Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Akira [Blu-ray] forum

No Streamline dub, no sale.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 172 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 6, 2009 11:46:07 AM PDT
I. Gaston says:
I don't agree that its a vote of no confidence. Could simply be a strategy of releasing a bare-bones version first, and a wiz-bang version later. Like say 2 years from now at Christmas time?

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 1:08:53 PM PDT
J. Bradley says:
I would think '013 or before the live-action version-whichever comes first. Of course then I didn't think we'd see "Ghost in the Shell 2.0" until Dreamworks live-action version came out, but here it is out next month (November). Ultimately, Sony has the ultimate say. Their actions so far would indicate their abilities, choices and preferrences though, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2009 2:29:27 AM PDT
ANDY G says:
Yes! No Streamline Dub = No Sale

Finally someone that agrees with me! I bought an Australian standard def DVD just for its "triple audio" format and have enjoyed a high quality original english "streamline" dub. The Pioneer dub pretty much blows. Its an anime nerd's dub, not a dub in the spirit of the anime, and certainly not making it any easier for english speakers to digest or enjoy.

When the lawyers get off their butts and allow the best and original Streamline dub to go on a Blu-ray I will be glad to tell people that the first Blu-ray disk I bought was Akira. Until then I"ll just rent inferior stuff from blockbuster.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2009 2:30:04 AM PDT
ANDY G says:
Yes! No Streamline Dub = No Sale

Finally someone that agrees with me! I bought an Australian standard def DVD just for its "triple audio" format and have enjoyed a high quality original english "streamline" dub. The Pioneer dub pretty much blows. Its an anime nerd's dub, not a dub in the spirit of the anime, and certainly not making it any easier for english speakers to digest or enjoy.

When the lawyers get off their butts and allow the best and original Streamline dub to go on a Blu-ray I will be glad to tell people that the first Blu-ray disk I bought was Akira. Until then I"ll just rent inferior stuff from blockbuster.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 3:40:16 AM PDT
J. Kouns says:
I've never seen another anime film before.

I've never seen another anime SHOW before.

I'm 30.

The first version of Akira I saw was from my cousin, on VHS, in 1992. It had the "streamline" dub.

I bought the Pioneer DVD to show my girlfriend. I popped it in, and it only took me minutes to pop it back out.

I wasn't listening "FOR" anything, really, I was waiting to "FEEL" something. SOmething that never came.

Emotion.

I didn't care who -voiced -what PRIOR to the new dub. I wanted a version with EMOTION.

I myself am a voice actor. I am also a musician. It honestly comes down to what I prefer to "FEEL".

No amount of ridicule of the old dub will change that. I want to watch AKIRA, with an ENGLISH dub, with some EMOTION.

For me, that's the Streamline dub.

No retort necessary, J. Bradley - I'm sharing my opinion with like-minded folk.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 1:47:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2009 1:59:36 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Manga Entertainment owns the rights to the Dub and Pioneer/Geneon and now whoever owns Akira Bandai? Did not want to pay for the rights to it in region 1.

The best version of the Streamline dub currently available in the Criterion CAV special edition in which the audio is lossless PCM and not a bad downmix to low bitrate dolby 2.0. with bad pal speedup and region locked for region 2 or 4. They could have used that master for the blu ray but obviously did not want to pay the money.

I have the dvd with the 2001 dub and it is awful i would just as soon watch the japanese with the subtitles. The guy who plays Tetsuo is just bad in this dub reads his lines like a robot.

Wish I could have seen the Tokyo Premiere in 70mm and 6-track magnetic sound.

The closest you will ever get to that is the blu ray. It is also the most true ever release to the animation cels and would be perfect except for the softness produced by the dvnr, also a slight amount of edge enhancement neither which are really noticeable at 24 fps. The audio possibly the best on any anime release for the japan soundtrack, truly immersive.

It is one of the top five best looking and sounding anime blu rays they did not just dump the old dvd master to disc, they spent a considerable amount of money going back to the original elements and restoring them.

