Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 47 reviews
on July 22, 2017
I'm a librarian and responsible for the publicity at my library; unfortunately, I have no graphic design training. This book is a great introduction to graphic design principles and continues to be my go-to book when I need guidance and inspiration.
on March 12, 2013
I bought this book because a friend recommended it. I run an office by myself and am the marketer, graphic designer, and webmaster in addition to all my other responsibilities. I am often disappointed in my printed designs because they lack something, but I don't have the knowledge to identify what isn't working for me.

A few pages into the book, I started understanding some of the basics of design and layout. The first flyer I created after getting this book has received lots of positive feedback.

Williams writes in a way that anyone can understand and explains jargon, so we can "get it." The best part is that explanation of design concepts are complimented with illustrated examples of the point she is making. For instance, if you're reading why text placement looks better in certain layouts, the information is right there with "before and after" style illustrations. By seeing the examples in the book, I can go back to my design and look for similar problems I need to address.
on June 21, 2008
This is one of the best books I have ever purchased in my life. I love reading it and studying the examples.
This book is the marriage of two books in one.

I have an educational background in Visual Communications Technology, however my heart is in graphic design. I bought this book because I learned so much from Robin's earlier book, The Max Is Not a Typewriter. This book is excellent. She goes into detail concerning design principles with excellent examples. The second book is very detailed concerning the art of typography and the many punctuation mark methods used in the past by professional type setters. Lastly, she provides excellent examples to help the beginner designer learn how to become a professional graphic designer.

I have taken as many graphic design classes as I could as an undergraduate student. Yet I could not get admittance into the typography classes. I will say that the information in this second book is educating me in the art of typography so much so, that I do not feel a need to take a course in it. I will now purchase Robins Design Workshop Book, which is written for new graphic designers.

I can honestly say that this book is great. It is so refreshing to purchase a book in which the author not only cares about good design, but is willing to share her knowledge and expertise, as well as the expertise of her her design associates, of which she give credit to in her captions when she used the word, "we".

If you purchase this book, I am sure your will not regret it.
on January 13, 2010
This book is actually two books in one.
The first book (Non-Designer's design book) opens your eyes for good design. I just read it once while watching TV and the next day intuitively started applying what I had browsed. It affects the way you structure Emails, Word documents, ... Basically everything.

I was not happy with our website and all off the sudden could actually put in words what I didn't like about it. I could write a design guideline and ask web designers for quotes. I even started re-designing our companies trade show booth with over double the impact (enquiries, sales,...) as result.

If you are a small business owner or have to deal with anything design this is a great starting point.

I included research in my headline because I worked in research for a long time and know how crucial the reports, presentations and publications are for the career. I wish I would have had this book at that time.

The second book (type) got a bit dry and detailed for me but opened my eyes for effects of fonts. Needless to say that I changed my standard fonts in Word straight away.

Cheers,
Edward
on September 9, 2013
This book teaches you the basics of graphic design. Your publications, layouts, flyers, etc. will immediately look better after reading just one chapter of this book. This is a newer edition versus the original book Non-Designer's Design Book (2003) that includes information about website/online/digital layouts. The author, Robin Williams, even has books about Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign!

To established professional graphic designers, the ideas in this book may seem basic, but for folks that have been doing design for even a few years, this opens up your eyes to new ideas and techniques. I can't recommend it highly enough!
on April 30, 2012
I purchased this book for my own library after "test-driving" it from the public library. What a great book! Robin Williams (not the actor) not only describes the concepts of good design but demonstrates them in this engaging, well-written, and beautifully arranged book. Since I've read the book, I can't help but use the concepts in just about everything I do and the results have been spectacular. Most people love the work I've created even though they can't pinpoint why they like it--and that's OK. This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I highly recommend it to all of you.
on April 7, 2011
I have been waiting for this book for many years. As a technology teacher and document designer, I've written a few small reports of my own to fill the gaps - I should have waited for such an authoritive and instructive text. This book describes the simple elements of design and then demonstrates the genesis of good looking documents in a non-threatening way. Common mistakes in amateur's work are identified and then transformed by applying the lessons. Great stuff!
on December 13, 2013
This book should be required reading for front-end developers or anyone touching the UI who doesn't have a Design or UIUX background. It's a great point of departure. I read this maybe 4-5 years ago, and I still use the core information provided. In fact, I've just pulled it back out for a second reading. She pounds in some core concepts that once grasped will serve you well for years to come (plus a great c.r.a.p. acronym that's impossible to forget)!
VINE VOICEon July 17, 2008
Robin Williams' books are definitely an essential ingredient in any graphic designer's library. Everything is explained clearly and simply in terms that are easy to understand and often humorous. Williams gives excellent examples of the work she is describing. This book is an updated complete collection of her two best books: The Non-Designer's Design Book and The Non-Designer's Type Book. I highly recommend this book in particular, as so many designers do not have even the basic understanding of basic rules of design and page layout, or how to work with type and typography. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
on December 10, 2016
I bought this for class and it was extremely helpful. It was wonderful examples and pictures that really help you grasp basic design concepts.