Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 749 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 910 reviews
on May 19, 2016
This book has made all of my relationships more manageable. If you grew up in a dysfunctional family like I did, where communication usually happened in the form of guilt trips and passive aggression, this book can change your life. As soon as I started applying concepts like observing without judgment, communicating my needs and my feelings openly and honestly, asking for what would add joy to my life, and not taking ownership for other people's feelings or responses to me, I noticed a change in how people in my life responded to me and my requests. People began to seem more open to hearing me, and normal every day conflicts can be addressed without people getting escalated.
22 comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2014
I can truly say that this is one of the few books that have actually impacted my daily life in a meaningful and positive manner. I agree with some review comments about the rather simplistic seeming examples the author has used to illustrate some of the concepts and the back and forth questioning way of probing for details. But I take them just as illustrations to depict scenarios in a generic manner as the author tries to explain how we can adopt the principles he is presenting in our specific situations.
One great measure for my personal success has been how my own family has noted a very positive change in many of the daily situations and how I deal with them, over the past 3 months during which I have read and re-read the book to truly understand and implement the principles here. I guess one way for everyone to really review this book would be to measure it by the impact it has had on their lives. Good luck for the ones thinking about buying this book or already gotten but haven't started reading yet!
on March 12, 2016
Probably the most useful approach to communication... even transformative if applied... .
Thing is.... although what's suggested is not complicated (most readers IMO could understand and learn the surface of some of the ways of expressing and listening that are suggested) living/applying it is an ongoing continuing, sometimes challenging, process. Has had big payoffs in my life, anyway.
on February 16, 2016
The book made me rethink many of my statements. I find out really helped me gain a new perspective.
on May 20, 2017
A great book on how to communicate better, with open ears and an open heart.
on March 14, 2017
A wonderful book to help set your life on a peaceful path.
on June 5, 2015
This is a great book that is very helpful in understanding how we react to things in our life, big and small. There are schools using it with students and I think that is a wonderful thing. Personally I wish the name was different, Non-Violent Communication sounds as if a court ordered you to read the book. It is not specifically for people with Anger issues or for people who are Violent...it is a guidebook to understand how we react to things in life, and how sometimes that leads to escalating misunderstandings, and the book explains how what matters is understanding which of our needs we are wanting to be met, and listening to the other people's needs as well. And doing it all while being empathetic to the other person and ourselves. I have found it to probably be the single most helpful book I have read in my life, and I have probably reread it 10 times.
on September 1, 2016
Hard words to hear and implement but helpful when practiced.

O - Observation without judgement... this is really hard
F - Connect with/express feelings... don't confused feelings with judgements or needs, also tough
N - Connect feelings with needs... I'm feeling x because I am needing y. Don't confuse needs with strategies to get those needs met. Be flexible with the strategy.
R - Request...be willing to make clear requests (not demands) to get your need met. Be willing to accept denial of that request and be willing to move to another strategy for the meeting of the need.
on January 21, 2014
Good book to enable better relationship skills and understanding your emotions that don't judge or point fingers at others. Resolutions.
on May 12, 2017
This book was very helpful for me. The ideas and methods presented seem strange and a bit unnatural, but after reading this book I feel that I am much better at listening to others and understanding and communicating my own feelings and needs.