since we also just got some high quality saffron to try - it was bland and flavorless prior to adding saffron, and after adding it - that was all you could really taste. It took a large amount of parmesan to make it have a good taste, or salt, both of which of course jack up the sodium levels.

I've tried a couple of the bread machine recipes too, which have turned out ok. Given it's a low sodium cookbook, don't be surprised when things are lacking flavor. The bread isn't exempt from this, and I find it good enough but the kids are less than thrilled.

I was hoping for a little more incorporation of a variety of spices to counter the missing salt. I'm still exploring the book, but haven't found a lot of that yet.

Inconsistency - the risotto recipe calls for parmesan, but never tells you when to add it. Mix in? Sprinkle on top when done? Who knows.... It isn't just that recipe. The breads, for example, are not consistent with describing how much you are making. Some say a 1, 1 and 1/2, or 2 lb loaf (used for bread machines), and some don't say. They'll say 1 loaf, a large loaf, a loaf of 14 slices - I mean, c'mon, come up with something consistent to describe these. There is nothing to link these together, so you don't necessarily know what to set your bread machine on. So, some guesswork involved.

I'm thinking this book was put together and never proofed thoroughly, or at least no one ever went through and made all the recipes prior to publishing to be sure they made sense.
on May 14, 2017
I was recently diagnosed with heart failure, and told to limit my sodium. I felt very uninformed, and started reading labels, and realized there was sodium in everything! After printing and trying out a few recipes online, I found this book. Best Buy ever! Everything you need to know and So many recipes! I am sharing this with everyone I know who is watching their sodium intake, and sharing it with my doctors as well. Thank you dr. Gazzaniga!
on June 6, 2013
The author of this cookbook was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and was in line for a heart transplant. He and his wife and daughter (a dietitian) devised a 500 milligram low sodium diet that totally reversed his condition and allowed him to not need the transplant and to live normally again. He did have to follow the sodium restrictions closely and will have to for the rest of his life, but once one gets used to not using salt and high-sodium products, it is easier to adjust than one would think. I am doing this myself and continue to try and reduce my sodium intake every day. Of course, one must make a lot of things at home "from scratch" but the recipes in this book (and his other books) are wonderful. The hints are great (like using a breadmaker to make your own low sodium breads in many varieties, and substituting many low sodium products now on the market for salted products of the same type...like low sodium Ketchup and low sodium pickles and on down the list.) Many of these products can now be found in regular grocery stores and one can always ask the store manager to order more. The book and diet are endorsed by several cardiologists, and there are many testimonials from people who have followed the diet carefully and have had wonderful changes in their cardiac health. As a person who has recently been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, like the author was, I truly give a THUMBS UP to this cookbook and others in the series.
on March 10, 2013
I was looking for a low sodium cookbook by using the look inside feature. I'd almost picked another book based on glossy pictures and great descriptions (and wow reviews), but something about this book called to me. I suspect it was the utterly pragmatic, down-to-earth no b.s. tone, and simple, tasty-sounding recipes. I'm making a lifestyle change, not trying out a new cuisine. I need something I can eat every day that would get my problems under control.

Four days into getting this book, I've tried four excellent recipes, bought a bread machine (it's true. I'm "not" going to make bread, but I can sure pour ingredients into a bread machine and push a button. Thanks, Don!) and started looking forward to eating again. Thank God. I'm getting all the other books in the series as soon as I can.
on May 27, 2013
First off, let me say this cookbook has some great ideas and hints for cutting salt out of your diet. The section on sauces is great, with low sodium soy sauce, BBQ, white sauce, etc. There are lots of entree and side dish recipes, and a whole section on salads and salad dressings.
I have two issues with the book however. As good as the sauce recipes are, there are no serving sizes included. The receipe will tell you how many serving is makes, and the nutritional info for each serving, but not the amount of sauce is in one serving (example, 2 tbs is one serving, or 1/4 cup etc...) It would be nice to have that.
The other issue is that the nutritional info is way off on many recipes. The sodium amounts are usually correct, and with it being a low sodium cookbook that is the important thing. But i have found several recipes where info is incorrect. Usually it's the fat grams that is off, sometimes the carbs. One recipe was off by over 10 grams of fat per serving.
Overall, its a decent source for recipe ideas and tips to cut sodium down, but if you are also watching calories, fat, carbs etc, then you may want to run these through a nutritional counter to determing the real calorie and fat count before you cook them.