Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

No more survival...not so much horror

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2011 2:58:42 PM PDT
Oh great just what we need...another online shooter. I'm not completely discrediting this game, it could be alot of fun. The genre survival horror is virtually non-existent anymore. For some reasons gamers (new generation specifically) seem to think that a game can only be fun if you cannot be defeated and that you have limitless resources and everything at your disposal at all times. Thats fine for some games...but not for RE. RE 5 went that way and its the worst RE title aside from some spinoffs. It was boring...nothing scary and you could go back through segments and bolster your ammo/supplies. Thats not what RE is supposed to be about. I want to feel like im barely making it and out of skill somehow I survive while being terrffied about what is lurking behind ever corner. I dont want to be a 500lb bodybuilder who chooses to be in a screwed up village infested for no other reason that to take down the "evil corporation" What ever happened to being vulnerable in games...that skill and thought outweighed firepower? Older gamers know that dying and often is one of the best parts about a "survival horror" game. Make me scared again, make me scour the map for supplies make me flesh and blood normal human set into impossible circumstances! Challenge me! Damnit Capcom get back to your roots. Casual gamers and FPS players already have thier avenues... Bring RE back!

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 7:11:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2011 7:22:01 AM PDT

I cannot agree with you more! I've actually started going back to my PS2 and finding the good survival horror games that I've missed over the years like fatal frame, dino crisis, and silent hill for this reason alone. While I'm not going to lie, I did enjoy RE5, it didn't feel like a resident evil. I mean, come on, zombies with freakin' gatling-guns? I also felt like they could have done so much more with the final fight with Wesker that EVERY resident evil prior had been leading up to. Where were Claire, Leon, Carlos, and hell, for that matter Ada (who had already been doing Wesker's bidding) in the mix?

After the release of RE5, the director said something about how he was going to go on with the series but start anew. I really hope this means that he plans to bring the series back to its former glory that the fans came to know and love.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 5:52:25 AM PDT
DJ says:
I agree David. I did enjoy RE5, but am ready to go back to some of the old atmospheres. I think that is the big issue, not gameplay, controls, graphics etc.. I simply miss the horror/suspense atmosphere. Dark, silent (except creeking doors and Zombie groans), lonely, constricted areas....an atmosphere that plays on everyones fears.

I don't mind change of pace sequels like RE4 and RE5, but i would like the next one to go back.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 5:50:46 PM PST
the only good survival horror game out there is dead space

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 5:57:00 PM PST
I take it you've never played Amnesia, Eternal Darkness, Prenumbra, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, or F.E.A.R...

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 5:41:33 AM PST
Fatal Frame is the best of all time just IMO. I do agree that Resident Evil needs to be brought back to it's survival roots as well as it's storyline and atmosphere. The creators said in an interview that this game is a new take on the franchise and for the core audience they will have the 3DS game. Now I'm not dissing the 3DS because Mercenaries has been fun and very good so I am sure the real 3DS RE game will be great, but I do want a current gen real RE. That being said, I go back to atmosphere. It can be a shooter, it can be online, but it better give the creep factor. That's what has been missing. I agree that in this generation of consoles, Dead Space has been the only franchise to offer that, but even that can be too sci-fi for a lot of horror fans. Come on Capcom and give us want we are looking for and you will have a classic!

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 7:31:22 PM PST
Mahdi A says:
The series is headed toward the action instead of horror
it's like they're selling another game with the same title.
I miss the old RE games where they were... you know ........ Scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 5:02:25 PM PST
S. steele says:
silent hill is the game for you bro. I <3 silent hill!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 12:50:05 AM PST
Sing it brotha/sista/whoever! If I wanted to play as a 'roided-up gun nut, I'd go pull up my DOS and bring out Duke 3D! RE5 was just RE4 in Africa with a better sidekick (I'll take African girl who likes to punch Wesker in the face over useless screaming rich girl any day!), but even then it was just...blah. No fear, no terror, no moment where you're actually so engrossed in the game you're screaming "DON'T DIE MAN, IT'S LIKE TWO FEET TO THE DAMN TYPEWRITER!" I miss RE 1 and I miss Wesker just being a dick. All this...nonsense about perfect societies and genetic tampering and ancient zombifying protoplasms or whatever just makes me think somebody's making games out of scripts M Night Shamylan rejected as 'too stupid to work'.

But I'm starting to think that's the way gaming is going. Kids these days don't know what it is to have miles between saves, no auto-saves, and three bullets to kill 19 monsters. They can get up for a bathroom break and just leave the protagonist standing around stupidly--back in the old days, you left your guy alone for two seconds, he was dead meat. Games are about handholding, violence, and as much sexual content as marketing can slip past the ratings board these days, and that's a damn shame.

Can't believe at 25 that I'm having the 'kids don't even know' rant and it's over videogames...nothing like the death of what used to be an amazing and beloved series to drag it out of you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 7:57:59 PM PST
Metalhammer says:
Well it's not really scary, and there are a tone of glitches, but Silent Hill Homecoming kind of limits your supplies.

To me the games have gotten so anti blind that I can't play them anymore anyways. That stupid part in RE5 with the truck, at the beginning, if having to use a manual aim isn't bad enough, they literally give me a second to find the barrel and my blind ass can't find it in time.

I miss the camra angles, but then they sucked in the remake at times, when they'd put such a wide view that the character is so far in the background I can't see them.

Also Resident evil is suppose to be about zombies, not villagers implanted by las plagas or whatever they're using for RE5. That being said I enjoyed 4 as a different type of game. i just don't think of it as a Resident evil game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 7:58:52 PM PST
Metalhammer says:
Oh, and say what you will about supplies, but on RE4 I love my infinite ammo rocket launcher and no one can make me give it up.. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 12:11:58 AM PST
I just turned 25 and I'm in that exact same boat. People praise uncharted 3 and batman:ac and they have got to be the 2 most dumbed down games i've ever played. So much hand holding going on a 5 year old could play them with no difficulty.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 10:26:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2012 10:27:14 PM PST
M. cabrera says:
wow someone gave the credit that fatal frame deserved, thx david
that said, lets just hope for RE6 to be what the series need...

and ps dont get me wrong, i already preorder this game... i will buy anything from re.. and i will love to play this c some friends
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about