If you account for inflation Akira is probably the single most expensive Anime ever made, unlike the limited animation of traditional anime Akira used tons of cels like a western animation would.

But then people will telll you they hate the streamline dub because it sounds like ninja turtles,lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 1:58:58 PM PST
I. Gaston says:
After all this debate I bought the Madman DVD on ebay and then made a DVD backup of it, which strips the region info. Then I could watch it on my regular DVD player. I have to say after 10 years of not hearing it, I still like the original dub better. I can see what J Bradley says about the sync beign better on the new dub, but honestly I don't care about a technicality like that. The original interpretation of the dialog and acting is just plain better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 2:03:36 PM PST
M. Gaudet says:
I totally agree with your oct 1 post duckman, because George Lucas destroyed the real original star wars trilogy and replaced it with an abomination with cartoon cgi, free hat and the indiana jones episode pretty much nail the issue of changing a classic and ruining it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 5:37:13 PM PST
THEY RAPED INDIANA JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 9:23:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2009 9:25:54 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
M. Gaudet reiterates my point in that the Blu-Ray REALLY looks like they put the effort into restoring it. When I watch it, it looks like it did when I saw it in '90 in this theater we have in town that has an arc-light illuminated projector. I mean you can see all the brush strokes and pencil lines, well, more like ink lines - anyway, gorgeous!
Still though, why no Streamline dub? It's inaccurate, it's hammy, it's simply of lesser quality. They're gonna' put ALL that effort into makin' it look and sound great and THEN have this OLD CARTOON sounding voicetrack on it. No way. You guys keep rippin' an' burnin' one. I'm REALLY glad people with taste are IN CHARGE.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 1:02:04 PM PST
Duckman says:
Oh great, you're still here, J. Bradley? Do you have anything better to do than irritate us old time Akira fans? You're like a Nazi trying to convince a room full of irate Soviets that communism is evil and fascism is good. You can bash the Streamline dub and praise the technical aspects of the Akira blu-ray and Pioneer dub all you want, but you aren't going to change our minds.

"I'm REALLY glad people with taste are IN CHARGE."

No, just people driven by profit are in charge.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 1:57:34 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
Yeah, but they also have intelligence and taste, that's what you have to have to get to that level.
I kinda' think I'm more like a beat cop, lining up a bunch of little punks against the wall and giving them a lecture and telling them to run home and I don't want to see 'em out this late any more. You all need to go hang out some place else if all you want to do is bitch about things that are done that you - either by choice or intelligence level - don't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 3:53:54 PM PST
I. Gaston says:
ignore the troll. do not feed the troll.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 4:15:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2009 4:15:30 PM PST
Duckman says:
"I kinda' think I'm more like a beat cop, lining up a bunch of little punks against the wall and giving them a lecture and telling them to run home and I don't want to see 'em out this late any more."

No, you're more like a troll. You know that you aren't going to change our minds about this matter so you only come here to irritate us, what a sad c*** you are. The fact that you're the only poster here who keeps bleating about how the Pioneer dub is mana from heaven further cements my point.

Remember that scene in the "Stimpy's Invention" episode of Ren and Stimpy where Ren bashes his own head numerous times with a hammer? You should do that to yourself so that we don't have to read your BS ever again.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 4:45:42 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
I'm the only one HERE who's pro '01 dub, and that's probably because of the way this board is titled. Until Sony - or whoever owns the rights then - puts the OLD, cartoony-sounding Streamline dub back on an official video release, or maybe even back in theaters, indicating their regard for it, I think I can keep feeding the 'eediots to the lions and enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 4:56:39 PM PST
I. Gaston says:
maybe... because the 01 dub is universally reviled except by trolls and random critics who don't generally represent popular opinion anyway. Ever notice how critics give movies generally lower reviews than everyday joes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 6:27:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2009 6:34:12 PM PST
Duckman says:
"I'm the only one HERE who's pro '01 dub, and that's probably because of the way this board is titled."

