Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2013, 12:33:43 PM PDT
That is just silly! I have 4 kindles...so I could get rid of the hundreds of paperbacks and hardbacks I had accumulated over the past 30 years. Now with the paperwhite all my dreams have come true. I can read in bed and just shut the cover as I drift off to sleep. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors...why are we being punished for not wanting to lug a book around?

Posted on Apr 1, 2013, 1:47:51 PM PDT
Joseph Ashby says:
I used to automatically buy anything by Stephen King, but after Mile 81 and In the Tall Grass, I'm not per-ordering a damn thing from him. He may be doing all us e-readers a real favor.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 8:49:26 AM PDT
It's time for authors to stop making our reading venue decisions for us. Some of us use e-readers because of our reading lifestyle. As a constant traveler I need to travel light. As a chronic multi-reader, I always have 3-7 books going at once. I can either lug them around with me, or I can carry one e-reader.

The book isn't the paper, Mr. King. The book is the words, the story. The paper is only a medium for the telepathic message. The e-reader screen is no different. Do us all a favor and stop trying to force us into a medium that doesn't work for us.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 10:27:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2013, 10:28:16 AM PDT
M. says:
I have all King's hardback books up til the ereader came out. Then I began using it as it was so much easier to carry around than a big hardback book, to work, the park, doctor appts, etc. I will wait til this is out as an ebook too. As Toohey said, it isn't HOW you read a book, it's the READING of the book, whether paper or screen. King needs to keep up with the times.

Posted on May 14, 2013, 10:14:20 PM PDT
Saddy says:
Kudos to Mr. King for actually helping generate some activity for the post office, dusting off the printing presses, and providing a new coaster for my hot chocolate.

The writer is his first audience member. If the audience wants paperback, it's okay with me.

Posted on May 20, 2013, 4:32:56 PM PDT
David Adams says:
God, e-readers are the whiniest bunch.

Posted on May 21, 2013, 7:00:23 AM PDT
Usuallee says:
Only available in paperback?? *sigh* It's so tough being a privileged member of an elite, highly developed society....first world problems...

Posted on May 22, 2013, 8:36:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013, 8:37:26 AM PDT
Gail says:
This is a bummer!!! Besides being convenient, e-readers are necessary for people who have vision problems. There are no glasses available that would enable me to read the print in a book right now. Boo!! I also see it is on CD but didn't see audible. Grrrr!

Posted on May 22, 2013, 11:41:41 AM PDT
Mandy P. says:
Lug a book around? Dude, it is a paperback, and only 288 pages at that. Probably even lighter than a kindle. Stop whining.

Posted on May 23, 2013, 4:57:01 AM PDT
A. Stubbs says:
I'm with you, Lennie. King has always been gimmicky, but his new one is biting the hands that feed him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 11:51:02 AM PDT
Jun.L says:
So true.

The entitlement is sickening. Saying that King "needs" to get with the times? Here's news for you: King doesn't have to do anything, especially for a whiny bunch of elitists who find it too difficult to "lug" a 200 page paperback around.

Posted on May 24, 2013, 8:32:20 PM PDT
Just makes me think you all haven't had the privilege of trying one. Your loss! Quite whining about those of us who enjoy the newer technologies and conveniences. Especially those of us who are challenged with poorer eyesight or travel a lot.
By the way, did you notice that you can wash clothes in a automatic washer these days?

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 8:52:41 PM PDT
Wow....did I start an "uncivil war" here? A lot of hostility ..... who'd have thunk it!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013, 8:54:42 PM PDT
King is slipping.....his books used to be 500+ pages

Posted on May 29, 2013, 4:30:24 PM PDT
King was one of the first to embrace ebooks, and it seems very strange that he would choose to release this in paperback only, which leads me to believe that it is a publisher choice that he perhaps is OK with.

I'll wait for the ebook release and if there isn't one, I guess I will skip this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013, 8:24:55 PM PDT
I'm right there with you!

Posted on Jun 6, 2013, 7:11:49 AM PDT
BC says:
He published it as a paperback as nostalgia for him, a memory of his childhood. He is entitled to do that. Stop whining and go buy the book, or shut up about it!

Posted on Jun 6, 2013, 7:14:40 AM PDT
BC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013, 5:13:16 AM PDT
Doesn't work that way. People who have things to say that you don't like don't just shut up at your will.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2013, 3:53:41 PM PDT
BC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013, 6:32:54 PM PDT
internech says:
Will there be a large print version of this? You could carry it around if it's paperback because it wont be that much bigger and heavier but will be easier to read. My library has a large print version of 11/22/63.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013, 1:00:24 AM PDT
Thank you for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013, 4:06:32 PM PDT
BC says:
@internech well wonderful for your library!! If it's not good enough for you, buy a magnifying glass and read Joyland! JEEZ!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2013, 4:25:00 PM PDT
internech says:
Bailey, you missed my point entirely. I bought the book the day it came out and finished it. I don't have a Kindle I just suggested that people with vision problems could read a large print version and it would not be very heavy or clumsy to carry. In your own words, stop being so negative.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013, 3:42:51 AM PDT
BC says:
If you have a disability, get the damn audiobook! Oh my god why does this thread even exist? It's bulls...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Joyland (Hard Case Crime)
Joyland (Hard Case Crime) by Stephen King (Paperback - June 4, 2013)
4.4 out of 5 stars (3,419)