Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Avenged Sevenfold forum

No Screaming here

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2007, 6:07:41 PM PDT
This is the new face of avenged sevenfold and personally it's far much better than their first 2 albums... Much more melodies and great instrumentals--- Two thumbs up!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007, 7:09:58 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 23, 2007, 11:41:29 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007, 11:51:13 AM PDT
C. Wilson says:
Anyone who thinks that Waking The Fallen isn't their best album is an idiot. I was going to be nice about it, but I decided to just lay it out there. City of Evil was above average, but not great. I've heard the two singles off their new one and like them both. Seventh Trumpet showed their potential, but it only had a few good songs. If this cd is anywhere close to being as good as Waking The Fallen then I'm definitely going to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007, 6:01:34 PM PDT
Avenged sevenfold rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007, 4:36:38 PM PDT
.... says:
Waking the Fallen was very genre exclusive. City of Evil is likeable from all fronts. I personally thought Fallen was a little heavy on the screaming but it had terrific songs like chapter four and unholy confessions. City of Evil is a musical masterpeice but not as hardcore. City of Evil is more civilized metal. I like diversity, so City of Evil for me was by far the better album, especially depth wise.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007, 1:02:44 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
Depth wise, City of Evil doesn't even compare to Waking the Fallen. They streamlined their approach to song writing and made a CD that was very hit or miss. Waking The Fallen was much more complex, musically impressive, and consistent than City of Evil. Every song on that album was amazing. But with crap like Seize the Day and Sidewinder, City of Evil definitely faultered. Their new cd will hopefully be better, because the first two singles they've released sound pretty good. Here's hoping...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007, 4:36:40 PM PDT
G$ash17 says:
C. Wilson you are a piece of garbage saying something so ignorant like "anyone who doesn't think like I do is an idiot" Everyone has their own opinions nobody has to think that's their best album just cause you do. I think City of Evil was their best but all 3are good and are definately above average but it doesn't make you an idiot for thinking it's their best but doesn't make anybody else an idiot if they don't think it's their best, people like you should be tortured

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007, 6:44:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 9:28:52 AM PDT
C. Wilson says:
I would like to see the age breakdown of those who like City of Evil and those who like Waking the Fallen. I guarantee that City of Evil ranges in the 12-17 year old wannabe metal heads and that Waking the Fallen has a more of a mature audience.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2007, 5:39:14 PM PDT
i consider myself to be a fairly diverse and mature 23-year-old metalhead, and i nearly equally enjoy both city of evil and waking the fallen. true, city has its weaker moments, but i see it as a monument in the realm of modern, mainstream rock/metal songcraft. they drew more diverse influences and wrote epic, varied songs. also, you can hear their continued progression as players. i don't think i need to go into waking the fallen, because anyone who has a reasonable appreciation for heavy music realizes what a show-stopper that album is, from beginning to end.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007, 1:54:32 PM PDT
L. Mayoras says:
If you are really a metal head then should like Sounding the Seventh Trumpet! It is there most hardcore album. Waking the Fallen is very good and City of Evil is just plain mainstream!!! They've slowly gone down hill and away from hardcore metal, sounds like this one will continue that!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007, 7:35:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2007, 7:37:09 PM PDT
I just Listened to the entire Disc!! Left scratching my head..... Brilliant Music... But so freaking odd! The Rev is all over it. One Moment its Queen, next second its country (yes there is a full fledged country song w/ pedal steel and all), then Straight Metal, and even a blues number!

Confused but I will Happily pay for it!

Kudos on the self-production!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2007, 2:10:59 PM PDT
L. Winkler says:
i got the disc too. Its...different....took me a few runs thorough, but i dig it front to back now. I don't think its up to the level of COE or WTF, but its a good DIVERSE disc. I estimate that 50% of the fans will eat it up, and the other 50% will despise it. I'd have to say that A Little Piece of Heaven is my personal favorite as of now.

P.S. Waking the Fallen is their best album imho

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2007, 2:35:06 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
Good call Winkler. I listened to each track on Youtube, and I agree with you. I'm assuming the songs will grow on me, but right now I put it around the same place as City of Evil. I agree that Waking the Fallen is superior to their other 3 albums. Once I buy the CD I'll be able to give a more accurate interpretation of how good the album is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007, 11:53:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2007, 11:53:35 PM PDT
A. Douglas says:
Mate, I'm 36 and think that City of Evil is their best album so far. I'm not about to discount the other two but I think it shows a maturity and diversity that a lot of 'metal' bands don't, or are afraid to, put into their albums. I've come from an old school punk rock background and a lot of those bands that were afraid to grow musically died a sad death. Growth and development in music is what keeps a metal band fresh

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2007, 5:49:16 PM PDT
This new CD is weak. BUT still VERY Entertaining at the same time. It is NOT heavy by any means - they sound like Firehouse now. So don't let the description and their interviews get your expectations up for a heavy album (it's actually all glam and glitz - the opposite of the description).