Exactly, you're about as welcome at this topic as Bob Larson at a Deicide concert, so GTFO, troll. It's been established that the majority here prefers the Streamline dub over the Pioneer one, so go to another topic whose consensus falls in line with your views because you're just getting your a$$ chewed up here.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 6:42:57 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
What, is this Duckmanazon now? You own this site? I don't think so.
Actually, back in '01 it was universally praised. I know that's why I upgraded from the laserdisc because the new dub was getting so much ink. Yeah, many times movies get more box-office than good reviews, but in this case, the indicators are that this version is getting the sales as well. The first edition, with only the '01 dub on it, with the booklet and everything - was sold out before the fall, I know I waited and missed my chance on it. Certainly that's telling of the acceptance of this version. Those that only rip and burn their dvds - like the 8 or so on this discussion board it would seem, have no perception of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2009 8:29:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2009 8:31:22 PM PST
Duckman says:
"What, is this Duckmanazon now? You own this site? I don't think so."

I was referring to this topic, not the website. How dense are you?

"Actually, back in '01 it was universally praised."

That's why there were numerous old time Akira fans who walked out of theaters during Akira's limited theatrical re-release 8 years ago.

"The first edition, with only the '01 dub on it, with the booklet and everything - was sold out before the fall, I know I waited and missed my chance on it. Certainly that's telling of the acceptance of this version."

Of course you leave out several factors YET AGAIN. First of all, a good number of the people who bought the DVDs haven't seen much anime, and with this lack of experience, will think the new dub is peachy keen. Second, a good number of older Akira fans probably sold those DVDs after hearing that ear sodomy committed by Johnny Yong Bosch and Joshua Seth. Third, a good number of the people happy with the DVD were content for the fact that it contained the original Japanese track on it. If you've actually read the positive reviews for it, you'd notice that some of them express disappointment and even disdain for the re-dub but still praise it for its inclusion of Japanese and depending on the edition, special features. Even if you were right about the "acceptance" of the new dub, we still wouldn't care. We prefer the old dub and NOBODY is changing our minds

I remember getting the Akira special edition DVD seven years ago, hyped up as all hell, only to find out it was re-dubbed and I was ready to kill someone after hearing that ear rape. It wasn't long before I sold it and watched a crusty VHS copy (still have the tape just to collect it) until Madman released a PROPER DVD release of it two years later. It may lack the special features found on the special edition DVD or the high def qualities on the blu-ray, but the Madman DVD smokes them both because it has the REAL English dub on it.

JB, if you want us to stop spitting on you, it would be in your best interest to go somewhere where your opinions will be welcomed.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 10:16:33 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
You're not spitting on me, I'm holding up pretty well against all your "facts".
I think if there were mass walk-outs of the very limited re-release of Akira, THAT would have gotten more press attention than the release itself. You must have walked out with a bunch of other people to smoke - something.
The new generation of fans with "little anime experience" are basically who it's made for and the best to present a CORRECTED version to. If they never release the old version, this one is all that future generations will ever know (Yay!) Also too, those old-timers, like you, that feel like they've had their ears porked, and sell their copies on the secondary market are probably selling them also to that new generation, while you're still watching the VHS tape, which will probably go bad in ten years if it hasn't already.
I HAVE seen a few reviews for this new Blu Ray that don't really glow about the '01 dub, but there is NOBODY(!) who is crying "Bring back the English '88 Streamline dub." No. Body.

I'm still on topic. Go ahead. Knock me off. I dare ya'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 2:54:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2009 3:08:05 PM PST
Duckman says:
"You must have walked out with a bunch of other people to smoke - something."

Oh, you got me there!! Teeheeheehee!! And I didn't imply "mass walkouts," I was just indicating there were people who DID walk out of the theatrical re-release.

"while you're still watching the VHS tape, which will probably go bad in ten years if it hasn't already."

Can you not read? I'm keeping that tape only as a collector's item. If I feel like watching Akira, I bust out the Madman DVD.

"I HAVE seen a few reviews for this new Blu Ray that don't really glow about the '01 dub, but there is NOBODY(!) who is crying "Bring back the English '88 Streamline dub." No. Body."

