Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Nobody finds the recipes in this book a bit contradictory?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2009, 11:05:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2009, 12:16:12 PM PDT
NewsView says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009, 1:14:14 PM PST
ohjodi says:
The "More-With-Less" cookbook was published in 1976 and the author is dead. I can't understand why you expect this book, which you haven't read, to have a "significant environmental or social justice benefit".

It's just a cookbook. A very good one. You're blaming this book for everything from obesity to the slaughter of wild horses. And YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK.

Amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009, 6:16:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2009, 6:52:42 PM PST
NewsView says:
All the more reason for discussion, don't you think?

Look how far our understanding of the issues has come!

This book tackles some weighty issues. Consequently, the discussion I generated is not a lightweight one, either. This may offend certain people, but typically socially conscious readers/shoppers -- the type of people who would be drawn to this type of cookbook to begin with -- have a grasp of tough issues and their social/environmental ramifications anyhow. I would not expect the type of reader this weighty of a cookbook would draw to be of the "kill the messenger" mindset. (In other words, I assumed if you're here, you can handle a discussion at this level because you're more concerned/aware than most anyhow.)

I appreciate now that the date on this copy is 1981. Honestly, it's surprising to see that it is still in print. Old stock doesn't usually last 29 years. If nothing else, a book that's still sold over 30 years after it was first published deserves an update. (And yes, the publisher can have, at a minimum, the Forward reworked -- they own the rights, after all.)

As for the scolding for having dared *talk* about a book I don't yet own: I'm SHOPPING. I can't pick this book up off a shelf. Here we have DISCUSSIONS instead of hands-on opportunities to review our purchases in person.

Amazon -- or actually the publisher -- provides a "Look Inside" option and this is exactly where I pulled the information from: not out of thin air.

As is anyone else's right, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss what the book has to offer, both pro and con. As is also anyone's right, it is also perfectly acceptable to pass up a discussion you have nothing to contribute but anger.

In all fairness, does it say anywhere in the Amazon rules that you are only allowed to discuss books you ALREADY own?

Kindly consider saving your frustration for the people who actually are violating the rules by REVIEWING & RATING BOOKS they don't buy. Note that I am NOT taking up space in the book review segment. I'm not bringing down the rating, either. I am exactly where I should be for pre-sale questions/concerns: in the DISCUSSION forum for this unique title.

For as many interactive features as this site offers, Amazon isn't a social networking site for the "Books I've Already Read" club. It is a commercial site and some of us have BUYING DECISIONS to make.

In the context of failing to realize how old the copyright was, I was truly taken aback and perplexed by the considerable amount of material I was able to read in the Forward that wasn't making sense in the modern context. So slay me for being human. Good Mennonite that you apparently, AREN'T, I suppose you've never a mistake? Hey, at least I admit mine!

Let's see if you can do the same.

Posted on Dec 20, 2009, 5:21:55 PM PST
M. High says:
No, I don't find the messages in this book contradictory. The dessert chapter is prefaced by a discussion of making things less sweet, going without, or eating plain yogurt for dessert.
Also, throughout the cookbook are tips for getting food from local sources that people may not think of: growing parsley under a drippy hose, getting middlings from a miller, soybeans, laying hens butchered with eggs inside, etc. etc. The cookbook predates the current locavore phenonmenon (which I entirely support) but reminds me that the "new" green ideas about eating are not new. Frugal people have always bought local, grown organic, and been modest eaters.
Based on the tone of your email, you probably would not like this cookbook. But it's a wonderful cookbook. I am a gourmet cook, but I use this cookbook right alongside Alice Waters and Julie Sahni. Three cheers for the Mennonites!

Posted on Jul 12, 2010, 3:08:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2010, 3:12:05 PM PDT
What are you talking about? This cookbook is jam-packed with "significant environmental or social justice benefit"!

It consists of page after page of recipes which are low-meat, high vegetable, high bean, high rice content! Sure, it's NOT a "vegan" cookbook, that is true, but frankly, I'm not alone in thinking that many (perhaps even most) "vegan" recipes are for the birds. And yes, I have eaten my fair share of "vegan" dishes, because I am an Orthodox Christian and we Orthodox fast, a lot, with no meat, eggs, or dairy for several months throughout every year, so I'm quite familiar with "vegan"! But even though it's not "vegan", it is (generally) low-meat, high fiber. It makes good use of cheese in order to end up with flavorful dishes, that is also true, so during the various fast periods I can't use some of the recipes in this cookbook.

So is this cookbook contradictory? No, not at all.

BTW, I've owned (and used, over and over again) this cookbook for over 20 years now. I'm working on my second copy, because the first one had become so thumb-eared from repeated use. In fact, it's my favorite cookbook (and I own tons of cookbooks) with "Joy of Cooking" running in second place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2010, 9:36:41 AM PDT
Blue Storm says:
If you aren't sure about buying this book, then maybe you can find it in a library? Amazon sometimes lets you have access to some of the pages.. I don't think it's enough to get the full concept of a book. I've purchased books based on those sample pages.. and sometimes ended up with something unlike what I originally thought it was going to be.. based on my preconceived notions. If you feel strongly about a book like this then maybe it's not the book for you..? or you can look at the book as a cookbook.. and substitute healthier options to replace what you think is unhealthy.. and disregard the author's written word about the environment and food in general if you feel that the recipes could be promising. In the end, it's up to you since it's your money. Spend it however you see fit. No diet is perfect.. so people can pick and choose whatever information that they can incorporate into their everyday lives.

Posted on Jul 21, 2013, 7:12:59 PM PDT
This has been one of my favorite cookbooks and was never in my mind contradictory in the least bit. In fact, it made me feel accountable while all the other cookbooks were crammed full of the traditional sugary and high protein rich foods we Americans have grown used to. This one made me think about other cultures and how they lived. I used to plan "meager meal" nights when my kids were little as a result of reading this. We ate a lot of lentils and black eyed peas. We didn't have to have meat every single night. One of our favorite, absolute favorites, was the recipe for the Honey Lentils with sausage. We also loved Baked Lentils with Cheese. They were an economical to feed growing, hungry kids and also remind them they didn't have to live "high on the hog." Plus in this book there was so many other tips on ways to live frugally and I didn't take advantage of all of them, wished I had.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
More-With-Less Cookbook
More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Longacre (Mass Market Paperback - Mar. 1981)
4.6 out of 5 stars (316)