Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Customer reviews

No bullshit guide to math and physics
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$28.21+ Free shipping

on January 28, 2017
A Brilliant Summary Of Calculus And Physics

If you take the chapter review summaries of your math and physics classes and stuff them into one book, this is it. If you are looking to learn the subject(s) from to to bottom, you'll need more sources.

As a college student in Calc 2 and General Physics 1, I've found the book insanely helpful for straight-to-the-solution style concepts. It's a second look at concepts that were a little hazy for me from the school textbooks.

Highly recommended!
9 people found this helpful
on April 6, 2018
This is essentially a condensed desk reference for basic HS/college math & physics topics.
If I still had (I don't) and decided to organize, print & bind all my old HS/college math and physics notes, the result would be something like this. Seems good if you're looking to refresh concepts you've previously learned, or to quickly reference topics from a class.

Not sure yet how well it works for introducing a totally new concept to someone who's unfamiliar with it. It seems a bit light on conceptual details and "first principles", and mostly just says what stuff is by definition. For example, it might jump from 1 form of a polynomial to its factors w/o explaining that step - you're just supposed to recognize that's what happened and know what it did.

The text & examples are ok so far - some hit & miss. The appendix in the back is a nice quick reference - if you've forgotten the "Big G" gravitational constant, or what a "Newton" or the speed of light are (and you actually have some reason to care), then this is a handy place to look it up. Of course, you could just as easily Google most of what's in here and get a similar response.

The font is rather tiny, especially in the graphs & illustrations, making them a bit hard to read. This was "printed on demand" but the paper quality is ok. The cover of mine showed up a little bent, but overall this will be fine to sit on a shelf until I need to look up some math or physics thing I've forgotten how to do, or have kids old enough to want to know those things. Not so much a "read it cover to cover" kind of book, as far as I can tell so far.

I also have to say I love the author's perspective on getting rid of overpriced & deliberately confusing/crappy textbooks! This purchase was worth it if only to support that mission. I got this one kind of on a whim along w/the "Linear Algebra" title that I originally wanted. College textbooks on these topics would cost $100s for pretty much the same information, so in that regard this is a better purchase.
3 people found this helpful
on August 24, 2015
Outstanding! I purchased this title (along with several math/physics titles from the IdiotsGuide and DeMystified series) in order to get back up to speed in these subjects with the objective of being adequately prepared to help my children with homework as they move through high school. I must say that I would have killed to have this text when I was 15. The author is a genius and an excellent tutor. I took Algebra/Geometry/Trig/Calculus in high school but was hardly a math wizard and I avoided higher level math in college. This is hands down the best calculus/physics refresher course available. The text provides some of the clearest, most concise explanations I have ever seen and links all of the concepts together. It covers material that would require the purchase of at least six different books in some of the other self-teaching series available and it’s a heck of a lot more fun to read. If you have no math background at all, please be mentally prepared. Due to the lack of fluff, this guide goes from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye. If you are in school now, this guide may be the best money you ever spent. Despite the colorful language in places, I’m ordering a second copy so that each of my kids will have his own. Although my educational path led me to become part of the “system” (see pg. 280), I’d like to think that if I’d had Mr. Savov’s text in high school, I might have chosen math/science.
28 people found this helpful
on October 27, 2015
Good book! Will you be able to teach a first grader physics? No. This book is sort of billed as a guide to understanding Math and Physics that anyone could use. Anyone would be lost, but if you have a background that includes algebra at some point, then this book will be an excellent way to learn these subjects. It is also great as a refresher guide. Mr. Savov did an excellent job on this book. He uses plain English to teach the subjects. I can't wait for his book on statistics. I had the class (20 years ago), but I really need a refresher. Thank you Ivan.
on September 27, 2016
Great !!...Finally I understand what is deviation/integral. During my all eduction all I learned was just memorizing technique to solve equation. This book explain background and fundamental concept of math. Strongly recomand for developer.
on March 21, 2016
I bought this book because I hadn't attended any type of academic schooling for 10 years, and in my experience with textbooks, the author is dead on, they exist to continually produce money and overcomplicate topics, that haven't changed in hundreds of years. When taking calculus I, this book was the most valuable resource I had. When taking Physics I, I was blown away with the simplicity in the book, as opposed to the complex notes that my teacher gave us. Overall, this is totally worth the money, and it's the equivalent of having an extremely good, expensive tutor to explain the concepts to you.
on October 7, 2014
Okay, so I just got this book not too long ago and have read through quite a bit of it.

First off, I have to say, Mr. Ivan Savov is a genius.

This book is clear and concise. It cuts straight to the point without trying to make things complicated; nor does the writer speak to you like you're to have this natural understanding as to what everything is. It is truly a "no bulls***" text.

I would recommend this as a supplemental book to any kind of text that a first year Calculus/Physics student would be taking. I could even go as far as to say that this book works as a wonderful self-teaching text.

Aside from all of these wonderful technical aspects, my jaw was and still is dropped with the amazing hidden messages within this book. In between all of the learning, Ivan touches base on the importance and value of the tools being presented within this text. Whatever it is you decide to use these tools for is entirely up to you.

All in all, this book definitely deserves a 5 out of 5 stars. My only regret is that I wish I could meet Ivan Savov to shake his hand.
76 people found this helpful
on July 30, 2015
I ordered this book because of the reviews, and it is just as they describe, very easy to read, and as simple as math could possibly be explained. Author has cool chill attitude and actually quite funny (never expected that from math tutor!), it takes the stress of not getting everything at once away.
If you trying to refresh your high school/college knowledge of math and physics than this book will be just right for you.
review image
39 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2017
I just got done with this text and enjoyed it thoroughly. The material is presented well and to the point. Some of the jokes and language I could have done without but that was a minor point. This is an EXCELLENT way to introduce one to physics.
I wish I had this text in high school along with the usual calc course.

Then why only four stars? I submit that the prerequisite, Chapter One, needs to be expanded significantly to prepare the learner for things to come. I know of two people who chucked this book into the old "O" file because they found the thing tough going.
One person found this helpful
on November 22, 2017
I wish text books were written so clearly. I needed to review my basic mathematics in order to do some research into some algorithms I've always been curious about. I purchased this book as a means of reviewing what i had learned in classes 30 or so years ago. This book is so well written that I not only regained what I had first learned but also learned far more and with a deeper understanding of the topic.

Great book and I highly recommend it to anyone want to learn for the first time or get back up to speed on the topic.

Well done Mr. Savov!