Oh really? Take a look at R. Hood's review:

"Had a chance to look at this Blu-ray release of what is arguably the greatest Anime movie ever created. After the thoroughly disappointing Pioneer release on DVD, I was hoping somebody would have gotten a clue and included the original English audio track (as the Region 4 DVD release does).

Alas, this version only provides the "new" English audio track -- the politically correct version made just for America. What's the point of having 50GB of room if you can't even include the original English track? I don't recommend this for anybody who really cares about the film. 5 stars for the improved picture, but minus 3 for the horrible "new" English audio track being the only option. Wanna produce dubs for repressed Americans? Then start making your own animated movies!"

There's similar complaints from reviewers like Leonardo Fuddy, K. Effendi, and Benjamin Peck; read their reviews and weep. There ARE reviews about the blu-ray that express disdain for the lack of the Streamline dub. Looks like you didn't do your homework, YET AGAIN. I AM spitting on you. In fact, I just blasted a giant hocker all over your face with the above point I made.

I read your silly little new thread and I just laughed because you don't cover any new ground, just the same Sony and Pioneer-stroking garbage you've repeated a hundred times since you started trolling this thread. Seriously, you really need to get laid since you have nothing better to do than troll people who hate your guts.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 3:29:41 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
Who the heck's R. Hood, Leonardo FUDDY(?), K. Effendi and Benjamin P-P-PECK(?)?!

The thread I started will do the same thing the negative one's do, attract the like-minded. Very few look down at the bottom of the page at these threads, so at some point when some new interest in "Akira" comes along, like the supposed live action movie or maybe they play it on one of the cable networks or hey, maybe a new disc release, then people start buzzin' around and they notice. The ground I cover is new to THAT thread and the facts I lay out - you know about facts - are the starting point for the discussion there. I know you don't know anything about discussion.
Computers are everywhere, so it's easy to respond to these discussion boards. As easy as getting laid, at least for me, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2009 4:26:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2009 4:27:24 PM PST
Duckman says:
"Who the heck's R. Hood, Leonardo FUDDY(?), K. Effendi and Benjamin P-P-PECK(?)?!"

Scan through the first two or three pages of the most recent reviews for Akira, stupid.

"The ground I cover is new to THAT thread and the facts I lay out - you know about facts - are the starting point for the discussion there. I know you don't know anything about discussion."

Your frequent boasting about "facts" makes me laugh. It may be a fact that the Pioneer dub is closer to the original Japanese script, but you keep overlooking the FACT that word for word translations are extremely amateurish. Professional translations conform to the nuances and cultural influences found in the language the original is being translated to. The dumbells working at Pioneer translated the script word for word and with the contributions of the cavalcade of talentless voice actors, made an extremely dull, annoying dub appealing to the banal valium poppers like yourself.

"Computers are everywhere, so it's easy to respond to these discussion boards. As easy as getting laid, at least for me, anyway."

I really doubt any girl would want to get some action from a lunk whose main contribution to society is trolling an Amazon thread because all he cares about is annoying people who have an opinion different from his.

I've made my points, I'm done. No need to reply, fascist troll, because I'm not going to bother reading whatever diarrhea you type up because there's no point in trying to argue logically with an obsessive waste of genetic debris like yourself. From now, I'll starve you, the worthless troll, to death by not replying to your bulls***.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 5:12:10 PM PST
J. Bradley says:
Great. It's like Brad Pitt in "The Fight Club", I let you beat me down enough, eventually I own the place.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 9:02:46 PM PST
I. Gaston says:
LOL J Bradley, you are almost as amusing as the half human/half alien baby in Alien Ressurection. Much as that baby alien was inadvertently sucky, so too the '01 dub is inadvertently lame. This thread would be perfect if it included stills of you being sucked through a pinhole in a space ship blast window, just like the end of that movie. I'll remember your insightful posts about bad business decisions fondly. You can be the king of crap mountain if you like.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Akira [Blu-ray] forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  172
Initial post:  Feb 24, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Akira [VHS]
Akira [VHS] by Nozomu Sasaki (VHS Tape - 1999)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,245)