However, having said that I still find it completely catchy and can't get the songs out of my head. + the production quality is amazing. It may sound more poppy than usual because usually only Justin Timberlake is produced with this level of major label sell-to-the-masses quality. This leads me to believe that if I had no expectations for his album, I would really really like it.

If you haven't heard it yet, then expect it to be really slow and sappy poppy stuff. That way when you hear it you will think it rocks and you will want to listen to it over and over again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007, 6:21:21 PM PDT
I am 22 and I like City of Evil more than Waking the Fallen....damn...I guess I am immature... How old are you?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007, 6:58:01 PM PDT
C. Wilson says:
I'm 23. What do you think of their new cd?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2007, 3:55:34 PM PST
J. Jacobs says:
I'm 23, and personally I couldn't handle the other two albums before this album. After listening to this album, I decided to give COE and WTF another listen. To my surprise I actually liked alot of their old music, however, I feel this album is leaps and bounds better than either of the two, both musically and lyrically. This is what happens when a band is actually allowed to make music their own way as opposed to being controlled by a label. I foresee this album outselling their last two records combined. This album is gonna cause a huge fanbase growth if they push it on the radio/music television. Thats how likeable this album is. Would I classify it as "metal core"? No. Would I say its a great millstone in their career and a sign of maturity, both as human beings and as a band? Definitely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007, 12:42:24 PM PST
C. Wilson says:
I've listened to their new cd at least 20 times, and I definitely think it is their second best album to date. It hasn't gotten old to me yet, which says something. It is what City of Evil should have been. Although it isn't as good as Waking the Fallen, it is still a great album. The album shows a lot of growth and experimentation, most of which works in their favor. I highly recommend this for anyone interested in unique metal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007, 9:45:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2007, 4:47:04 PM PST
Bo Howarth says:
Simply stating one is better than the other is ignorant, Waking the Fallen and City of Evil are two very different albums, almost different genera's. Waking the fallen is mostly centered around the screaming vocals. City of evil focuses on both the musicianship of the band, and Shadow's adaptivity as a vocalist.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007, 2:52:54 PM PST
R. D. Baxter says:
Im almost 30 & I believe City of Evil to be superior to Waking The Fallen in almost every regard. Its a far more complex & mature album & with the new Self Titled album they have taken it up another notch.

Just because they have softened their approach abit it doesnt make it weak. They've simply evolved and obviously got bored with the other style.

If you dont like it,dont buy it...simple as that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007, 4:31:31 PM PST
spaceglider says:
I'm 33 and love both city of evil and waking the fallen - Lets face it, city of evil was the spinal tap -im more heavy metal than you, with wanking guitar solos and all of its over the top gloriousness. But here is the deal, they don't take themselves seriously like say Def Leppard, this is all tongue in cheek and having fun while being very entertaining. I love every minute of COE. The New album seams to me like they are trying hard to be a little more serious and diverse but in the transalation they somehow sound a little too mall kids/Emo style that takes a lot of the uniqueness away. It sounds very homogenized. Some songs are alright but it just reminds me of when metallica started becoming watered down. Just my opinion, if you like it and think its the best album by this band, theres nothing wrong with that, i'm glad you enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2008, 9:06:12 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
Here's my opinion.

Waking the Fallen
Avenged Sevenfold
City of Evil
Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

just cuz St7T is on the bottom for me, doesn't mean i dislike it. It's just that everything on that cd seems more like a jam session than an actual song (cept for a few standout tracks that are incredible...lips of deceit, the one that starts acoustic with a name that escapes me, warmness on the soul...)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2008, 2:20:33 PM PDT
Jester Child says:
I don't think age has too much to do with it... it is your ability to comprehend good music. I think music is like a language and your ability to learn/appreciate good music deteriorates as you get older and your taste basically stays the same. Some of us are fortunate enough to develop a good music taste early on during our teen years; some of us are not and are basically stuck with a generic taste and an opinion that City of Evil is the better album. We should not hold that handicap against those people... at the end of the day it's their loss. Bottom line is Avenged Sevenfold died after Waken the Fallen.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Avenged Sevenfold forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Sep 20, 2007
Latest post:  Aug 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about
Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold by Avenged Sevenfold (Audio CD - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars (297)